• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Open Carry LOGO Shirts, Challenge Coins and Patches

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

ed

Cool

Why's the seal sideways?
The "flags" are hung.

A few of us went round and round on which side the flags go on. If a speaker was talking to an audience (like at a podium) the US flag would be to HIS right. but on something like this when the subject has his back to the viewer, the US flag goes on the left. ( iwas "corrected" on this.. I still thought it would have gone to the right of the guy standing.

t33j

The "flags" are hung.

A few of us went round and round on which side the flags go on. If a speaker was talking to an audience (like at a podium) the US flag would be to HIS right. but on something like this when the subject has his back to the viewer, the US flag goes on the left. ( iwas "corrected" on this.. I still thought it would have gone to the right of the guy standing.

Ahh I didn't recognize it as the Virginia flag :)banghead:) on the right because the shade of blue isn't as "deep" as I'm used to seeing hanging in my room every day. :D Then again, I'm not viewing it on my color corrected monitor atm.

TFred

Just FYI, I have no cites on this, because it was an e-mail conversation that I was made aware of from a third party...

They wanted to use the seal for something and inquired on the legality, etc.

The answer is... the seal is indeed a protected icon, however... the flag is not.

So if you want to use the seal of Virginia on something, you probably cant' by itself, but if you place it on a blue field that reasonably resembles a flag, you are fine.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just FYI, I have no cites on this, because it was an e-mail conversation that I was made aware of from a third party...

They wanted to use the seal for something and inquired on the legality, etc.

The answer is... the seal is indeed a protected icon, however... the flag is not.

So if you want to use the seal of Virginia on something, you probably cant' by itself, but if you place it on a blue field that reasonably resembles a flag, you are fine.

TFred

Confirmed via David Nimms at Va. Dept. of General Services, who is the person you need to start with for approval of commercial uses of the State Seal.

That being said, the State Flag in Ed's logo design is hung upside down. What is the bottom left corner should be the top right corner. The US Flag is back to front - the blue field should be at the top right corner, not the top left.

I'd rather have the t-shirt design on the front than on the back. It will get seen more if on the front - especially if you are sitting down when wearing the t-shirt. It will allow folks to interact with the wearer right away, as opposed to waiting for the wearer to go past them and hope they turn around to see if there is anything on the back of the t-shirt.

As for www.virginiaopencarry.org - it seems someone has registered that url and caused it to reflect back to the Virginia forum index page.

stay safe.

ed

I'd rather have the t-shirt design on the front than on the back. It will get seen more if on the front - especially if you are sitting down when wearing the t-shirt. It will allow folks to interact with the wearer right away, as opposed to waiting for the wearer to go past them and hope they turn around to see if there is anything on the back of the t-shirt.

As for www.virginiaopencarry.org - it seems someone has registered that url and caused it to reflect back to the Virginia forum index page.

stay safe.

I "think" once you click on the link you can pick any style shirt, hat, etc. and position the logo however you want.. front or back.. etc.. If not.. I can provide the logo for anyone that wants it to design their own personal shirt. I stole an idea from another OC group and on the front of MINE it simply says "good guy".

Here are the files for those that want to go elsewhere or redesign their own on the Zazzle site. Zazzle is really high quality digital printing (but you PAY for that too):
http://edsfiles.us/voc/voc.ai
http://edsfiles.us/voc/voc.eps

Ed

Thundar

The "flags" are hung.

Which flag goes right is a matter of opinion. Which is more important the republic or the Commonwealth?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Confirmed via David Nimms at Va. Dept. of General Services, who is the person you need to start with for approval of commercial uses of the State Seal.

and, its actually a crime to use the Great Seal (and the Lesser seal) without permission.....

§ 1-505. Seals deemed property of Commonwealth; unauthorized use; penalty.

The seals of the Commonwealth shall be deemed the property of the Commonwealth; and no persons shall exhibit, display, or in any manner utilize the seals or any facsimile or representation of the seals of the Commonwealth for nongovernmental purposes unless such use is specifically authorized by law.

Except for the authorized commercial use of the seal as provided in § 2.2-122, any person violating the provisions of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than $100, or by imprisonment for not more than 30 days or both.

Not that following the law or anything matters when we're making t-shirts. :)

Last edited:

ed

and, its actually a crime to use the Great Seal (and the Lesser seal) without permission.....

Again, I used the FLAG, not the SEAL.

- - -
And I am expressing my Freedom of speech with this logo and the use of the flags to show appreciation, expression of freedom and honor. I see other states with an OC logo and talked to some friends, got some ideas and a few of us decided to brainstorm and create what we thought was a cool logo for ourselves. I LOVE it and decided to share it.. you can LOVE it, hate it, use it, not use it, etc. But it is what it is and stands as is.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Again, I used the FLAG, not the SEAL.

- - -
And I am expressing my Freedom of speech with this logo and the use of the flags to show appreciation, expression of freedom and honor. I see other states with an OC logo and talked to some friends, got some ideas and a few of us decided to brainstorm and create what we thought was a cool logo for ourselves. I LOVE it and decided to share it.. you can LOVE it, hate it, use it, not use it, etc. But it is what it is and stands as is.

You are free to do as you see fit, Ed.

The way that it was explained to me a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, was that since the flag contained the SEAL, it was the same thing. If case law has changed that, so be it.

I have enough shirts anyway.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You are free to do as you see fit, Ed.

The way that it was explained to me a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, was that since the flag contained the SEAL, it was the same thing. If case law has changed that, so be it.

I have enough shirts anyway.

That's the way I always understood it Jim but...
Skidmark seems to have gotten the loophole (Pun intended) straight from the horses mouth.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Nice!

A little "busy", though. Can it be simplified? Only the elements that are really necessary.

From an advertising viewpoint, sometimes less is more.