• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Galco combat master retention question for Service-six

Fabricator

Howdy all,

I am close to "pulling the trigger" on a Galco "combat master" holster for my 4" Ruger "Service-six" (.357 maggie). The description indicates that the moulded profile is what retains te firearm.

Galco link: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=171&GunID=46

I have a Fobus "paddle" holster for my current snub-nose wheel gun, and really like it, and was hoping for a similar type of draw (no thumb breaks) as the Fobus. My concern is in the retention of the weapon. How secure is this sort of system on the Galco product V.S. the Fobus? Lastly, Do you folks have any alternate sugestions, if retention ends up being an issue? I would not want it easily "snatched".

Thanks,

Fabricator

Anyone know how to get this moved to "Holsters and accessories"? I did not mean to post this here!

Last edited:

cbpeck

A lot of folks on here would never carry a leather, open top holster. I don't mind doing so, in fact I have several of Galco's Concealable Belt Holsters that I use routinely. They're pretty similar to the Combat Master you're considering.

I think the final decision comes from a combination of factors: when & where you carry, your level of situational awareness, your propensity for involving yourself in confrontational circumstances and your own personal level of comfort. All of these considerations effect whether or not we desire a thumb break, serpa style retention, open top, cross draw, shoulder rig, thigh rig, etc. I think this is why there are so many good holsters of varying designs on the market. Each of us is looking for a holster that fits our concept of how a gun should be carried.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Fabricator

CB,

You bring up some good questions. I am relatively new to OC, and should have added a few details, as I see that my closing question did not give much background. I just searched the "serpa" retantion you describe, and I really like the concept. Unfortunatly, I have been unable to find that type of retention for the old "S-Six". I have looked at Blackhawk, Safariland, Fobus and sch, but not found anything. I feel confident carrying, and in my line of work, combined with our shops "less-than-stellar" location, I feel better with a system I can access quickly. I am a bit "ADD" at times (I am constantly leaving safety on with my .22 auto when shooting, and fear that without insane amounts of "muscle memory" training, I would not release a thumb latch consistently either. That is a small part of my preference toward those "point-and-shoot" wheelguns. I am not one inclined toward confrontational situations, and that is part of the reason I want to add the 4 inch 6-gun to my carry options, instead of only using the 2 inch 5-shot Taurus. I welcome any thoughts on the matter.

Fabricator

Kingfish

The Serpa and the Itac (which I use) are very intuitive and natural. The placement of the release button is such that upon the draw my finger is on the slide of the gun. Maybe you could trade in your SIX for something that a Serpa or Itac is made for.

No problems with wheel guns at all.

Fabricator

I've been thinking about an SP-101 for just that reason; bummer there's so little available for the old six-series... Not that I've discounted the Galco rig with my current "arsenal"; I really like my old Rugers!

Fabricator

Fabricator

Update:

After some additional reading, I decided to get the Galco Combat Master for my 4" S-Six. I ordered it from "Nightvisionoptics", and after waiting through a lengthy back order, it arrived. This is a very comfortable way to carry, and unquestionably a quality holster. I will try to post a couple pictures soon.

Fabricator

cbpeck

Update:

After some additional reading, I decided to get the Galco Combat Master for my 4" S-Six. I ordered it from "Nightvisionoptics", and after waiting through a lengthy back order, it arrived. This is a very comfortable way to carry, and unquestionably a quality holster. I will try to post a couple pictures soon.

Fabricator

I'm glad you like it. I'm looking forward to seeing photos.

Make sure you have a decent belt to go along with it. I really like the Galco Dress Belts. I have actually received compliments on how nice these belts are by people who had no idea they were gun belts! Opticsplanet.com has the best prices, but if you order a belt from them you must insist that they not roll it like a cinnamon roll for shipping as this kills gun belts (they sent mine this way at first, so I sent them back & insisted on replacements). Also make sure you have the right size; I have a 32 waist, but have 36 belts that I wear on the middle hole regularly and back out one hole when carrying IWB. These belts DO NOT stretch.

Fabricator

You are right on with the belt advice. I am in NE GA and live about 20 minutes from A&G Gunleather,

http://www.agcustomgunleather.com/

so I hope to visit them tomorrow to pick up one of their bull-hide belts. Even the Klien 1 1/2" (1/4" thick) work belt is not as stiff as a purpose-built "gun-belt". I m also still waiting on the Galco speedloader pouches, as they were backordered from Midway in the matching "hue".

1303263894.jpg

I have two 4 inch Ruger "Six-series" guns that fit this holster, and the one pictured is a "recent" purchase. In addition to this Security-six, I have a fixed sight "Service-six" as well. They are both very accurate for a stock firearm, but the both came with the stock "small" wooden stocks, and were quickly swapped for Hoge and Pachmyr, respectively.

Fabricator

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
The Galco Combat Master is a good holster and I have them for several handguns. They do retain the firearm through just about any activity you are likely to perform. I've fallen off a horse and stood on my head and the holster retained the handgun. That said...my personal bias is for a holster with at least one point of retention for open carry. Concealed carry is different because people are less likely to notice the firearm and it is harder for someone to snatch since they have to move a garment out of the way to grab it. It wouldn't be just dead easy for someone to snatch your gun from a Combat Master and situational awareness goes a long way, but it's a fact of life that sometimes you find yourself standing in a line or in some other setting where people are much closer behind you than you might otherwise wish. It's not likely that someone will try to snatch my pistol, but I just prefer at least one other safety measure when open carrying.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
CB,

You bring up some good questions. I am relatively new to OC, and should have added a few details, as I see that my closing question did not give much background. I just searched the "serpa" retantion you describe, and I really like the concept. Unfortunatly, I have been unable to find that type of retention for the old "S-Six". I have looked at Blackhawk, Safariland, Fobus and sch, but not found anything. I feel confident carrying, and in my line of work, combined with our shops "less-than-stellar" location, I feel better with a system I can access quickly. I am a bit "ADD" at times (I am constantly leaving safety on with my .22 auto when shooting, and fear that without insane amounts of "muscle memory" training, I would not release a thumb latch consistently either. That is a small part of my preference toward those "point-and-shoot" wheelguns. I am not one inclined toward confrontational situations, and that is part of the reason I want to add the 4 inch 6-gun to my carry options, instead of only using the 2 inch 5-shot Taurus. I welcome any thoughts on the matter.

Fabricator

A holster with a well-designed thumb-break retention strap doesn't require "insane amounts" of muscle memory. In fact, it's so much a natural part of the motion that even a little practice will have you doing it every time. You should try to get an opportunity to try one out.

Fabricator

Calvaryman,

I agree with your concerns; I have the "luxury" of not spending time in crowded ares. On the other hand; checkout lines are nearly unavoidable and bear special awareness! That was one of my original concerns, but I have a Fobus AND Blackhawk for times when I'm in busy places, but they only fit the S&W J-frame and I usually "cover-up" when I have the open-top in an area with a lot of folks. I certainly appreciate the reminder though!

Fabricator