• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many of you OC with a round chambered?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Good replies, all, but I think what would be most useful to the OP would be the evolution of your carry style; how you got to the point where you felt comfortable carrying with a round chambered. Yes, it makes perfect sense to carry chambered after acquiring experience with your gun. It took me about a month as a newbie to HGs to evolve to that point thinking about it daily, going to the range, practicing dry firing and loading snap caps.
---

To the OP - snap caps come in the same caliber as your HG, so make sure you get the right package (usually around $20 for 5). NEVER mix snap caps in the mag or on your shooting bench/area with live rounds.

ALWAYS double check that you have ONLY snap-caps in the HG when you're practicing. Then, when sure, check it again, and visually confirm what's in the chamber by slightly exposing the slide.

$.02

Always make safety your first consideration when training or practicing; otherwise your first mistake could be someone's last.

irish52084

I have to 2nd some info already posted about practicing your draw, it makes a huge difference. I always thought I knew how to draw my weapon until I started really practicing my draw.

I try to practice all my dry fire drills at night after work when everyone else is in bed. I draw until I feel comfortable with both my pistols, they each have different mode of operation. I draw and dry fire 2 shots until I'm tired of it or until I get sloppy. After those drills, I work on malfunction clearing and reloads.

Here's a link to a good video to practice the draw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u6ZwcMuHnk

meggers

I have to 2nd some info already posted about practicing your draw, it makes a huge difference. I always thought I knew how to draw my weapon until I started really practicing my draw.

I try to practice all my dry fire drills at night after work when everyone else is in bed. I draw until I feel comfortable with both my pistols, they each have different mode of operation. I draw and dry fire 2 shots until I'm tired of it or until I get sloppy. After those drills, I work on malfunction clearing and reloads.

Here's a link to a good video to practice the draw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u6ZwcMuHnk

Funny you posted this! I've been practicing with this video for about 3 weeks now.

irish52084

Funny you posted this! I've been practicing with this video for about 3 weeks now.

If you liked that, buy their dvd set art of the dynamic handgun or any other of their instructional stuff. It's well worth the money. I have the shotgun and pistol dvd sets saved to my hard drive and I reference them all the time, just to stay sharp.

Tawnos

I'm told that (a) there have been accidental discharges by people with the Serpa holster that don't keep their index finger straight (on the frame) when drawing, instead they allow it to bend/curve which can pull the trigger;
The only place I heard that nonsense was at Front Sight. It doesn't help that they don't teach drawing from retention, so people end up having to wing it. Fortunately, I had lots of practice drawing from the Serpa, so did all right on the "final exam". I'm in blue jeans.

As Grapeshot said, it's all about having your finger rigid and straight, something you should be doing from a non retention holster as well. Having a gun that's the right size for your hand helps, too, as it eliminates the feeling you have to stretch to disengage the lock.

Mortech

I carry my 1911 in various holsters in condition 1 while my reloading buddy who is nearly 2 decades older is old Army always carries his COlt Commander in condition 3 when we open carry .

Hammer

There is no "safety for the glock while it is holstered". The internal safeties are the same whether vertical, horizontal, upside down, under water, in outer space... You should really look into and understand the workings of this gun.

I carry a G21 in a Serpa holster, round chambered. I also carry a G30 in a blackhawk Eclipse holster, round chambered.

^^^ What he said. I also carry a Glock- mine a model 20- in a Serpa retention holster. I think you got a lot of good advice. Get familiar with your gun. If a gun had a safety that kept it from being fired vertically, what if that was the direction of the threat? Like you're in the tree and the bear is climbing? Uh-oh....
Test your weapon for the possible situations you could encounter. Prove to yourself it is safe. Then you can carry hot, the method preferred by all who seriously carry for self-defense, AND know their weapon well enough to trust it.
No worries, you'll feel your way along. You become more comfortable with it as you know and learn more about the whole situation.

Jeff Hayes

The only place I heard that nonsense was at Front Sight. It doesn't help that they don't teach drawing from retention, so people end up having to wing it. Fortunately, I had lots of practice drawing from the Serpa, so did all right on the "final exam". I'm in blue jeans.

As Grapeshot said, it's all about having your finger rigid and straight, something you should be doing from a non retention holster as well. Having a gun that's the right size for your hand helps, too, as it eliminates the feeling you have to stretch to disengage the lock.

I never heard that at Front Sight as a matter of fact they taught us how to draw & reholster properly from a retention holster. I an going back in May I will let you know what they do this time.

BTW the instructors I had were very supportive of OC even stating to the entire class your in Nevada and you can OC your firearm and then explaiined the laws etc.

Maybe different instructors do things differently?

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Always one in the chamber....

Every handgun I have ever owned and carried I have carried it loaded with one in the chamber.

Most all guns that I carry have no external safety, they are all double action (DAO or DA/SA). I would not carry a handgun with out it ready to fire.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I carry my 1911 in various holsters in condition 1 while my reloading buddy who is nearly 2 decades older is old Army always carries his COlt Commander in condition 3 when we open carry .

Never really understood why the Army did that. They were responsible for the grip safety on the 1911 too, I believe.

Guess they just don't trust their training methods or their personnel.

tombrewster421

I also carry a glock 19 and after learning about the safeties on the glock I've carried condition 1 ever since. When I get a retention holster instead of my IWB, it will be a blade-tech with more of a thumb break style retention instead just so I don't have to push anything with my trigger finger. Of course every time I do draw my weapon, I make sure that my finger is straight and will not touch the trigger but will instead hit the slide once it clears the holster. The best advice on here is of course, PRACTICE! And TRUST YOURSELF would be mine. I'm pretty sure you dont think of yourself as a fool, otherwise you wouldn't be carrying at all. Just practice your skills and trust in them.

gsx1138

I've got the same rig for my XD45 and M&P9L. Never an issue. I use my M&P for USPSA and have the trigger pull modified to around 3lbs. Get the stress of people watching you, multiple targets, and a loud ass buzzer it's still not the same as real life shoot outs. But, it helps you realize where your mistakes are. The only issue I've ever had was once I got so stressed I forgot to push the button on my Serpa and pulled up hard. Basically I gave myself a wedgie because my belt and pants came up as well. The pistol stayed in the holster and my light trigger pull did nothing. If you run an off the rack gun you'll never have to worry so long as you're not touching the trigger.

Metalhead47

Baby steps are fine, as long as they lead to progress...

Story I read that convinced me of the foolishness of carrying without on in the pipe:

Guy was getting in or out of his car at a store. Thug comes up to the open car door, puts a gun to the guy's head, and says "I'm going to kill your and steal your car." The guy knocks the BG's gun off his head with his left hand, draws with his right, and drops the sumbitch. Would not have worked if he needed two hands to operate the gun.

Like the OP and others, I too started out carrying condition 2. Especially for a new gun-toter, it does take a little bit to get past the "omigaw I'm packing a gun!" factor. It's partly about learning to trust your sidearm's safeties.

My wife still insists on carrying unchambered, even with a DA/SA Bersa. Drive me friggin batty :banghead:

Tawnos

I never heard that at Front Sight as a matter of fact they taught us how to draw & reholster properly from a retention holster. I an going back in May I will let you know what they do this time.

BTW the instructors I had were very supportive of OC even stating to the entire class your in Nevada and you can OC your firearm and then explaiined the laws etc.

Maybe different instructors do things differently?
It's possible, some instructors were better than others. One claimed that if you are concealed carrying and your firearm shows, it's brandishing in any state. Another claimed that Las Vegas was exempted from preemption, despite the change in preemption law in Nevada a few years ago. They've recently started recommending against the Serpa for the exact reason meggers said.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've heard of ND when holstering.

I've heard of pistol ND when drawing.

I've heard a tale of early Serpas being jammed with a pebble.

I've heard that Serpas weren't allowed on a range due to the danger of ND.

Now except for that gritty little pebble (which bothers me not, Serpa fixed early design) where does the blame for these problems really lie?

Send me any Serpas you don't like, I'll give it a good home. :lol:

DevinWKuska

Meh I guess I am just an idiot... I dont keep a round in the chamber. Partially for safety against AD and partially so if someone grabs my gun... I will have time to get to my rifle or secondary sidearm. My pistol is not by anymeans my primary defense. Its just a tool to get me to my rifle. If I am going to get into a shootout, and said bg has say a Glock.. He will lose when my rilfe comes out with 13 30rd mags.

Yes I keep my rifle wherever I go. If I go to the movies so does it! If I go camping so does it! If I go to bed.... well I have other firearms.. But IMO carrying a a loaded chamber is not necessary FOR ME. I am not saying its a bad idea, just not for me. I say whatever makes you feel comfortable. If your not comfortalbe carrying a hot weapon then dont carry one because everyone else here says whats the point.

Bottom line is if your not comfortable, DONT DO IT! Doing so might get you or someone else killed.

Metalhead47

Meh I guess I am just an idiot... I dont keep a round in the chamber. Partially for safety against AD and partially so if someone grabs my gun... I will have time to get to my rifle or secondary sidearm. My pistol is not by anymeans my primary defense. Its just a tool to get me to my rifle. If I am going to get into a shootout, and said bg has say a Glock.. He will lose when my rilfe comes out with 13 30rd mags.

Yes I keep my rifle wherever I go. If I go to the movies so does it! If I go camping so does it! If I go to bed.... well I have other firearms.. But IMO carrying a a loaded chamber is not necessary FOR ME. I am not saying its a bad idea, just not for me. I say whatever makes you feel comfortable. If your not comfortalbe carrying a hot weapon then dont carry one because everyone else here says whats the point.

Bottom line is if your not comfortable, DONT DO IT! Doing so might get you or someone else killed.

... so when you take your rifle to the movies do you have to pay for an extra seat?

Freedom First

When I OC, I carry my Taurus condition 1.5 in a Serpa CQC... That's a round in the chamber, decocked (DA first shot) and on safe. If I am nervous about my surroundings I will click the safety off... I practice both ways.

My deep CC weapon and BUG is a TCP in an ankle holster condition 1.

Last edited: