• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit Police at Your Door

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
that's too bad, from what i've heard, it sounds like a series of unfortunate events. possibly a man so old he didn't know who was at his door, coupled with high tensions of the police officers trying to arrest someone on a gun charge. sometimes it's easy to pile on the DPD, but i don't think this is one of those cases. i'm actually surprised they didn't have a no knock warrant. and that they didn't put 2 in his chest. glad everyone is ok (at least if the old guy pulls through).

MKEgal

The guy was in his home & police shot him answering the door?
Unless he pointed the gun at them, I think the police were out of line.
There are neighborhoods where if you don't know a friend is at the door you'd be foolish NOT to have a gun.
Glad they were bad shots... didn't hit him in the body at all.

Good reason not to open the door all the way, & to have the gun in hand hidden behind the door until needed.

eastmeyers

Well we don't know what happened.

I wish we did.

In all honesty this story is so ambiguous this story could go either way. Until I get something other than unreliable hear say, I will not pass judgment.

This story could swing anywhere from; the man hued loud noises out side, so was sitting ready with his shotgun in his living room, then police charged in, without notice, felt endangered and shot him, if this is what happened, the police need to PAY! Or; the Police had a search warrant for the man's Grandson, when they arrived they banged on the door, yelling, "SEARCH WARRANT", the man then opened the door and opened fire with his shotgun, missing the police officers, but police returned fire, the man was wounded, and is being charged. Then I would say the man deserves being charged.

But like I said we just don't know right now. Whomever is wrong in this case is the ones that need to be charged, whether that be the Homeowner, or the Police.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Trigger happy cops had too much coffee with the donuts. When cops knock, its usually LOUD. An authority kick with the excuse that they want to be heard. I wear my gun at home 24/7, so by default, I always answer the door with my gun, right along with my pants, shirt, wallet, and whatever else I'm wearing at the time. If someone were to bang on my door like that, I'm not even going to look to see who's there because I consider it to be very rude to bang on someones door like that, you can sit there all day after coming at me in such a way.

ETA. OCSD came to my house yesterday, I had my gun on, and all he said was to keep my hands off of it. We had a nice conversation about OC, he was very knowledgeable, and supportive of the right. We even spoke about my CI, and he knew about OC with a CPL in a PFZ.

I didn't know that Detroit was a different country than oakland county, that's another mile or 2 east.

Last edited:

usamarshal

I love how they shoot the guy...in his home....then arrest his ass....haha

Attachments

• startrek.jpg
    startrek.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 74

xmanhockey7

I don't know how people are saying it's the cops fault just by reading the article.........And this incident never would have happened had these cops not been allowed to carry firearms, and if doors did not exist the police could have just walked in.

KBCraig

My favorite comment at the article:

"If I lived in MOTOWN, I'd answer the door in my tank."

icon10.png

PT111

I posted on the other thread about this but the cops were there to arrest someone for shooting at cops so I'd bet they were on high alert and ready to shoot at the least thing. They probably didn't expect anyone to answer the door but for someone to either start shooting on run out the back door. When someone answere the door and they saw a GUN they immediately started shooting without even looking at who it was.

A royal screw-up either way.

Sheldon

Good thing for him the Detroit PD are bad shots.... On a side note I have been an increasing number of news stories at 6 on people impersonating police officers, in cars, on the street and in home invasions.....