• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie to the forum and OC from Nicholasville here

bones87

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I found this forum last night and seems great! Lots of good info and support here. I do have one quick question I've yet to get a straight answer on.. I do not have a CCDW in all honesty prob simply due to being lazy and not wanting to dedicate an entire sat. To it.. With that being said I drive a tow truck for a living a do occasionaly draw the night shift as of in the event of last night I was called out by a local orginization to impound a vehical in a secluded area that belong to a violent offender that was said to be mentally unstable so to speak. So long story short is it legal to OC while on duty with work? Just for the record I'm not just a 20 something guy who just went and bought a pistol I am a combat vet who was raised with fire arms my entire life
thank you

hotrod

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I found this forum last night and seems great! Lots of good info and support here. I do have one quick question I've yet to get a straight answer on.. I do not have a CCDW in all honesty prob simply due to being lazy and not wanting to dedicate an entire sat. To it.. With that being said I drive a tow truck for a living a do occasionaly draw the night shift as of in the event of last night I was called out by a local orginization to impound a vehical in a secluded area that belong to a violent offender that was said to be mentally unstable so to speak. So long story short is it legal to OC while on duty with work? Just for the record I'm not just a 20 something guy who just went and bought a pistol I am a combat vet who was raised with fire arms my entire life
thank you
As long as your not a prohibited person, you are welcome to carry openly, in your vehicle, on your hip, in your glove box, and soon in any compartment inside your vehicle originally installed by the manufacturer. The only thing that could stop you would be the employer. If he says no, that could be a problem.

Last edited:

bones87

Thank you 2 for the info, I have spoke with the owner about it and said he would not have a problem with it, so again thank you for the information

RooksGambit

Glad you found the info you needed. It would probably be in your best interest to familiarize yourself with our state statutes on the matter. To avoid any unforseen circumstances. I've been boning up the past couple of weeks and don't plan to stop until I can quote them and their codes from memory (but I'll still carry a cheat sheet).

If your employer has no issues, you should be golden! Nice to have that piece of mind on a potentially risky job.

KRM59

Big Warm welcome

Welcome to OCDC Bones glad to have you with us. Hope you find as i have a lot of good people and good info.

bones87

Glad you found the info you needed. It would probably be in your best interest to familiarize yourself with our state statutes on the matter. To avoid any unforseen circumstances. I've been boning up the past couple of weeks and don't plan to stop until I can quote them and their codes from memory (but I'll still carry a cheat sheet).

If your employer has no issues, you should be golden! Nice to have that piece of mind on a potentially risky job.
The cheat sheet you speak of, I found a few threads on here with brochures and cards but have not succesfully got either to load or open do you by anychance have a link or where I can find the nes statutes to make life easier in the case of being questioned or having to have a LEO waste his time on a law bidding citizen?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
U will not find any statutes governing open carry in ky bc there isn't ne it is a right protected by our state constitution and legislature can't make laws governing it. Once u get read up ull c how good we have it in ky. The state supreme court has ruled no govt. Agency can question ones right to open carry in ky so inform the officer if one stops u for this legal activity about that if he is being smart.

UnfetteredMight

The cheat sheet you speak of, I found a few threads on here with brochures and cards but have not succesfully got either to load or open do you by anychance have a link or where I can find the nes statutes to make life easier in the case of being questioned or having to have a LEO waste his time on a law bidding citizen?

You probably need acrobat reader.
http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

bones87

Just wanted to thank you all again for the info. I actuly found a piece of info from the KSP website to print out and stored that in my wallet

UnfetteredMight

This isn't completely accurate information. There are laws against OC in schools and loaded OC in bars. So, the General Assembly can legislate in this area. State agencies do prohibit OC on some public property. Prisons, jails, mental hospitals. The one that comes to mind first is the State Fairgrounds. I've posted several times about 300 KAR 1:041 Section 3 and Section 4. The ability of the State government to legislate OC is greatly restricted and limited by the constitution, but it can be done and has been done. Unfortunately, I fear it will be expanded in the future.
By the way, Richie Farmer is a member of the State Fair Board. I have sent emails to Commissioner Farmer and I spoke to him face to face at the Gun Show in Louisville about this. He claimed he had been sick and unable to answer a lot of emails, weak assed excuse. His assistant took my email address and Farmer promised to investigate this and get back with me. He never did. I suggest you remember this on Election Day. His email is richie.farmer@ky.gov if you feel like contacting him. I'm not all together happy with Steve Beshear, but he has not caused any problems for gun owner since he's been in office. I've also contacted his office about the Fairgrounds and they have taken no action. There is an alternative, Phil Moffett. He is very pro gun. I don't know that he has much of a chance, but I know he will get one vote in the primary.

It won't be expanded with the likes of us on watch! I prefer to have an optimistic outlook, seems as though our gun rights have been expanding in Kentucky, not rescinding.

As for the fair grounds, has anyone ever been arrested for violating the no weapons signs? I wonder if their reasoning is that when they are rented out, they fall under the control of the renter, so in effect become "private property" for that duration? I'm working from vague memory here, but wouldn't that be the same reasoning that they tried to use for Thunder Over Louisville and it was shot down by the state? Or is some kind of distinction made because the fairgrounds are an enclosure?

I'll look into it myself and try to open a line of communication with Richie Farmer, not that I expect to make any more progress than you did. Did Steve Beshear's office even contact you back about it?

I've heard Phil Moffett's name mentioned before, I'll have to look into his record and if he is as pro gun as I've heard, he'll get my vote as well and I'll push for his election with my contacts.

UnfetteredMight

The KAR does not give a penalty for carrying in Fairgrounds buildings. Just the same old "you'll be asked to leave". Even the reg. says that the search is not to find evidence of a crime, just to keep guns out. Of couse, if you refuse you'll be charged with trespassing. The Thunder Over Louisville problem was not "shot down" by the state. KC3 told the Louisville Metro Police that any officer who enforced it would be sued as an individual and the FOP told the city they would not enforce it and the city folded.

Oh...well that's even better. Sounds like that was their way of drawing a line in the sand, nice.