• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did you guys see this?

Freedom First

DA refused to press charges.. (Said under law he was unable too, in which smells very badly of BS)

//engaging sarcasm drive//

We've got a new word in Washington State:

Birk n. An unemployed Law Officer, late of Seattle PD. Known for shooting crazy people and getting away with it.

Birk v. The act of killing crazy people while a law officer and never serving a day.

Birked adj. To be killed without recourse to justice just for being perceived as crazy.

//sarcasm drive disengaged//

Philly is the City of Brotherly Love?... :( Must be a mistake.

Jeep Guy

You have got to feel so so s***** and dumb if you are a officer and you dont even let someone calmly talk or explain you just scream at him and threaten to kill him then have to politely give him his gun back and try to tell him you had the right to stop him blah blah blah. sounded like they almost or tried to refuse to give his recorder back at the end too.

sudden valley gunner

I am a member here, I just don't post much because PAFOA is more centered in what I am dealing with.

Thanks for the support guys. Believe it or not, seeing how upset everyone else is helps to keep be from growing weary of this, and keeps me from throwing up my hands and saying, "**** it."

Like Officer Rubin.

Are you going to need legal funds? Many here will help out.

I know how it is not very fun to look down the barrel of an officers Glock, Good luck in your fight and thanks for keeping up the fight.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Wow, I have the same audio recorder he has -- I had no idea it was so tough. I picked it because it was about 30 bucks at Wal-Mart.

I've been plowing through that thread, and I can't find where he says what brand the voice recorder was. Please, tell us what brand and model! I'd rather have a few $30 recorders meet the heels of an LEO than my $300 iPhone, which is what I currently use for recording...

EDIT: Never mind... I found it... "ViperGTS19801" used an RCA VR5220-A digital recorder. That specific model is no longer carried by WalMart, but it has been replaced by a newer model, the VR5330, which has a built-in USB jack and 2gig of memory, for $42:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-VR5330-2GB-Digital-Voice-Recorder/15183947

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

I've been plowing through that thread, and I can't find where he says what brand the voice recorder was. Please, tell us what brand and model! I'd rather have a few $30 recorders meet the heels of an LEO than my $300 iPhone, which is what I currently use for recording...

I don't know which one he is using, but here is the one I use, found on an ebay search...

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ol...ecorder&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

The audio quality is amazing, no moving parts, uses USB to connect to your PC to upload audio files where you can then listen with headphones to really pull out the faintest sounds.

I usually find them in the $26 - $40 range. It will record longer than the batteries will last, and it easily slips into a typical breast pocket of a button-down shirt and lay at the bottom sideways. It picks up *everything*.

It also has a slide switch on the side to "lock" the front panel buttons so the recorder can't be "inadvertently" turned off.

Edited to add... You will not likely need 2gbs of memory, save some money. The batteries will die long before you need 2gb of mem. I have mine set with both sensitivity and audio quality maxed out, and it will record 35.5 hours. I've never used more than 6 hours or so. Mine only has 512mb. You might be able to save a couple dollars with less memory. Just a thought.

Last edited:

KBCraig

I was going to reply with the make and model, but I see y'all already found it.

The only downside to the RCA (for me) is that the default recording mode isn't Mac-compatible. I had to change some settings to make it record in .MP3, so I could transfer the files to my computer.

The audio quality, though, has been generally excellent. A couple of years ago I was one of the (unpaid, volunteer, yet "official") webcasters for the local independent league professional baseball team. My broadcasting partner was the tech guy, and he provided the laptop, microphone, and (donated) wireless broadband connection. Me, I just showed up and talked baseball. Anyhoo, I used my RCA recorder for some interviews, and I was very impressed with the audio capture quality within the typical voice range. I never tested it for music.

Oh, and it does have an external microphone jack, if you're interested in that.

Back to the OP: yeah, I had to laugh when they discovered his recorder: "He's recording us! He's setting us up!"

I'm pretty sure that same officer can quote chapter, verse, and case law about how it's not entrapment if you were going to do it anyway. ;)

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I am a member here, I just don't post much because PAFOA is more centered in what I am dealing with.

Thanks for the support guys. Believe it or not, seeing how upset everyone else is helps to keep be from growing weary of this, and keeps me from throwing up my hands and saying, "**** it."

Like Officer Rubin.

glad to hear it, buddy. we are 110% behind you.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran

EDIT: Never mind... I found it... "ViperGTS19801" used an RCA VR5220-A digital recorder. That specific model is no longer carried by WalMart, but it has been replaced by a newer model, the VR5330, which has a built-in USB jack and 2gig of memory, for $42:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-VR5330-2GB-Digital-Voice-Recorder/15183947

if you download the qik.com app, you can get it for iphone or android, you can stream the audio/video live to the webz. they can't step on that!