• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many of you OC with a round chambered?

meggers

I have a relatively new Glock 19 which I OC on my right side (3 o'clock position) in a BlackHawk Serpa Holster. As you know the holster has active retention (you have to push a button to draw) which releases a lock that sits firmly inside the trigger guard.

I'm told that (a) there have been accidental discharges by people with the Serpa holster that don't keep their index finger straight (on the frame) when drawing, instead they allow it to bend/curve which can pull the trigger; and (b) that Glocks have a safety mechanism that blocks the firing pin when in the vertical position.

At this point, I've decided not to OC with a round chambered out of fear of an accidental discharge. Although it's nice to know that they've supposedly fixed the holster flaws and that Glocks have a safety for holstered weapons, I won't trust the safety of my leg with either.

In addition, I have yet to receive my CPL, so keeping a round chambered would mean constant loading/unloading as I get out/in my car.

What do you think? Am I being paranoid? Do you keep a round hot? Any thoughts for or against are appreciated!

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I have the same set up. Before I got my CPL I carried the same way, so that I could pop the magazine before entering a vehicle.

After one LEO encounter where the officer said it is dumb not to carry a round in the chamber, I switched to full ready. I still say though that carrying is more important with or without the round in the chamber, and must give you kudos for doing so.

I have never had any problems with Negligent discharge, and like the fact that because you have to push the button with your trigger finger your finger is in ready position to insert over the trigger if need be.

If you are worried about it make sure your weapon is empty and practice drawing it from you holster (something we should do anyway) you'll find that you really don't have much to worry about.

Badger Johnson

Why not do a test using snap-caps? See if you can cause an "AD" with normal handling. I put "AD" or accidental discharge in quotes because with a snap-cap you can't discharge a round, obviously.

IMO, racking the slide during a high-stress situation where fine motor control is at issue would be a problem for some people and if so, it's better to carry "hot".

However, it's perfectly fine to take baby steps, to keep thinking and pondering and then when you're comfortable, carry with one in the chamber. It's partly familiarity with the HG and part mental confidence.

I started out carrying with no magazine, then nothing in the chamber, and now after a month, carrying hot. For my own reasons I don't OC.

Wolfebane

I carry at 1911, so I carry a round in the chamber, hammer back, and the thumb safety on.

So unless I'm in a horrible accident and the gun takes a hit hard enough to discharge (which would likely mean I'd be dead or close to it) or I drop the gun (which would only be a possibility - at least in public - if I drew the weapon which so far I have never had cause to do) I feel confident in my weapon and myself that its the best way to carry in case it's ever needed to save my life - so I don't have to waste precious seconds either chambering a round or cocking the hammer back. Not to mention the trigger can't be pulled unless the grip safety is depressed.

Last edited:

charleysbad

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
I have a relatively new Glock 19 which I OC on my right side (3 o'clock position) in a BlackHawk Serpa Holster. As you know the holster has active retention (you have to push a button to draw) which releases a lock that sits firmly inside the trigger guard.

I'm told that (a) there have been accidental discharges by people with the Serpa holster that don't keep their index finger straight (on the frame) when drawing, instead they allow it to bend/curve which can pull the trigger; and (b) that Glocks have a safety mechanism that blocks the firing pin when in the vertical position.

At this point, I've decided not to OC with a round chambered out of fear of an accidental discharge. Although it's nice to know that they've supposedly fixed the holster flaws and that Glocks have a safety for holstered weapons, I won't trust the safety of my leg with either.

In addition, I have yet to receive my CPL, so keeping a round chambered would mean constant loading/unloading as I get out/in my car.

What do you think? Am I being paranoid? Do you keep a round hot? Any thoughts for or against are appreciated!

i never carry unless loaded hot but i carry xd 45 almost impossible to acc. discharge i believe there is no point in carrying unless chambered kinda pointless::dude:

irish52084

I carry with a round in the chamber in every gun I carry. I have a had a serpa and a glock combo before and never had a problem with feeling like I might have a ND. I was taught to makes sure when re-holstering to clear the holster and visibly check before holstering. When you're putting the gun back into the holster, you usually have time to make sure it goes back into a clear holster and it's done safely. There are lots of good videos and live classes you can take that should cover these things for you. I've suggested the Magpul art of the dynamic handgun DVD's before, because they are excellent.

I carry with a round in the chamber because it's quicker to draw and fire if I don't have to rack the slide. If a person with a knife is threatening you and you have to draw, rack the slide and engage them from less than 20 feet you won't have time. You will get stabbed and that's not good. If you have to rack the slide you run into other problems under stress. You might ride the slide and cause the gun not to go into battery or you might short stroke the slide and not chamber a round. Short stroking happens to users of pump shotguns all the time under stress. These are all good enough reasons, to me, to carry with a round in the chamber.

oneeyeross

Every pistol/revolver I carry has a round ready to go when I pull the trigger...if it isn't ready to go, what is the point of the exercise?

1911er

I also carry A 1911 but mine is compact. I carry hot with the hammer back and thumb saftey engaged in A customized Galco forward cant at the 3oclock position. Most 1911's can only have the thumb saftey engaged if the weapon is cocked.

SpyderTattoo

There is no "safety for the glock while it is holstered". The internal safeties are the same whether vertical, horizontal, upside down, under water, in outer space... You should really look into and understand the workings of this gun.

I carry a G21 in a Serpa holster, round chambered. I also carry a G30 in a blackhawk Eclipse holster, round chambered.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
paraphrase.... make sure your weapon is empty and practice drawing it............

I carry round in chamber, hammer down, SA. I recently gave up my military M12 holster and changed to a civilian "uncle mikes duel ret". Now all my years of muscle memory are gone and I am learning all over. Nice holster tho. I train in the house, empty going from room to room as a house clearing. Go in the kitchen, draw the weapon. Go downstairs, draw the weapon. Draw to the ready, reholster. Apply as needed untill comfortable.

Question for another thread maybe, Have you "walked your house" with your self defense weapons? Yes we all open carry, we some go concealed, but what about defending the home front?

Trigger Dr

Let me askthe same question with slightly different wording.
"how many of you carry a firearm without a firing pin"
What is the difference? both guns are nothing but a paperweight. If you are not confident in your ability to safely carry, draw and fire or reholster your firearm, I would suggest geting some training before you carry.

meggers

Wow guys, thanks! Lots of great information here.

SpyderTattoo

There is no "safety for the glock while it is holstered". The internal safeties are the same whether vertical, horizontal, upside down, under water, in outer space... You should really look into and understand the workings of this gun.

The firing pin safety when holstered is something I was told by a dealer. I double checked and you're right, that's not what it does. There's three independent safety mechanisms that get disabled when the trigger + safety are depressed. Thanks for letting me know that.

irish52084

I carry with a round in the chamber in every gun I carry. I have a had a serpa and a glock combo before and never had a problem with feeling like I might have a ND. I was taught to makes sure when re-holstering to clear the holster and visibly check before holstering.

Good idea. Thanks :)

Badger Johnson

Why not do a test using snap-caps? See if you can cause an "AD" with normal handling. I put "AD" or accidental discharge in quotes because with a snap-cap you can't discharge a round, obviously.

IMO, racking the slide during a high-stress situation where fine motor control is at issue would be a problem for some people and if so, it's better to carry "hot".

Thanks for the advice. I'll go buy a Snap-Cap today.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Round

I have the same holster for my Taurus, after I chamber a round I de-cock it. So it is on safe and in DA for the first shot.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The proper way to draw from a Serpa will disallow your finger entering the trigger guard. It is a very simple technique that should be mastered and will hold you in good stead no matter what other style of holster you may also use.

First stop/forget using the tip of your finger to engage the lock release mechanism.

Repeat - do NOT use the tip of your finger.

Instead (do this slowly at first with a safe/cleared gun), as you move to obtain a grip, lay your rigid trigger finger over the release - note the release will be under the body of your finger, not under the tip. You should already be pressing in on the release with the "body" of your finger. Now as you draw, your finger pad will slide over the release and the presentation will end with your rigid finger along the side of the frame - no where near the trigger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ZIqd8QoHE

It is a nice fluid draw stroke. I have done a minimum of 10-12 per day for years and never once found my trigger finger where it did not belong. Carry a 1911 and the practice also incorporates manually disengaging the safety.

This may sound complicated, but is not. It does involve training muscle memory and therefore does need to be repeated, repeated, repeated.

All part of not putting your finger on the bang switch until you are prepared to accept the consequences.

BTW - carry condition #1 - wouldn't consider carrying any other way.

Last edited:

Johnsmith1521

I had the same issue when I first got my 1911, I wasn't sure about myself carrying condition #1... I used to carry an XD45 and had no problem carrying a round in the chamber... Just know your firearm and get more practice... Glocks are safe, I used to have one and never once thought of it going off unless I pull the trigger... If you still question yourself, maybe buy a pistol with a manual safety for peace of mind... But like I said you got a glock, you're good to go... Carry on!!:monkey:banana:

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

In Wisconsin....

I OC (only option in WI.) my XD 40 with a round in the chamber and a full Mag (12+1) . In Wisconsin we are mandated by law to unload and case the weapon for vehicle transport and uncase and reload to carry. Even though I am required to go through the unload / case / uncase / load / hassle :banghead:.. I still want that round in the chamber based on this part of the saying.. "when seconds count"... By the time I draw my weapon and chamber a round a bad guy with a gun at the ready, could have already gotten off a shot...which could make the fact that I was carrying a moot point...

Outdoorsman1

Badger Johnson

Good replies, all, but I think what would be most useful to the OP would be the evolution of your carry style; how you got to the point where you felt comfortable carrying with a round chambered. Yes, it makes perfect sense to carry chambered after acquiring experience with your gun. It took me about a month as a newbie to HGs to evolve to that point thinking about it daily, going to the range, practicing dry firing and loading snap caps.
---

To the OP - snap caps come in the same caliber as your HG, so make sure you get the right package (usually around $20 for 5). NEVER mix snap caps in the mag or on your shooting bench/area with live rounds.

ALWAYS double check that you have ONLY snap-caps in the HG when you're practicing. Then, when sure, check it again, and visually confirm what's in the chamber by slightly exposing the slide.

$.02