• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Idea or Not?

amlevin

Saw an ad for this Pepper Spray.

yhst-60933755317041_2148_14900450

While the ergonomics of a gun are good for delivering the spray more accurately, is it a good idea? Guns are restricted in many areas where Pepper Spray is not.

It would seem to me that this might cause some unwanted grief for anyone carrying it.

Good Idea or Not? Your comments.

Metalhead47

Sure looks like a gun to me. Depending on how it delivers the pepper, might legally meet the definition of one too. I see what might be a hammer, if it uses an explosive or primer to discharge a projectile (pepper ball) I think that makes it a firearm under WA state law.

ETA: Ah, here it is:

RCW 9.41.010
Terms defined.

(7) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

Now, if that were a 12ga buckshot shell instead, that would make one messsy lil close-in BUG :eek:

Last edited:

j2l3

Pull that out on the wrong guy and you could get shot. The other person would have somewhat of a defense, since it looks like a gun and they had to make a split second decision to shoot or don't shoot...

I am not a lawyer, but I could see that happening....

meggers

Pull that out on the wrong guy and you could get shot. The other person would have somewhat of a defense, since it looks like a gun and they had to make a split second decision to shoot or don't shoot...

I am not a lawyer, but I could see that happening....

+1 You might want to check out Spitfire's line of products:

http://www.spitfire.us/

http://www.amazon.com/Spitfire-Brand-Personal-Defense-Pepper/dp/B0002INWGE

It's kind of a neat idea. Shoots a straight stream via a nozzle in the front (as opposed to the side like most pepper spray canisters) and is detachable from your keychain with a tug. This way, if you're ever car-jacked you can pull it off your keys, etc. And, if you're ever being strangled from behind, you can just move your hand up and behind your neck to shoot the attacker's eyes -- this wouldn't be possible with a normal pepper spray can.

Last edited: