• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School property, storage of firearms in my vehicle

Dieselcrawler

I am from WV, have a WV CC permit, and sometimes have to travel to OH school property. I would prefer to not go on a trip without my firearm, but want to know if it's legel to have my gun unloaded and cased in my truck while on school property? What's the rules? Help me be safe and prepaired, as well as legel...

Dieselcrawler

So my WV concealed carry permit has no berring on the situation? State to state reprocity?

Kinda disapointed... whole point of the permit was to alow me to have my pistol when traveling, but to be legal, I need to leave it at home if there is any chance my route will include a stop at a school?

Obviously, I will follow the rules, but to me, a permit holder should be alowd some exeptions, for example, gun and ammo in seprate locked cases... for storeage while visiting the school property.

However, I understand the reasoning for the laws, such that they may be.

RT48

So my WV concealed carry permit has no berring on the situation? State to state reprocity?

Sure it does. You can carry in the same places we Ohioans can carry.

I work in a school which means I can't carry to/from work. I could park across the street but I don't want my co-workers asking why I am not parking on school property.

Dieselcrawler

That's alot of info to digest...

To clairify, I am interested in the law around an UNLOADED weppon, with seprately stored ammo, both in seprate locked areas of my vehicle.

Part of what I read above, stated something to the effect that concealed carry permits from states with reprocity would be honored the same as OH issued permits... is this relivent?

Hef

and it would be against Federal law to possess the gun within 1000' of a school anyway, since he does not a license from the state the school zone is located in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a state honors another state's permit, does that not exempt a permit holder from said honored state under the GFSZ Act?

Makarov

1000 ft school law doesn't exisit. It was unconstitutional according to the SC.

States took this law. it will vary state to state.

and it would be against Federal law to possess the gun within 1000' of a school anyway, since he does not a license from the state the school zone is located in.

Golden Eagle

18 USC 922 (q):

(q)(2) (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is— (I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
If the feds wanted to do a crackdown with this law they could bust thousands of gun owners tomorrow so this federal law needs changed but at this time the feds seem to be only interested in going after those that are doing major drug deals or are in shoot outs. If you run a stop sign in the 1000' zone a local LEO wont care.

If the above is true stop 1010' from the school unload put in a case and park in the school lot. I'd have no worries.