• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig 556-r?

j4l

Anyone tried or checked-out one of these yet? It's the 556 rifle, but chambered in 7.62x39mm and using AK mags.
Saw one today in Academy, looked nice enough. Was going for around $1100. Seeing as how a lot of the better AK's -esp. the American-made/poly stock ones w/ modern rails, etc. are approaching that price, wonder if the 556R makes sense or?..

j4l

Ya, saw that one too- but, Im not sure if one should blame the rifle or the cheap-ass wolf ammo he was using. Look closely at the casings he holds up..

irish52084

Only reason I wouldn't blame the ammo is the fact that the AK he had ran it fine. Seemed like a lot of light primer strikes, and the extraction issues can't be blamed on ammo. The extractor should have no problem stripping the round out of the chamber and not dropping it into the action.

I'm sure the majority of the 556R's are fine, but for the price I'd really have to question it. I'd rather have a $500 AK74 and 4000+ rounds of 5.45x39 for about $1000, than a single rifle chambered in 7.62x39 and no ammo. Heck, you could buy an ar15 in 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 and still come out way ahead.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I have a cheap Wasr-10 double stack ( AK) a dozen 30 round AK mags & 4000 rounds of Wolf ammo. I say buy a Wasr-10, mags & 4K of ammo for the same price.

But before you do that get a Good AR15...the AR I am holding is my Ruger SR-556 piston , new $ 1450.00 & the way it's sits I have about $ 1850.00 in Add ons. ( optics, mounts, flash hider , light laser & new Magpul UBR stock that has yet to be installed )

I also have 4000 rounds of Ammo for it & 100 - 30 round mags

very expensive hobby :)

Last edited: