• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Open Carry LOGO Shirts, Challenge Coins and Patches

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Thanks Citizen. Yeah.. it went thru many changes and ideas.. Bottom line, I it looks a little busy on a forum but on a T-shirt when it is full size, it looks fine.

Oh, I see. OK, makes sense.

While we're on the subject, what diameter is it when applied to a tee shirt?

nuc65

Activist Member
Confirmed via David Nimms at Va. Dept. of General Services, who is the person you need to start with for approval of commercial uses of the State Seal.

That being said, the State Flag in Ed's logo design is hung upside down. What is the bottom left corner should be the top right corner. The US Flag is back to front - the blue field should be at the top right corner, not the top left.

I'd rather have the t-shirt design on the front than on the back. It will get seen more if on the front - especially if you are sitting down when wearing the t-shirt. It will allow folks to interact with the wearer right away, as opposed to waiting for the wearer to go past them and hope they turn around to see if there is anything on the back of the t-shirt.

As for www.virginiaopencarry.org - it seems someone has registered that url and caused it to reflect back to the Virginia forum index page.

stay safe.

That was my only issue with the picture, the hung flag does not appear 'correct'. But the concept is cool. Instead of a tshirt I would like a patch.

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Oh, I see. OK, makes sense.

While we're on the subject, what diameter is it when applied to a tee shirt?
12 to 14" depending on which shirt you put it on.. I also posted the actual files so that folks don't have to use Zazzle.. They can use CustomInk.com or other sites too. This is not a money making program.. just an idea that came to fruition.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I understand that, but the keeper of the Seal is the Secretary of the Commonwealth AFAIK. I think he'd be the one that permission should come from...but I could be wrong.

David Nimms at GS is the identified point of contact where one starts applying for commercial use of the Great or Lesser Seal. He does the reviewing and sends along an "opinion" to the SecComm who does the final say-so.

So, in technical terms you are not wrong. In practical terms if Mr. Nimms does not luke it you are not gettinf the SecComm to like it either.

stay safe.

Attachments

• Youaretechnicallycorrect.jpg
    Youaretechnicallycorrect.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

ed

one starts applying for commercial use
Just in case skid and pro missed it..

I DON'T CARE!!!

It's not for "commercial use". It is for personal use. There is NO such organization as Virginia Open Carry. If Westboro Baptist Chuch can protest funerals of friends of mine I will DAMN WELL put whatever the F I want on a T-shirt. If you don't want one, or don't like the concept, or logo or flag positions or you have enough shirts.. then by ALL MEANS.. DON'T GET ONE!!!

:dude:

TFred

You are free to do as you see fit, Ed.

The way that it was explained to me a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, was that since the flag contained the SEAL, it was the same thing. If case law has changed that, so be it.

I have enough shirts anyway.
As I said earlier in my cite-less post... the word straight from the horse's mouth at that time (about 4 or 5 years ago, IIRC) was that as long as it reasonably resembled a flag, there could be no objection.

TFred

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Just in case skid and pro missed it..

I DON'T CARE!!!

It's not for "commercial use". It is for personal use. There is NO such organization as Virginia Open Carry. If Westboro Baptist Chuch can protest funerals of friends of mine I will DAMN WELL put whatever the F I want on a T-shirt. If you don't want one, or don't like the concept, or logo or flag positions or you have enough shirts.. then by ALL MEANS.. DON'T GET ONE!!!

:dude:

Well, its says you can't use it for "for nongovernmental purposes" but I know, I know....you don't care.

Did ya copyright it yet?

Last edited:

curtiswr

If you don't want one, or don't like the concept, or logo or flag positions or you have enough shirts.. then by ALL MEANS.. DON'T GET ONE!!!

Well that's just a silly bit of advice to feel the need to say. Hopefully any reasonable person that decides they don't like something doesn't need to be told to not get it. Is that a roundabout way of telling naysayers to shut up?

ed

Others..

These were some others that gave us the idea(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
I am using it for governmental purpose.. I am using it to rebell! :D

Works are automatically copyrighted at their moment of creation.

Yes but the damages you can get if the work is infringed upon is different. Registering the copyright lets you get statutory damages in addition to actual damages. So there can/is a benefit to registering it.

nuc65

Activist Member
Dear Friends,

I bring new news of the powerful gun-lobby. They have begun to exploit a loophole that allows them to use the great seal of the state of Virginia alongside the flag of our great nation. I am aghast that they have put these symbols with a gun. They have combined the symbols of freedom and of democracy with a symbol of self-defense. How dare they! I am beside myself with anger! Therefore, support me, send me money to fight the gun lobby and help me to close the flag loophole that allows them to flaunt and combine these great symbols of freedom.

Thank you, send much money.