• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

work and carrying

bones87

First off let me say hello, i'm a newbie. didn't see an intro section. I'm from Central KY..
ok now here is my question. I drive a tow truck, mostly day shift. but as the case of tonight I just impounded a vehical for a buisness. Turns out after talking with the "central dispatch" for my county that the guy that owns the vehical actuly has a warrent out for his arrest on several violent/assult style charges. lol being as how there was no one else withen a 1/4-1/2 mile near me while i was doing this and how i'm a small guy. 5'7-145lbs. I was wondering if there was any laws here in KY that anyone might know about that would not allow for me to carry my weapon while on duty with work.
thank you.

eye95

By way of a general answer: If you can lawfully carry in your truck and walking around in public, then you should be able to carry on the job. However, your employer might have a no-carry policy. You can ask. Many here would advise that if there is no published policy, carry without asking. Personally, I would want to know my employer's feelings on the subject before he saw me carrying.

For more specific answers regarding KY law, post on the KY forum. It can be found the the States section of the main index.

Welcome.

Badger Johnson

You should at least invest in some non-lethal options until you can get your permit. OC spray, taser, high lumen flashlight. Then when you get your CC permit, don't tell and he (presumably) won't ask. Practice deploying it quickly, etc.

Good luck!

RooksGambit

If I am to understand our Statutes correctly here in Kentucky, an employer may not lawfully deny you the right to carry a weapon in your personal vehicle. On his property or in one of his vehicles, I believe, is completely up to him. It sounds like it might be a worthwhile discussion for you to have.

I am not overly familiar with the KRSs yet, but I'm learning. I can swear this has been brought up in the KY forum and I read the KRS (or perhaps one of our newly passed HB's? 313 or 308?).

I know I'm supposed to cite my information, but I don't really know where it is. That said, here is a very handy link to the KRSs. Try asking over on the Kentucky forum, too. The folk there are very knowledgeable.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The Krs u r looking for rook is 237.106. There is another relating to ccw holders but the one I just gave u is wat matters.

RooksGambit

Employers can not prohibit or punish you for a gun in your car even on their property.

Which is why I said in one of his (the employer's) vehicles, and by "on his property" I meant concealed or openly carried on bones' person, outside of his personal vehicle but on his employer's privately owned property. Which is a moot point to boot, considering his boss apparently takes no issue with his carrying.

;):p

Last edited: