• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 517 OC Bill passes last committee!

Rich7553

House Bill 517 overwhelmingly passed the House Judiciary Committee this morning on it's final stop before hitting the house floor. The overriding contention was that the opposition could cite no cases in which OC was an issue in any other state where it is law. It was difficult to hear all the votes, but I counted only about four or five no votes. Rep. Julien (D-Miami) voted in favor!

...............--Moderator Note--
Please save "Urgent" and other similar terms for things requiring immediate action. Accordingly edited the title.

77zach

House Bill 517 overwhelmingly passed the House Judiciary Committee this morning on it's final stop before hitting the house floor. The overriding contention was that the opposition could cite no cases in which OC was an issue in any other state where it is law. It was difficult to hear all the votes, but I counted only about four or five no votes. Rep. Julien (D-Miami) voted in favor!

Awesome. Marion Hammer did a wonderful job. We'll need that same speech in the senate committees. Man, Law Enforcement officials really hate liberty don't they? Instead of protecting and serving our rights they actively work to destroy them.

nigmalg

By my calculations, the Senate Judiciary is probably the most telling step for Open Carry in Florida this session. I wish they would schedule this sucker already.

77zach

By my calculations, the Senate Judiciary is probably the most telling step for Open Carry in Florida this session. I wish they would schedule this sucker already.

What would be devastating to the anti's is if we could find an LEO of rank FOR the bill. South Carolina introduced a constitutional carry bill and it died because it was so poorly written. However, it enjoyed support from the states chief LEO and easily passed out of the originating committee.

nigmalg

What would be devastating to the anti's is if we could find an LEO of rank FOR the bill. South Carolina introduced a constitutional carry bill and it died because it was so poorly written. However, it enjoyed support from the states chief LEO and easily passed out of the originating committee.

Does anyone remember what the sheriff's association, or other LE association thought about shall-issue when it was passed? Did they support it out of the box, or was there a lot of push-back?

quartell

Y Baxley
Y Goodson
Y McBurney
N Porth
Y Soto
N Campbell
Y Hager
Y Metz
N Schwartz
N Steinberg
Y Eisnaugle
Y Harrison
Y Passidomo
Y Snyder
Y Steube
Y Gaetz
Y Julien
Y Pilon

Last edited:

maps761

Hysterical cop

Who was the idiot who said that "man with a gun" calls would result in a "priority 1" response with a minimum of two officers and they would "draw down" on the person with the gun?

If they do that, the resulting law suit will be a fun one to follow.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Who was the idiot who said that "man with a gun" calls would result in a "priority 1" response with a minimum of two officers and they would "draw down" on the person with the gun?

People who react and behave like this probably shouldn't be cops...

Rich7553

Hey! What are you doing with my Army of Occupation Medal?

maps761

Hey! What are you doing with my Army of Occupation Medal?

I was a RADAR tech at Tempelhof Zentralflughafen, Berlin, 3/73 - 3/75. 1946th Comm Squadron.
My Dad also has the Army of Occupation medal, but when he was in Berlin, everyone was living in the rubble. He was 82nd Airborne, 508 PIR.
I had more fun than he did.

Last edited:

~*'Phoenix'*~

WoW!!! 14-4

Is there any way to watch the hearing after tha fact?

Usually they post the videos in about a week, where you can skip to what you want to see rather than streaming.

And Rep. Julien was joined by fellow Democrat Rep. Soto in supporting it.
If this isn't encouraging, what could be, right?
I was expecting 2 or 3 Republicans to crap out on us, so getting 1/3 support from the other side makes me feel pretty good about it.

The Senate floor vote will probably be a much closer call, but it shouldn't be hard to get 60% yeas there methinks...

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
Usually they post the videos in about a week, where you can skip to what you want to see rather than streaming.

And Rep. Julien was joined by fellow Democrat Rep. Soto in supporting it.
If this isn't encouraging, what could be, right?
I was expecting 2 or 3 Republicans to crap out on us, so getting 1/3 support from the other side makes me feel pretty good about it.

The Senate floor vote will probably be a much closer call, but it shouldn't be hard to get 60% yeas there methinks...

Thank you, and I hope you're right about the Senate. I wonder how fast it will be brought before them.

Tomorrow would be nice : )

~*'Phoenix'*~

Thank you, and I hope you're right about the Senate. I wonder how fast it will be brought before them.

Tomorrow would be nice : )
Sure would be. I'd love to be OCing come Monday morning...
But, back to reality.
Best case scenario: House might vote on it tomorrow, which means it could be on the senate floor Monday and Gov.'s desk Tuesday...
But it'll probably take all of next week. Still, that ain't bad compared to what's happening with 234 over in the senate *cough*commie*cough*-ties...
lol

nigmalg

But, back to reality.
Best case scenario: House might vote on it tomorrow, which means it could be on the senate floor Monday and Gov.'s desk Tuesday...
But it'll probably take all of next week. Still, that ain't bad compared to what's happening with 234 over in the senate *cough*commie*cough*-ties...
lol

Does anyone actually know if HB517 will be assigned to new committees in the senate once passed. I'm not so sure it goes right to the floor of the senate for a vote.

Kingfish

3 ways of doing it.

1) HB517 and SB234 both pass out of their respective chambers
a) A conference committee is assigned and the bills are reconciled into one.
b) The reconciled bill is voted on in each chamber and if passed by both goes to governor.
c) If reconciled bill is not passed it can go back to conference committee for reworking.

2) HB517 passes the house it then begins committee process in senate.
a) If not altered by the senate it goes to the governor
b) If it is altered by the senate then see 1a above.

3) SB234 passes the senate it then begins committee process in house.
a) If not altered by the senate it goes to the governor
b) If it is altered by the senate then see 1a above.

Either or both bills "could" pass and either or both "could" be signed even if they are different (if they are not combined in conference committee.)

Last edited:

~*'Phoenix'*~

If it does, I'll be :cuss:ed if it goes to the same sickening committees 234 is stuck in. Rediculous, what do we pay these people for? How long does it possibly take to meet enough times to decide on a bill?

There is no reason, anywhere, why it should take 6 committees to decide on whether or not a bill is fit to be heard by the rest of the legislature.

Last edited:

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
But, back to reality.
lol

What is happening with SB 234? It seems to be stalled. I had thought like others that they would pretty much both flow through the committees more or less one behind the other.

A week would still be sweet!!! What a relief it will be not to have to worry about printing, showing or stuffing it in the inside of your waistband or some other ridiculous means to conceal.