• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 3-25-11: CCW in Parks & Restaurants Hits Floor Tuesday

senojkj

Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10665, Raleigh, NC 27605, 919-664-8565, www.GRNC.org

GRNC Alert 3-25-11:
CCW in Parks & Restaurants Hits Floor Tuesday

Sponsored by Reps. Hilton, Barnhart, Steen and Hastings, HB 111, "Handgun Permit Valid in Parks & Restaurants," would enable concealed handgun permit-holders to protect themselves in restaurants, and in both municipal and state parks.

NC House members need to hear from you ASAP: Even if you have already contacted them, do so again. There are still a few problems getting the Republican caucus to hang together.

Give your rep instructions to do 3 things:

1. Vote for final passage of HB 111;

2. Vote for an amendment to be offered to remove the "Ross Amendment" which would encourage restaurant servers to ask patrons whether they are carrying firearms. In committee, Rep. Deborah Ross used the amendment to get the NC Restaurant & Lodging Association to oppose the bill (she failed); and

3. Oppose any and all weakening amendments made to the bill, including a plan reportedly afoot to carve out a "gun free" zone at any sporting event (e.g. Little League games) held within public parks.

New suggested talking points:

* NC concealed carry has reduced violent crime: Since 1995, when our concealed carry law passed, the rate of overall NC crime has dropped by 27.7%, while the rate of violent crime dropped by a whopping 37.1%. This mirrors the study by John Lott and David Mustard which found that concealed handgun laws deter murder, rape, and aggravated assault.

* State parks have not seen the same drop: An extrapolation of partial data for the same years estimates only an 8.9% drop in crime within state parks. Although crime in municipal parks is not tracked, news accounts and the urban location of many suggest that crime is actually increasing in these "victim disarmament zones." HB 111 will not only benefit permit-holders, it will deter violent crime.

* NC permit-holders are overwhelmingly responsible: Of 336,743 concealed handgun permits approved since 1995, only 1007 have been revoked for any reason (that's less than a third of one percent, or 0.29%). Although the SBI doesn't keep reasons for revocation, other states' experience suggests that few of those revocations are for misuse of firearms.

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED

* CALL YOUR OWN NC HOUSE REP: Do so even if you know he or she supports the bill, telling them to support removing the weakening Ross amendment and to oppose any other weakening amendments proposed for the bill. Again, find out who represents you in the NC House by going to: http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

* CONTACT REP. DAVID GUICE: (Name pronounced "Gice"). Let him know that no "carve out" for sporting events is needed in parks because concealed handgun permit-holders have proven themselves responsible. In fact, creating another "victim disarmament zone" might well cost lives. Guice represents Henderson, Polk and Transylvania counties. Reach him at: David.Guice@ncleg.net or 919-715-4466.

SUMMARY OF GUN BILLS MOVING IN LEGISLATURE

Castle Doctrine: SB 34 (Sens. D Berger, Brock, Harrington) passed the Senate and has been sent to the House, where was referred to the Judiciary Committee. It is presently improved to essentially the same version as HB 74 (Reps. Hilton, Randleman, Cleveland, R Brown). Because SB 34 passed one chamber prior to the May 12 crossover deadline, it will still be alive even if not acted on this year (although it is likely to get action after May 12). HB 74 passed its subcommittee hearing and has been referred to the full House Judiciary Committee, where it has not yet gotten a hearing.

Guns in locked vehicles: HB 63 (Reps. Shepard, Hilton, Cleveland, Barnhart) is getting more resistance from all corners. It had one committee hearing, but is still in committee. Once we get HB 111 passed in the House, we will focus on HB 63.

Other bills: HB 227 (Reps. Hollo, Gillespie, Hilton, Jones) would allow North Carolinians to purchase long guns in other states, HB 241 (Rep. Bradley) would exempt firearms made and kept within North Carolina from regulation by the BATFE, and HB 390 (Reps. Wray, Hilton) would repeal the NC pistol purchase permit system.

Grass Roots North Carolina has been involved in drafting or
approving nearly all of the pro-gun bills above.
Please defend your rights by joining GRNC!
----------------------

You may find your NC STATE representative by going here:
http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

You may write your FEDERAL congressman by going here:
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

You may write your FEDERAL senators by going here:
http://www.senate.gov/

-------------------
Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:

Hyatt Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-394-0387, www.hyattguns.com
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; http://www.cegunshows.com/
Dixie Gun and Knife Shows, PO Box 21049, Raleigh, NC 27619, ph: 919-781-1287, www.dixiegunandknifeshow.com/
Ryan & Nina Leonard, Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, www.shootersexpress.com
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, www.gunnersalley.com, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, ed@gunnersalley.com
Patrick J. Phelan, Lake Norman Firearms, Inc., 20823 N. Main Street, Cornelius, NC 28031, www.lknfirearms.com, 704-892-7839
Vanguard Security Consulting, LLC, 19135 W. Catawba Ave, Cornelius, NC 28031
DoubleD Media, 8300 Raintree Lane, Charlotte, NC 28277, ph: 704-650-5555, fx: 704-544-0326, donna@doubledme.com

Dreamer

Can someone explain to me how HB 227 benefits NC residents. Currently, it already is legal for NC residents to buy a long gun in any other state. There is NO prohibition from doing so under NC law. The old law (tha tHB 227 would replace) just takes the "contiguous state" part out of the law.

The old law says:

"§ 14‑409.10. Purchase of rifles and shotguns out of State.
It shall be lawful for citizens of this State to purchase rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor in states contiguous to this State.
Nowhere does the old law state that it is NOT legal to purchase from states that are non-contiguous. In fact, I have had dealers in PA and WV (Namely Cabelas and Gandar Mountain) tell me that it is OK for them to sell me long guns and I could walk out of the store with them, but I'd have to fill out a 4473 and go through a NICS check, because they would not honor my NC CHP like NC does for sales...

I understand that this new bill removes the "contiguous state" language, and therefore makes it look like we can now buy from any state but COULDN'T before, but that is simply not true.

So how does this bill benefit NC residents, other than by funding lobbyists, clerks, and General Assemble Staff in getting it processed and passed?

papa bear

dreamer could this be the law in those states. i know one time that i was told at gander mtn and other stores that i could buy long guns in Va but it was my responsibility for taking them to NC. and turning around there was no restrictions for taking them from Nc to VA. of course sometimes clerks are behind on legislation

cricketdad

Can someone explain to me how HB 227 benefits NC residents. Currently, it already is legal for NC residents to buy a long gun in any other state. There is NO prohibition from doing so under NC law. The old law (tha tHB 227 would replace) just takes the "contiguous state" part out of the law.

The old law says:

"§ 14‑409.10. Purchase of rifles and shotguns out of State.
It shall be lawful for citizens of this State to purchase rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor in states contiguous to this State.
Nowhere does the old law state that it is NOT legal to purchase from states that are non-contiguous. In fact, I have had dealers in PA and WV (Namely Cabelas and Gandar Mountain) tell me that it is OK for them to sell me long guns and I could walk out of the store with them, but I'd have to fill out a 4473 and go through a NICS check, because they would not honor my NC CHP like NC does for sales...

I understand that this new bill removes the "contiguous state" language, and therefore makes it look like we can now buy from any state but COULDN'T before, but that is simply not true.

So how does this bill benefit NC residents, other than by funding lobbyists, clerks, and General Assemble Staff in getting it processed and passed?

Try buying one in IL. When they found out I was from NC I wasn't allowed to touch a firearm and they could hardly wait to get me out of the store.

Last edited:

sultan62

No time to research right now, but is there a federal law governing the purchase of long arms that this law affects? Such as a law stating it is illegal to buy long arms from other states unless permitted by state law, similar to how the GFSZA works?