Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HB 517 OC Bill passes last committee!

Exclamation HB 517 OC Bill passes last committee!

House Bill 517 overwhelmingly passed the House Judiciary Committee this morning on it's final stop before hitting the house floor. The overriding contention was that the opposition could cite no cases in which OC was an issue in any other state where it is law. It was difficult to hear all the votes, but I counted only about four or five no votes. Rep. Julien (D-Miami) voted in favor!

...............--Moderator Note--
    Please save "Urgent" and other similar terms for things requiring immediate action. Accordingly edited the title.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    House Bill 517 overwhelmingly passed the House Judiciary Committee this morning on it's final stop before hitting the house floor. The overriding contention was that the opposition could cite no cases in which OC was an issue in any other state where it is law. It was difficult to hear all the votes, but I counted only about four or five no votes. Rep. Julien (D-Miami) voted in favor!
    Awesome. Marion Hammer did a wonderful job. We'll need that same speech in the senate committees. Man, Law Enforcement officials really hate liberty don't they? Instead of protecting and serving our rights they actively work to destroy them.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

By my calculations, the Senate Judiciary is probably the most telling step for Open Carry in Florida this session. I wish they would schedule this sucker already.

Quote Originally Posted by nigmalg View Post
    By my calculations, the Senate Judiciary is probably the most telling step for Open Carry in Florida this session. I wish they would schedule this sucker already.
    What would be devastating to the anti's is if we could find an LEO of rank FOR the bill. South Carolina introduced a constitutional carry bill and it died because it was so poorly written. However, it enjoyed support from the states chief LEO and easily passed out of the originating committee.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    What would be devastating to the anti's is if we could find an LEO of rank FOR the bill. South Carolina introduced a constitutional carry bill and it died because it was so poorly written. However, it enjoyed support from the states chief LEO and easily passed out of the originating committee.
    Does anyone remember what the sheriff's association, or other LE association thought about shall-issue when it was passed? Did they support it out of the box, or was there a lot of push-back?

Thumbs up

YEAH! That went well! Really not much oppisition and the "in favor" was strongly in favor. I have to pinch myself!

Y Baxley
    Y Goodson
    Y McBurney
    N Porth
    Y Soto
    N Campbell
    Y Hager
    Y Metz
    N Schwartz
    N Steinberg
    Y Eisnaugle
    Y Harrison
    Y Passidomo
    Y Snyder
    Y Steube
    Y Gaetz
    Y Julien
    Y Pilon
    Last edited by quartell; 03-24-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Hysterical cop

Who was the idiot who said that "man with a gun" calls would result in a "priority 1" response with a minimum of two officers and they would "draw down" on the person with the gun?

If they do that, the resulting law suit will be a fun one to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by maps761 View Post
    Who was the idiot who said that "man with a gun" calls would result in a "priority 1" response with a minimum of two officers and they would "draw down" on the person with the gun?

People who react and behave like this probably shouldn't be cops...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Hey! What are you doing with my Army of Occupation Medal?
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2

Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    Hey! What are you doing with my Army of Occupation Medal?
    I was a RADAR tech at Tempelhof Zentralflughafen, Berlin, 3/73 - 3/75. 1946th Comm Squadron.
    My Dad also has the Army of Occupation medal, but when he was in Berlin, everyone was living in the rubble. He was 82nd Airborne, 508 PIR.
    I had more fun than he did.
    Last edited by maps761; 03-24-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    If this be Treason, then make the most of it. Patrick Henry, May 1765

Campaign Veteran
    WoW!!! 14-4

Is there any way to watch the hearing after tha fact?

Quote Originally Posted by FzSBLACKMAGICK View Post
    WoW!!! 14-4

Is there any way to watch the hearing after tha fact?
    Usually they post the videos in about a week, where you can skip to what you want to see rather than streaming.

And Rep. Julien was joined by fellow Democrat Rep. Soto in supporting it.
    If this isn't encouraging, what could be, right?
    I was expecting 2 or 3 Republicans to crap out on us, so getting 1/3 support from the other side makes me feel pretty good about it.

The Senate floor vote will probably be a much closer call, but it shouldn't be hard to get 60% yeas there methinks...

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ~*'Phoenix'*~ View Post
    Usually they post the videos in about a week, where you can skip to what you want to see rather than streaming.

And Rep. Julien was joined by fellow Democrat Rep. Soto in supporting it.
    If this isn't encouraging, what could be, right?
    I was expecting 2 or 3 Republicans to crap out on us, so getting 1/3 support from the other side makes me feel pretty good about it.

The Senate floor vote will probably be a much closer call, but it shouldn't be hard to get 60% yeas there methinks...
    Thank you, and I hope you're right about the Senate. I wonder how fast it will be brought before them.

Tomorrow would be nice : )

Quote Originally Posted by FzSBLACKMAGICK View Post
    Thank you, and I hope you're right about the Senate. I wonder how fast it will be brought before them.

Tomorrow would be nice : )
    Sure would be. I'd love to be OCing come Monday morning...
    But, back to reality.
    Best case scenario: House might vote on it tomorrow, which means it could be on the senate floor Monday and Gov.'s desk Tuesday...
    But it'll probably take all of next week. Still, that ain't bad compared to what's happening with 234 over in the senate *cough*commie*cough*-ties...
    lol

But, back to reality.
    Best case scenario: House might vote on it tomorrow, which means it could be on the senate floor Monday and Gov.'s desk Tuesday...
    But it'll probably take all of next week. Still, that ain't bad compared to what's happening with 234 over in the senate *cough*commie*cough*-ties...
    lol
    Does anyone actually know if HB517 will be assigned to new committees in the senate once passed. I'm not so sure it goes right to the floor of the senate for a vote.

If bills last session are any indicator, it looks as if once passed the House it will be assigned to the committees all over again. In many cases, it's then immediately brought out of committee and right onto the Senate floor.

http://flhouse.gov/Sections/Bills/bi...lSearchIndex=0

3 ways of doing it.

1) HB517 and SB234 both pass out of their respective chambers
    a) A conference committee is assigned and the bills are reconciled into one.
    b) The reconciled bill is voted on in each chamber and if passed by both goes to governor.
    c) If reconciled bill is not passed it can go back to conference committee for reworking.

2) HB517 passes the house it then begins committee process in senate.
    a) If not altered by the senate it goes to the governor
    b) If it is altered by the senate then see 1a above.

3) SB234 passes the senate it then begins committee process in house.
    a) If not altered by the senate it goes to the governor
    b) If it is altered by the senate then see 1a above.

Either or both bills "could" pass and either or both "could" be signed even if they are different (if they are not combined in conference committee.)
    Last edited by Kingfish; 03-24-2011 at 05:01 PM.

If it does, I'll be ed if it goes to the same sickening committees 234 is stuck in. Rediculous, what do we pay these people for? How long does it possibly take to meet enough times to decide on a bill?

There is no reason, anywhere, why it should take 6 committees to decide on whether or not a bill is fit to be heard by the rest of the legislature.
    Last edited by ~*'Phoenix'*~; 03-24-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Rant incomplete.

Campaign Veteran
    But, back to reality.
    lol
    What is happening with SB 234? It seems to be stalled. I had thought like others that they would pretty much both flow through the committees more or less one behind the other.

A week would still be sweet!!! What a relief it will be not to have to worry about printing, showing or stuffing it in the inside of your waistband or some other ridiculous means to conceal.

So the best hope still is for 234 to hurry up out of the disgusting quagmire of a Judiciary committee, and Rules committee, so we can unify the bills and get them to both floors at once?

Or as long as they keep amending both to make them match, they remain unified at the end of 234's committees for the floors to vote on identical versions? to skip the whole double-committee waste of time?

The next bill I bother following with interest is the one that bans this stupid committee process.
    Last edited by ~*'Phoenix'*~; 03-24-2011 at 05:13 PM.

If it does, I'll be ed if it goes to the same sickening committees 234 is stuck in. Rediculous, what do we pay these people for? How long does it possibly take to meet enough times to decide on a bill?

There is no reason, anywhere, why it should take 6 committees to decide on whether or not a bill is fit to be heard by the rest of the legislature.
    You should see the garbage these people propose. For a libertarian, looking at all the bills is like going through a haunted house. Gridlock is good. It slows the tyranny down. On the other side, once a freedom is gone....You ain't gettin' it back.

You should see the garbage these people propose. For a libertarian, looking at all the bills is like going through a haunted house. Gridlock is good. It slows the tyranny down. On the other side, once a freedom is gone....You ain't gettin' it back.
    It's crazy because as it stands, if both bills were brought up in either house they would be passed as-is. The bureaucratic committee process here stands a chance of actually killing a bill otherwise supported.
    Last edited by nigmalg; 03-24-2011 at 05:30 PM.

I was a RADAR tech at Tempelhof Zentralflughafen, Berlin, 3/73 - 3/75. 1946th Comm Squadron.
    My Dad also has the Army of Occupation medal, but when he was in Berlin, everyone was living in the rubble. He was 82nd Airborne, 508 PIR.
    I had more fun than he did.
    Excellent! I was in logistics at the 690 ESW (former 6912 ESG) at Marienfelde from 1983 - 1990, and the wife worked in the 7350 ABG orderly room. My son was born at the US Army Hospital there.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2

Fair enough I admit some beaurocracy may be a necessary evil, by wasting the tyrants' time with meaningless meetings and schedules, we keep them from spending their energy truly harming us.
    But still I say, there's no way the government should allow 5 or 6 committees to decide what's fit for the full legislature to hear. Censorship and abuse of power, here we come...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast