• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

popular support for citizens w/ guns

MKEgal

In being out & about the past couple of days, I've gotten several positive comments on my WI Carry "Guns Save Lives" button. (Up 'til now, nobody has said anything to me, so I don't know what's changed.)

Yesterday the head trainer at the gym was manning the front desk when I checked in, & he said he liked my button.

Today I got a sandwich at Kopp's & the guy who handed me my order said he liked it, then told me about his extended family in FL who all shoot together every week.

Then I was at the police admin building downtown getting some paperwork, & riding up in the elevator w/ a couple of officers one of them commented that he liked my button.
I told him I was one of those open carriers he might have heard about; no danger to anyone who isn't trying to hurt me. They both smiled.

I've gotten comments in the past in various stores, people giving thumbs-up or saying they like my gun, but getting attention for the button is new to me. So there's popular support for citizens having guns; now if that can translate into telling their legislators to vote pro-rights...

littlewolf

Come to think of it that's whats I've been seeing a lot of too,People are either curious as to permits and you can carry that? or thank you for having the "NADS" to carry and exercising the 2A

I've only had the PD called on me once and even that turned into educational experience for the LEO.
People seem to want to know the Reg's ,when and where nots or totally don't care one way or another. May be it's only Madison that's screwed up ?

hardballer

Come to think of it that's whats I've been seeing a lot of too,People are either curious as to permits and you can carry that? or thank you for having the "NADS" to carry and exercising the 2A

I've only had the PD called on me once and even that turned into educational experience for the LEO.
People seem to want to know the Reg's ,when and where nots or totally don't care one way or another. May be it's only Madison that's screwed up ?
I've had three separate incidents where I have explained the rules to an officer and then left them with WCI's pamphlet, positive . The last guy I wrote about really wasn't interested in hearing much about what's legal and what isn't.

In being out & about the past couple of days, I've gotten several positive comments on my WI Carry "Guns Save Lives" button. (Up 'til now, nobody has said anything to me, so I don't know what's changed.)

Yesterday the head trainer at the gym was manning the front desk when I checked in, & he said he liked my button.

Today I got a sandwich at Kopp's & the guy who handed me my order said he liked it, then told me about his extended family in FL who all shoot together every week.

Then I was at the police admin building downtown getting some paperwork, & riding up in the elevator w/ a couple of officers one of them commented that he liked my button.
I told him I was one of those open carriers he might have heard about; no danger to anyone who isn't trying to hurt me. They both smiled.

I've gotten comments in the past in various stores, people giving thumbs-up or saying they like my gun, but getting attention for the button is new to me. So there's popular support for citizens having guns; now if that can translate into telling their legislators to vote pro-rights...

Same here... more and more, folks are warming to the idea...Asking questions and complementing me on my 1911. I did get one fella at a pet store remark; You know that gun is cocked don'tcha? I assured him I knew and it was supposed to be cocked. He did not believe me for a minute.

LR Yote 312

I assured him I knew and it was supposed to be cocked. He did not believe me for a minute.

Dont feel bad....

I think...at least I hope the :banghead:Cudahy PD now knows a 1911 was meant to be carried "Cocked & Locked".

The Great Spirit sure does love idiots.

LR Yote

M

McX

i guess the button gives the public the warm fuzzys. hope the criminals dont think of that one.............crap i said it.

paul@paul-fisher.com

True MKEGal, if I wear my gun I get no comments or conversation. Wear the button, with or without the gun and people talk to me about it. I usually have to point out the sidearm.

littlewolf

Dont feel bad....

I think...at least I hope the :banghead:Cudahy PD now knows a 1911 was meant to be carried "Cocked & Locked".

The Great Spirit sure does love idiots.

LR Yote

I'm tell'n ya ,thats why I left Cudahy ! lol But back in 2002 I held a guy at gun point whom I caught prying open my garage door. the LEO that responded to my 911 call just said ok you can put that away now, he already peed himself !
The barrel on the Colt Commander must have been to cold on the back of his neck. oh well

LR Yote 312

I'm tell'n ya ,thats why I left Cudahy ! lol But back in 2002 I held a guy at gun point whom I caught prying open my garage door. the LEO that responded to my 911 call just said ok you can put that away now, he already peed himself !
The barrel on the Colt Commander must have been to cold on the back of his neck. oh well

I can imagine...and just for clarification it was the BG that wet himself,Correct??

But on the other hand I can almost see the Cudahy LEO with wet pants too.

We arent hangin much more than 2-3 years.Just need the last teeny bopper to remove his head from a warm dark place....long enough to give him a boot.

LR Yote

oliverclotheshoff

i have had the sam kind of comments about the button people have asked where they can get one and of course i point them in WCI's direction

IcrewUH60

I got one in person @ the just-east-of-Madison brunch during a near-blizzard.
Nik had a large box of them, & has given them out at other events.

that damn blizzard... :cuss:

I had just missed Nik (didn't want to interrupt his lunch) at the Largest Culvers in The World Meet and Greet, guess I'll have to get mine at the annual meeting then.

Last edited:

Pyro01

I used to live in Cudahy, and there were a lot of stupid kids when I lived there. I should carry there sometime when I'm visiting my grandparents. I already know where the schools are, just need to stay clear of those.

littlewolf

I can imagine...and just for clarification it was the BG that wet himself,Correct??

But on the other hand I can almost see the Cudahy LEO with wet pants too.

We arent hangin much more than 2-3 years.Just need the last teeny bopper to remove his head from a warm dark place....long enough to give him a boot.

LR Yote

Actually he turned out to be a REPO MAN looking for my sons Harley. he had a hard time explaining why he was trying to pry open the garage door when the court papers said nothing about breaking and entering.
The dude kinda looked like SHOT GUN only taller about 6' 8" and 300# w/ a dirty T shirt and cut off sweat pants.The cops read him the riot act as they carted him to the PD.BTWthe Cudahy PD kinda knew me then but in a good way.

Last edited:

MKEgal

another positive encounter

While picking up a part at the motorcycle shop yesterday afternoon, 2 of the guys started asking about my gun, open carry, what do I carry, what are the laws, etc.
We had a nice conversation & I left one w/ the WI Carry webpage; also referred him here & told him about several meet-n-greets coming up.

The other guy said he'd be worried about someone taking his gun. If he's concerned about criminals, being aware & using a retention holster will help immensely.
If he's concerned about police, there are laws to take care of them. :mad: :cuss:
(Unfortunately, laws usually don't prevent them from taking a gun from a citizen, but gives penalties when they do it unlawfully. Kind of like all other laws don't prevent criminals from committing crimes but penalize them if they're caught.)

Last edited:

civilwarguy

Actually met a uy under less than great conditions today that was really interested in the group and may come out to one of the meet and greets.

it started with me stopping because i saw an accident and wanted to make sure everyone was ok. After all the witness statements were made and the LEO there had all his info he asked the older gentleman who had been the one who got hit if he had a ride home he said he would have to call all around and see if any ok his kids could come get him but the closest was north of madison. I told him that i was heading towards his house anyways and if he wanted a ride i would be more than happy to drop him off (i must admit he wwas kind of out of the way but i could leave him on the side of the raod in this weather) on the way to his house we got onto the topic of guns and he stated his views that were much to my delight the same as mine i mentioned the meet and greets and he said he would love to come to one and was going to try to make it out to one. When we got to his house his wife came out who was almost hysterical with worry and after calming her down he brought up the meet and greets to her and she also stated she wanted to come to one. dont know if or when they will make it but was a great experience even if it wasnt for the greatest of reasons.

Just thought i would share.