Thread: Detroit Police at Your Door

Detroit Police at Your Door

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    that's too bad, from what i've heard, it sounds like a series of unfortunate events. possibly a man so old he didn't know who was at his door, coupled with high tensions of the police officers trying to arrest someone on a gun charge. sometimes it's easy to pile on the DPD, but i don't think this is one of those cases. i'm actually surprised they didn't have a no knock warrant. and that they didn't put 2 in his chest. glad everyone is ok (at least if the old guy pulls through).
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

The guy was in his home & police shot him answering the door?
    Unless he pointed the gun at them, I think the police were out of line.
    There are neighborhoods where if you don't know a friend is at the door you'd be foolish NOT to have a gun.
    Glad they were bad shots... didn't hit him in the body at all.

Good reason not to open the door all the way, & to have the gun in hand hidden behind the door until needed.

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar

The guns fault

The guns are at fault here not any of the people, old man or DPP. Guns shoot people, people dont shoot people Duh!

Well we don't know what happened.

I wish we did.

In all honesty this story is so ambiguous this story could go either way. Until I get something other than unreliable hear say, I will not pass judgment.

This story could swing anywhere from; the man hued loud noises out side, so was sitting ready with his shotgun in his living room, then police charged in, without notice, felt endangered and shot him, if this is what happened, the police need to PAY! Or; the Police had a search warrant for the man's Grandson, when they arrived they banged on the door, yelling, "SEARCH WARRANT", the man then opened the door and opened fire with his shotgun, missing the police officers, but police returned fire, the man was wounded, and is being charged. Then I would say the man deserves being charged.

But like I said we just don't know right now. Whomever is wrong in this case is the ones that need to be charged, whether that be the Homeowner, or the Police.
    Last edited by eastmeyers; 03-25-2011 at 11:16 AM.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    They arrested the old guy. What was the offense?
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Banned
    Trigger happy cops had too much coffee with the donuts. When cops knock, its usually LOUD. An authority kick with the excuse that they want to be heard. I wear my gun at home 24/7, so by default, I always answer the door with my gun, right along with my pants, shirt, wallet, and whatever else I'm wearing at the time. If someone were to bang on my door like that, I'm not even going to look to see who's there because I consider it to be very rude to bang on someones door like that, you can sit there all day after coming at me in such a way.

ETA. OCSD came to my house yesterday, I had my gun on, and all he said was to keep my hands off of it. We had a nice conversation about OC, he was very knowledgeable, and supportive of the right. We even spoke about my CI, and he knew about OC with a CPL in a PFZ.

I didn't know that Detroit was a different country than oakland county, that's another mile or 2 east.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 03-25-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    possession of police property, mainly bullets.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    But the bullets were FORCED upon him by the police SO IT IS ENTRAPMENT!

I love how they shoot the guy...in his home....then arrest his ass....haha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	startrek.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	5544  

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Spitting out my diet coke....
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Banned
    eew, I'd spit out a diet coke too.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Most likely, the oldest one not on the books, contempt of cop.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

I don't know how people are saying it's the cops fault just by reading the article.........And this incident never would have happened had these cops not been allowed to carry firearms, and if doors did not exist the police could have just walked in.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

My favorite comment at the article:

"If I lived in MOTOWN, I'd answer the door in my tank."

Not enough info (mainly whether or not the old man pointed the gun at the cops) to know who's at fault here.

lol

I posted on the other thread about this but the cops were there to arrest someone for shooting at cops so I'd bet they were on high alert and ready to shoot at the least thing. They probably didn't expect anyone to answer the door but for someone to either start shooting on run out the back door. When someone answere the door and they saw a GUN they immediately started shooting without even looking at who it was.

A royal screw-up either way.

Exclamation

Good thing for him the Detroit PD are bad shots.... On a side note I have been an increasing number of news stories at 6 on people impersonating police officers, in cars, on the street and in home invasions.....