• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will be staying in hotel in indiana

UnfetteredMight

I will be staying at a hotel in Indiana over the weekend and was wanting to know if I can legally keep a firearm in my hotel room for the duration of my visit. I know that federal law that allows me to transport it unloaded, but only if I'm bringing it to a place where I may legally posses it.

I do not have a CC permit, but am otherwise legal to possess firearms. I know I cannot carry it on my person without a permit, but would like to have it in the hotel room.

Thanks

MKEgal

protect our rights

I will be staying at a hotel in Indiana over the weekend and was wanting to know if I can legally keep a firearm in my hotel room for the duration of my visit. I know that federal law that allows me to transport it unloaded, but only if I'm bringing it to a place where I may legally posses it.

I do not have a CC permit, but am otherwise legal to possess firearms. I know I cannot carry it on my person without a permit, but would like to have it in the hotel room.

Thanks

Yes you would be fine. You will have to have it unloaded and in the trunk while traveling away from the hotel room. Unfortunately that is something you have to do in Indiana without Indiana's LTCH (permit). You can have it in your hotel room, cause like the comment before me said, the hotel room is treated as you abode whilst you are there. (Side note: Indiana is trying to get a bill through the house right now that would allow you to carry a handgun loaded inside the compartment of your car as long as it was in glove box or middle console, regardless of what state you were from. Cross your fingers)

Last edited:

ATM

Campaign Veteran
The Federal law only protects you while transporting as prescribed during interstate travel.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

You would not be legally covered to transport (even in the same secured manner) while driving within Indiana during your stay. Any handgun you bring would have to stay at the hotel room until you depart to leave Indiana.

There would be no issue in Indiana with transporting long guns.

protect our rights

You would not be legally covered to transport (even in the same secured manner) while driving within Indiana during your stay. Any handgun you bring would have to stay at the hotel room until you depart to leave Indiana.

I should have been more specific. He can carry it in the trunk unloaded to the hotel and when he is leaving. Only way you could is if you have a permit from the state your from. In that case Indiana recognizes all other state issued permits.