Thread: Will be staying in hotel in indiana

Will be staying in hotel in indiana

I will be staying at a hotel in Indiana over the weekend and was wanting to know if I can legally keep a firearm in my hotel room for the duration of my visit. I know that federal law that allows me to transport it unloaded, but only if I'm bringing it to a place where I may legally posses it.

I do not have a CC permit, but am otherwise legal to possess firearms. I know I cannot carry it on my person without a permit, but would like to have it in the hotel room.

Thanks

My understanding is that while you're renting the room, it's your home & you may treat it as such (minus things like repainting, selling furnishings, etc.) ((actually, you could do those things too but would pay the hotel for it)).

You might also check the maps section; this is under the "travel" map:
    http://www.opencarry.org/in.html
    Which includes a link to IN laws: http://www.state.in.us/legislative/ic/code/
    Also of use are the mutiple links at: http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfetteredMight View Post
    I will be staying at a hotel in Indiana over the weekend and was wanting to know if I can legally keep a firearm in my hotel room for the duration of my visit. I know that federal law that allows me to transport it unloaded, but only if I'm bringing it to a place where I may legally posses it.

I do not have a CC permit, but am otherwise legal to possess firearms. I know I cannot carry it on my person without a permit, but would like to have it in the hotel room.

Thanks

Yes you would be fine. You will have to have it unloaded and in the trunk while traveling away from the hotel room. Unfortunately that is something you have to do in Indiana without Indiana's LTCH (permit). You can have it in your hotel room, cause like the comment before me said, the hotel room is treated as you abode whilst you are there. (Side note: Indiana is trying to get a bill through the house right now that would allow you to carry a handgun loaded inside the compartment of your car as long as it was in glove box or middle console, regardless of what state you were from. Cross your fingers)
    Last edited by protect our rights; 03-25-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

The Federal law only protects you while transporting as prescribed during interstate travel.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...6---A000-.html

You would not be legally covered to transport (even in the same secured manner) while driving within Indiana during your stay. Any handgun you bring would have to stay at the hotel room until you depart to leave Indiana.

There would be no issue in Indiana with transporting long guns.

Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATM View Post

You would not be legally covered to transport (even in the same secured manner) while driving within Indiana during your stay. Any handgun you bring would have to stay at the hotel room until you depart to leave Indiana.
    I should have been more specific. He can carry it in the trunk unloaded to the hotel and when he is leaving. Only way you could is if you have a permit from the state your from. In that case Indiana recognizes all other state issued permits.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington