• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dick's Sporting Goods not gun owner/Military friendly

Saint1911

I went to the Dick's Sporting Goods in Lynnhaven Mall in Va Beach to buy my 11 year old son a .22 Rifle for his birthday tonight. I was informed that Military has to provide FOUR forms of ID. The young man working the counter was very polite about it but I asked him why the fourth form. I had my out of state drivers license, Military ID and Military Orders which is all state law requires. He told me he thought it was store policy but that he would call the manager to verify. I am still very polite and so is he.

When the manager gets to the counter the manager is very sort with me and tells me that I have to have a fourth form of ID with a local address. I have none (other than the required military orders) and I asked him what that policy was based on. He replied "Based on Dick's Sporting Goods" :banghead: At that point I remained politely told him I would take my business to a place that honors state law.

I also managed to convince a young sailor who was considering a pump shotgun that there are better places to spend his money as I left. :monkey

As far as I am concerned Dicks Sporting Goods will not receive another dime from me and I am considering writing to corporate.

Badger Johnson

Not to hijack your thread, but try changing your out-of-state driver's license to a Va DL, and do a change back to your original name (for a divorcee). You need old license, SS card, passport and original birth certificate and a small shrubbery.

Having said that it's possible that the out-of-state license triggered them asking for something more. Wouldn't your credit card be a fourth form?

Saint1911

Not to hijack your thread, but try changing your out-of-state driver's license to a Va DL, and do a change back to your original name (for a divorcee). You need old license, SS card, passport and original birth certificate and a small shrubbery.

Having said that it's possible that the out-of-state license triggered them asking for something more. Wouldn't your credit card be a fourth form?

I have purchased SEVERAL guns in VA over the years. Out of State DL doesn't matter. I have purchased TWO since the beginning of February. I don't want a VA license or registration. Mine has served me fine since I got stationed here in 1998. All I want is for State law to be followed without adding your own stipulations.

Credit card doesn't work for Fourth form of ID because it doesn't have a local address on it.

papa bear

:confused:
from the Va HP website

Identification and Residency Requirements

A primary and secondary form of identification must be presented to the firearms dealer at the time of purchase of any firearm except an antique weapon, or replica of an antique weapon.

Primary Identification

The primary form of ID shall consist of a valid photo-ID form issued by a governmental agency of the Commonwealth or of the prospective purchaser or transferee’s home state that denotes the individual’s name, race, sex, address, and date of birth. Where the primary form is a photo-ID issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the dealer shall not transfer a firearm to the prospective purchaser until 30-days after the date of issue of an original or duplicate driver's license unless a copy of his/her DMV driver's record is presented showing that the original date of issue was more than 30-days prior to the attempted purchase.

The primary form of ID for a non-Virginia resident, for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun, must consist of a valid photo-ID issued by a governmental agency of the prospective purchaser’s home state that denote the purchaser’s name, race, sex, date of birth and address. Federal law prohibits the sale or transfer of a handgun to a nonresident of the state in which the handgun is being purchased.

A social security card IS NOT an acceptable form of identification.

A birth certificate IS NOT an acceptable form of identification.

Effective January 1, 2004, DMV will not issue an original license, permit, or ID card to any applicant who has not presented evidence that he/she is a citizen of the United States, a legal permanent resident, or an authorized temporary resident alien of the United States. In the instance of temporary residence, the DMV document will only be valid during the period of authorized stay in the United States.

Secondary Identification

The secondary form of identification, for Virginia residents and residents of other states, must show an address identical to that shown on the primary form of identification. Some acceptable forms of secondary ID are:

* a current lease,
* evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax,
* a current utility or telephone bill,
* a current voter registration card,
* a current bank check,
* a current passport,
* a current automobile registration and
* current hunting or fishing license.

Military Personnel

Active military personnel permanently stationed in Virginia (including the Pentagon as of July 1, 2011) are treated as Virginia residents for the purchase of a handgun. Identification and residency are established by the following:

A military photo-identification card issued by the United States Department of Defense and proof that Virginia is the permanent duty station via current military assignment orders is acceptable identification and residency documentation to establish military personnel as residents of Virginia.

If permanently assigned to a mobile unit in Virginia, and the homeport is listed as Virginia; the transaction may be processed as a Virginia resident the same as any other permanent military assignment to Virginia supported by military assignment orders. The individual is treated as a non-Virginia resident if the homeport is listed as any place other than Virginia.

Individuals retired from military service are subject to the same identification and residency requirements as any other person wishing to purchase a firearm; i.e., a primary and secondary form of ID.

from what i can understand anyone can buy a .22 rifle with just two I.D.s. i thought the military requirements were for hand guns, for foreign to state residents

Saint1911

:confused:
from the Va HP website

Military Personnel

Active military personnel permanently stationed in Virginia (including the Pentagon as of July 1, 2011) are treated as Virginia residents for the purchase of a handgun. Identification and residency are established by the following:

A military photo-identification card issued by the United States Department of Defense and proof that Virginia is the permanent duty station via current military assignment orders is acceptable identification and residency documentation to establish military personnel as residents of Virginia.

If permanently assigned to a mobile unit in Virginia, and the homeport is listed as Virginia; the transaction may be processed as a Virginia resident the same as any other permanent military assignment to Virginia supported by military assignment orders. The individual is treated as a non-Virginia resident if the homeport is listed as any place other than Virginia.

from what i can understand anyone can buy a .22 rifle with just two I.D.s. i thought the military requirements were for hand guns, for foreign to state residents

There in is why I am ticked off about this. I agree also that as far as I know it only applies to handguns but regardless I had more than adaquate ID and documentation of residency under state law.

I will post my letter when I write it as well as any reply I receive.

Maybe it is just me, but if we (service men and women) are willing to die defending these rights what justification does any person, company or entity have to add their own requirements, beyond what is required by state and federal law, to allow us to excercise those same rights?:mad:

If I am angry for no reason say so but I feel completely justified.

ocholsteroc

I went to the Dick's Sporting Goods in Lynnhaven Mall in Va Beach to buy my 11 year old son a .22 Rifle for his birthday tonight. I was informed that Military has to provide FOUR forms of ID. The young man working the counter was very polite about it but I asked him why the fourth form. I had my out of state drivers license, Military ID and Military Orders which is all state law requires. He told me he thought it was store policy but that he would call the manager to verify. I am still very polite and so is he.

When the manager gets to the counter the manager is very sort with me and tells me that I have to have a fourth form of ID with a local address. I have none (other than the required military orders) and I asked him what that policy was based on. He replied "Based on Dick's Sporting Goods" :banghead: At that point I remained politely told him I would take my business to a place that honors state law.

I also managed to convince a young sailor who was considering a pump shotgun that there are better places to spend his money as I left. :monkey

As far as I am concerned Dicks Sporting Goods will not receive another dime from me and I am considering writing to corporate.

I been to that same Dick's and bought somethings and no one said anything. I also been to the one down the road from there, no problems. Never bought a gun from them. I have had the guys behind the counter ask me what caliber, I have even handled a gun looking at it.

Where you OC'ing?

was informed that Military has to provide FOUR forms of ID.

FOUR!? thats insane.

Last edited:

Saint1911

Where you OC'ing?

FOUR!? thats insane.

I wasn't carrying at all. I agree four is insane but "based on {the law of} Dicks Sporting Goods" that is what they require for military. 2 photo ID's, Military Orders, and another ID with local address.

Greg Bradburn

That stinks that they did that to you. I'd be very interested in seeing their response to your letter.

If you really want to see crazy, go to a Dicks and say you want to buy a shotgun. When they ask you what you want to use it for sale "home defense". They will tell they "have nothing suitable for that purpose". Politely point to a nice 12 gauge on the rack and say "what about that one?" They will sternly say "we have nothing suitable for that purpose. Next"

I'm not kidding.

Mr H

If you really want to see crazy, go to a Dicks and say you want to buy a shotgun. When they ask you what you want to use it for sale "home defense". They will tell they "have nothing suitable for that purpose". Politely point to a nice 12 gauge on the rack and say "what about that one?" They will sternly say "we have nothing suitable for that purpose. Next"

I'm not kidding.

Interesting...

I've had exactly the opposite experience at two separate Dick's stores, even being here in the lovely PRM

:))

I suspect you happened across sales folk and/or managers with a personal agenda??

YMMV

Red Dawg

I am surprised on so many levels...One, the two young guys I know that work at that Dicks, in the guns and rods area, basically could care less about who buys what. And the fact that there are no real laws about ADULTS buying shotguns and rifles, well that adds and baffles me. It's expensive, so that's where I can always get my Hornady Defensive...

Saint1911

At what point where they not honoring state law? Nothing says they're required to sell to you or anyone else. If you're unhappy with their store policy, then obviously you did the right thing by going elsewhere.

You are right and I never said they violated state law, I simply said I would go to a place that adheres to state law as in a place that doesn't add their own stipulation beyond what state law requires. Four forms of ID just seems a bit much. The attitude of the Manager was also a big part of the problem.

papa bear

sorry to say, i agree that they do not have to sell. but that is the good thing about the way the market works. not only did they loose that immediate sell. they also lost some future sells you might have made, and also you probably will influence not only people on this site ,but also numerous people in your personal life. all because some jock sniffer was put in management.

Custom Volusia

Very interesting. Something for me to keep in mind next time I purchase.

Just curiuos, if you were looking at guns, why don't you go to the USMC exchange off of Terminal BLVD in Norfolk? Won't have any issues buying there! that's for sure!!! lol

MSC 45ACP

Very interesting. Something for me to keep in mind next time I purchase.

Just curiuos, if you were looking at guns, why don't you go to the USMC exchange off of Terminal BLVD in Norfolk? Won't have any issues buying there! that's for sure!!! lol

The only issue there is that you have to go to the range to buy ammo and their prices aren't the greatest. The also don't have much of a variety and you can't buy more than a box or two there. They DO have good prices on firearms, though...

Last edited:

Mailman

My Dick's Sporting Goods experience

I went to the Fredericksburg, VA store a couple of years ago to buy a Ruger 10/22. The clerk at the counter handed me the normal 2 forms plus an extra Dick's form to fill out. The Dick's form essentially was something for me to sign stating that I would be a responsible gun owner. I assume it is a CYA (cover your a**) form for them. I asked him if it was required of me to sign it and yes was the answer. I then told him that they would not be getting my $$ because of the extra form. I went down the street to Gander Mountain where no extra form was required and I bought the gun for $10.00 less.

Custom Volusia

The only issue there is that you have to go to the range to buy ammo and their prices aren't the greatest. The also don't have much of a variety and you can't buy more than a box or two there. They DO have good prices on firearms, though...

I've never bought ammo there..I normally just go to walmart for that...so didn't know that bout the ammo.

but IF I purchase a gun in VA before I get transferred I will go there....

KuriRyu

Current lease

My wife and I went there today and they refused to accept a lease as a second form of ID. I want to shop elsewhere, but I don't know where else to get a good deal like that (Pardner Protector, 12 gauge, $220).