• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

walking down the street with a rifle

1245A Defender

huh,,,

is it ilegal to walk down the street in california with a rifle or shotgun to my shoulder???

nearly two and a half years, here, and 4 posts...
have you read the stickies?
did you know that long gun carry is not a topic for this forum?
would you carry your pistol,,, in your hand, on the street in california?
the answer to your question, is NO!

thanks for playing...

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

mjones

is it ilegal to walk down the street in california with a rifle or shotgun to my shoulder???

I think a shouldered firearm (I read that as 'at the shoulder in a firing position') is clear PC for arrest via PC 417 (a)(2) unless I could be convinced of an exception.

Detainment at gunpoint, preferably with a longgun, while things are sorted out...

CORN BORN

Dude, really. I think Will said it best..."Sometimes people arent ready for the firearm community, Sometimes the firearm community arent ready for the people":banghead:

Ca Patriot

I believe if the rifle is on a sling over your shoulder it would be legal. Opinions ?

sharkey

Some here are nitpicky. I'm sure you meant on not to. Having said that, there is a huge difference in meaning between those words.

KBCraig

No.

But carrying long guns is off-topic, and against the rules of this forum. It's the very first forum/topic listed.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
"14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry."

Firemark

Take a look at the petition against AB 144 to ban open carry in much of California - it points out that the bill, if passed, actually forces everybody to carry long guns in public as that would remains the only option left th bear arms in many or most public places.

See http://www.petitiononline.com/CalOCPet/petition.html

SSHHHH!!!!
IX nay on the gong luns ay. Dont telegraph our hand to the libs. Its still our ace in the hole IF AB144 does pass