Thread: Sig 556-r?

Sig 556-r?

Anyone tried or checked-out one of these yet? It's the 556 rifle, but chambered in 7.62x39mm and using AK mags.
    Saw one today in Academy, looked nice enough. Was going for around $1100. Seeing as how a lot of the better AK's -esp. the American-made/poly stock ones w/ modern rails, etc. are approaching that price, wonder if the 556R makes sense or?..

Haven't handled one myself, but the only reviews I saw of them were not great. Seems like the money would be better spent on an AK and lots of ammo, but then again I'm not a huge fan of the ak platform because of the ergonomics.

Here's the video reviews I saw:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXXmpp_T4l4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrObcZb_CCI

Ya, saw that one too- but, Im not sure if one should blame the rifle or the cheap-ass wolf ammo he was using. Look closely at the casings he holds up..

Only reason I wouldn't blame the ammo is the fact that the AK he had ran it fine. Seemed like a lot of light primer strikes, and the extraction issues can't be blamed on ammo. The extractor should have no problem stripping the round out of the chamber and not dropping it into the action.

I'm sure the majority of the 556R's are fine, but for the price I'd really have to question it. I'd rather have a $500 AK74 and 4000+ rounds of 5.45x39 for about $1000, than a single rifle chambered in 7.62x39 and no ammo. Heck, you could buy an ar15 in 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 and still come out way ahead.

I have a cheap Wasr-10 double stack ( AK) a dozen 30 round AK mags & 4000 rounds of Wolf ammo. I say buy a Wasr-10, mags & 4K of ammo for the same price.

But before you do that get a Good AR15...the AR I am holding is my Ruger SR-556 piston , new $ 1450.00 & the way it's sits I have about $ 1850.00 in Add ons. ( optics, mounts, flash hider , light laser & new Magpul UBR stock that has yet to be installed )

I also have 4000 rounds of Ammo for it & 100 - 30 round mags

very expensive hobby
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 03-27-2011 at 11:57 PM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???