• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mecklenburg County Information Please

CarryHard

Sheriff Dan Bailey in Mecklenburg County Issued my PPP recently and I'm going to buy a pistol soon

I had some questions tho about this county (Is it even allowed here or what level of resistance will I meet)

Anyways on with the questions.

• 1 --- I read this- "Unless arrested, never give ID to a LEO. Never consent to a search of body or processions."
  • 2 --- I thought it was illegal to carry open inside a resurant in North Carolina but I see people in this sub-forum talking about eating in resturants?
  • 3 ---- If i am stopped by a LEO what would be the appropriate action to ensure my safety?

Also any additional information to ensure my saftey in doing this would be much appreciated

Thank you for your time and replys

aosailor

Sheriff Dan Bailey in Mecklenburg County Issued my PPP recently and I'm going to buy a pistol soon

I had some questions tho about this county (Is it even allowed here or what level of resistance will I meet)

Anyways on with the questions.

• 1 --- I read this- "Unless arrested, never give ID to a LEO. Never consent to a search of body or processions."
  • 2 --- I thought it was illegal to carry open inside a resurant in North Carolina but I see people in this sub-forum talking about eating in resturants?
  • 3 ---- If i am stopped by a LEO what would be the appropriate action to ensure my safety?

Also any additional information to ensure my saftey in doing this would be much appreciated

Thank you for your time and replys

1st off congrats on getting your PPP, and good luck with your future carrying endeavors!

#1) NC is NOT a stop and ID state, so if a cop stops you and starts asking questions (unless you are doing something illegal/driving a car) you dont have to answer or let them search you. All you are required to do is give them your name and address, you can do so by just telling them.

#2) It is illegal to carry into establishment that sell alcohol by the drink or otherwise known as ABC on-premises consumption. that includes bars and most "sit-down" types of restaurants. there are plenty of eateries/restaurants that dont serve alcohol, so as long as they are not posted, you are perfectly fine in carrying there.

#3) this is is probably the toughest to answer because there really is no "right" answer, but plenty of wrong ones. These are a few of my suggestions: Most obviously NO SUDDEN MOVES especially towards your gun. be polite yet stern, dont be afraid to stand your ground if you truly believe you are correct. Do not actively or physically resist if the police go "hands-on" but state loudly and clearly that you are against what they are doing, but you will not actively resist. Oh and keep a recording device with you at all times. I have a voice recording app on my phone, just 2 quick clicks and I'm good to go. If I have enough time I'll turn on my video recorder. NC is a single party consent state which means that only one party being recorded needs to consent or even know they are being recorded. (you are always that single party)

I'm sure plenty more people will reply to this with much more info for ya, so good luck and be safe.

Oh and to just CMA (cover MY @$$) IANAL but I played one when I was sued (and won)

Last edited:

jerz_subbie

1st response got it pretty good, but I'll put it in my words and add to #3.

1)NC is not a stop and ID state so unless you are suspected of committing a crime or driving a vehicle, you are not required to show ID. Sometimes it may just be a lot easier to do so, but it's your right to refuse. You must verbally give your name and address

2) you can carry in restaurants that do not sell alcohol for consumption on premises

3) 1st thing out of your mouth when stopped should be "I am legally carrying a firearm, it is [location]" while keeping your hands in plain view, making no sudden movements and wait for the officer to tell you how he wants to handle it from there. I think most will disarm you. My biggest gripe about disarming is many times they run the s/n to see if it's stolen but I see that as a violation of my 4th.

I've never OC'ed in Mecklenburg, but diffused a situation at UPS once when a lady was scared of an old man's holstered revolver. Good luck!

Last edited:

sultan62

#1) NC is NOT a stop and ID state, so if a cop stops you and starts asking questions (unless you are doing something illegal/driving a car) you dont have to answer or let them search you. All you are required to do is give them your name and address, you can do so by just telling them.

1)NC is not a stop and ID state so unless you are suspected of committing a crime or driving a vehicle, you are not required to show ID. Sometimes it may just be a lot easier to do so, but it's your right to refuse. You must verbally give your name and address

Cite?

CarryHard

Well guys i bought a glock 19 9mm

Tried out several pistols before i decided on the glock
was going to get a beretta 92A1 but read many bad reviews and stuff about jams and slide failure

I wore my glock in a glock side holster
Open carried into wal-mart

Bought some stuff in the clothes section and then bought 100 rounds of 9mm rounds

Didn't get much looks or anything but the cashier guy seemed freaked out.
Then i went to throw 100 white box rounds through my lego pistol at the range :)

Last edited:

sultan62

Congrats! Over time, you'll find that even reactions like you got from the cashier are significantly less than 1 in 10, and that the majority of interactions are positive, at least in my experience.

CarryHard

Congrats! Over time, you'll find that even reactions like you got from the cashier are significantly less than 1 in 10, and that the majority of interactions are positive, at least in my experience.

Yes well i am going to start open carrying on my scooter to when i ride around so nobody will try mugging me at night

the problem i see tho is the police might think i am a bandit or something!!