Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia Open Carry LOGO Shirts, Challenge Coins and Patches

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Virginia Open Carry LOGO Shirts, Challenge Coins and Patches

http://www.zazzle.com/virginia_open_...08384023242679

Here are the files for those that want to go elsewhere or redesign their own on the Zazzle site. Zazzle is really high quality digital printing (but you PAY for that too):
    http://edsfiles.us/voc/voc.ai
    http://edsfiles.us/voc/voc.eps
    http://edsfiles.us/voc/voc.jpg

- - - - -
    If you don't like Zazzle, here it is at Virginia based CustomInk:
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Hope the Commonwealth doesn't exercise the rights over the state seal.

Cool

Why's the seal sideways?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    Cool

Why's the seal sideways?
    The "flags" are hung.

A few of us went round and round on which side the flags go on. If a speaker was talking to an audience (like at a podium) the US flag would be to HIS right. but on something like this when the subject has his back to the viewer, the US flag goes on the left. ( iwas "corrected" on this.. I still thought it would have gone to the right of the guy standing.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    The "flags" are hung.

A few of us went round and round on which side the flags go on. If a speaker was talking to an audience (like at a podium) the US flag would be to HIS right. but on something like this when the subject has his back to the viewer, the US flag goes on the left. ( iwas "corrected" on this.. I still thought it would have gone to the right of the guy standing.
    Ahh I didn't recognize it as the Virginia flag () on the right because the shade of blue isn't as "deep" as I'm used to seeing hanging in my room every day. Then again, I'm not viewing it on my color corrected monitor atm.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oh cool!
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Just FYI, I have no cites on this, because it was an e-mail conversation that I was made aware of from a third party...

They wanted to use the seal for something and inquired on the legality, etc.

The answer is... the seal is indeed a protected icon, however... the flag is not.

So if you want to use the seal of Virginia on something, you probably cant' by itself, but if you place it on a blue field that reasonably resembles a flag, you are fine.

TFred

Cool!
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Just FYI, I have no cites on this, because it was an e-mail conversation that I was made aware of from a third party...

They wanted to use the seal for something and inquired on the legality, etc.

The answer is... the seal is indeed a protected icon, however... the flag is not.

So if you want to use the seal of Virginia on something, you probably cant' by itself, but if you place it on a blue field that reasonably resembles a flag, you are fine.

TFred
    Confirmed via David Nimms at Va. Dept. of General Services, who is the person you need to start with for approval of commercial uses of the State Seal.

That being said, the State Flag in Ed's logo design is hung upside down. What is the bottom left corner should be the top right corner. The US Flag is back to front - the blue field should be at the top right corner, not the top left.

I'd rather have the t-shirt design on the front than on the back. It will get seen more if on the front - especially if you are sitting down when wearing the t-shirt. It will allow folks to interact with the wearer right away, as opposed to waiting for the wearer to go past them and hope they turn around to see if there is anything on the back of the t-shirt.

As for www.virginiaopencarry.org - it seems someone has registered that url and caused it to reflect back to the Virginia forum index page.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I'd rather have the t-shirt design on the front than on the back. It will get seen more if on the front - especially if you are sitting down when wearing the t-shirt. It will allow folks to interact with the wearer right away, as opposed to waiting for the wearer to go past them and hope they turn around to see if there is anything on the back of the t-shirt.

As for www.virginiaopencarry.org - it seems someone has registered that url and caused it to reflect back to the Virginia forum index page.

stay safe.
    I "think" once you click on the link you can pick any style shirt, hat, etc. and position the logo however you want.. front or back.. etc.. If not.. I can provide the logo for anyone that wants it to design their own personal shirt. I stole an idea from another OC group and on the front of MINE it simply says "good guy".

Here are the files for those that want to go elsewhere or redesign their own on the Zazzle site. Zazzle is really high quality digital printing (but you PAY for that too):
    http://edsfiles.us/voc/voc.ai
    http://edsfiles.us/voc/voc.eps

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

The "flags" are hung.

Which flag goes right is a matter of opinion. Which is more important the republic or the Commonwealth?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Confirmed via David Nimms at Va. Dept. of General Services, who is the person you need to start with for approval of commercial uses of the State Seal.
    and, its actually a crime to use the Great Seal (and the Lesser seal) without permission.....

§ 1-505. Seals deemed property of Commonwealth; unauthorized use; penalty.

The seals of the Commonwealth shall be deemed the property of the Commonwealth; and no persons shall exhibit, display, or in any manner utilize the seals or any facsimile or representation of the seals of the Commonwealth for nongovernmental purposes unless such use is specifically authorized by law.

Except for the authorized commercial use of the seal as provided in § 2.2-122, any person violating the provisions of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than $100, or by imprisonment for not more than 30 days or both.

Not that following the law or anything matters when we're making t-shirts.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 03-25-2011 at 05:21 PM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Meh. The gun on my hip is a good enough logo and conversation starter as is.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    and, its actually a crime to use the Great Seal (and the Lesser seal) without permission.....
    Again, I used the FLAG, not the SEAL.

- - -
    And I am expressing my Freedom of speech with this logo and the use of the flags to show appreciation, expression of freedom and honor. I see other states with an OC logo and talked to some friends, got some ideas and a few of us decided to brainstorm and create what we thought was a cool logo for ourselves. I LOVE it and decided to share it.. you can LOVE it, hate it, use it, not use it, etc. But it is what it is and stands as is.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Again, I used the FLAG, not the SEAL.

- - -
    And I am expressing my Freedom of speech with this logo and the use of the flags to show appreciation, expression of freedom and honor. I see other states with an OC logo and talked to some friends, got some ideas and a few of us decided to brainstorm and create what we thought was a cool logo for ourselves. I LOVE it and decided to share it.. you can LOVE it, hate it, use it, not use it, etc. But it is what it is and stands as is.
    You are free to do as you see fit, Ed.

The way that it was explained to me a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, was that since the flag contained the SEAL, it was the same thing. If case law has changed that, so be it.

I have enough shirts anyway.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    You are free to do as you see fit, Ed.

The way that it was explained to me a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, was that since the flag contained the SEAL, it was the same thing. If case law has changed that, so be it.

I have enough shirts anyway.
    That's the way I always understood it Jim but...
    Skidmark seems to have gotten the loophole (Pun intended) straight from the horses mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Skidmark seems to have gotten the loophole (Pun intended) straight from the horses mouth.
    I understand that, but the keeper of the Seal is the Secretary of the Commonwealth AFAIK. I think he'd be the one that permission should come from...but I could be wrong.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Glad you clarified that.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member
    Nice!

A little "busy", though. Can it be simplified? Only the elements that are really necessary.

From an advertising viewpoint, sometimes less is more.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Nice!

A little "busy", though. Can it be simplified? Only the elements that are really necessary.

From an advertising viewpoint, sometimes less is more.
    Thanks Citizen. Yeah.. it went thru many changes and ideas.. Bottom line, I it looks a little busy on a forum but on a T-shirt when it is full size, it looks fine.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Founder's Club Member
    Thanks Citizen. Yeah.. it went thru many changes and ideas.. Bottom line, I it looks a little busy on a forum but on a T-shirt when it is full size, it looks fine.
    Oh, I see. OK, makes sense.

While we're on the subject, what diameter is it when applied to a tee shirt?

That being said, the State Flag in Ed's logo design is hung upside down. What is the bottom left corner should be the top right corner. The US Flag is back to front - the blue field should be at the top right corner, not the top left.

stay safe.
    That was my only issue with the picture, the hung flag does not appear 'correct'. But the concept is cool. Instead of a tshirt I would like a patch.
    Last edited by nuc65; 03-25-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Oh, I see. OK, makes sense.

While we're on the subject, what diameter is it when applied to a tee shirt?
    12 to 14" depending on which shirt you put it on.. I also posted the actual files so that folks don't have to use Zazzle.. They can use CustomInk.com or other sites too. This is not a money making program.. just an idea that came to fruition.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

I like it.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

if the speaker is facing the person looking at the shirt..... then why is he a southpaw?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast