Thread: prohibited places for OC

Question prohibited places for OC

Besides places prohibited by law, will private business (best buy, dick's, the mall, walmart) be able to prohibit you from open carrying on their property? i know in other states they have to have a certain sign placed on the front door. but what about here in florida?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.

They can ask you to leave, but they cannot prosecute you for carrying a weapon into their establishment. Signs prohibiting firearms have no force of law in Florida unless the place is prohibited specifically in statute. However, should you refuse to leave, then you are trespassing and will be forced to leave.
    Last edited by skk123; 03-26-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mach1chris View Post
    If you are asked to leave and yet refuse to leave you are trespassing, yes! you will be arrested.
    If there is a Cops around to do it. Hence, why we carry guns. They are never there, and take forever to show up.

But why do you want to hang around in a place that doesn't respect your right to be alive? Why would you give your money to people like that?
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    If there is a Cops around to do it. Hence, why we carry guns. They are never there, and take forever to show up.

But why do you want to hang around in a place that doesn't respect your right to be alive? Why would you give your money to people like that?
    I have a small but handy list of businesses that do not allow OC and choose to spend my money else where. I have actually myself got 2 of the stores taken off the list by doing a lot of calling and meeting with the managers.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

wal-mart will allow open carry. their policy is if state law allows it they allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo6906 View Post
    wal-mart will allow open carry. their policy is if state law allows it they allow it.
    starbucks too right? Normally I prefer dunkin' donuts, but this might change depending on who trusts me to be legally armed on their premises.
    Anyone know of any pro-2a banks common in FL? My current bank has the dumb little "no guns" sign, so I guess CC-only at their branches
    (but that sign clearly looks like a revolver, so of course I could say, "but see? it shows no 'revolvers,' this isn't one...")

Quote Originally Posted by protect our rights View Post
    I have a small but handy list of businesses that do not allow OC and choose to spend my money else where. I have actually myself got 2 of the stores taken off the list by doing a lot of calling and meeting with the managers.
    Though I'm in another state, could you send me or share this list, so we at least know which major chains do/don't approve?

I have never had a problem with starbucks but I am not sure what their official line is. did I miss something is florida an oc state now?

In the Wisconsin thread we have two lists..."Stores WHo Infinge On Our Rights" and "Business's That Are OC Friendly"

All above info is also correct in Wisconsin...Can ask you to leave and if you don't... trespassing...

Outdoorsman1

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo6906 View Post
    I have never had a problem with starbucks but I am not sure what their official line is. did I miss something is florida an oc state now?
    Not yet, but we're damn close.

Quote Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
    Not yet, but we're damn close.
    +1 Closest we've been in 20-somthing years, right?

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    SO you can OC in Florida on/in private property?
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    SO you can OC in Florida on/in private property?
    Well, on YOUR OWN private property, or other private property with permission of the owner if you are there for target practice, etc. By constitutional unenforceability, I guess you can OC in friends' houses with their permission, because there's no way police could stop you unless your friend lets them in, but it's not actually legally permitted; dumb, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ~*'Phoenix'*~ View Post
    but it's not actually legally permitted; dumb, right?
    This is an interesting phrase that would normally get you flamed.

It is most generally accepted that if it isn't illegal, it's legal. Laws don't exist to permit activities.

However, in FL, it generally is permissive. Florida Law is, in most cases, a blanket prohibition of all things, with exceptions that 'allow' you do to certain things. It's incredibly anti-American. But, it is part of why the "Only Ones" attitude is so deeply entrenched here.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Hammer, greetings from the same city.

This is an interesting phrase that would normally get you flamed.

It is most generally accepted that if it isn't illegal, it's legal. Laws don't exist to permit activities.

However, in FL, it generally is permissive. Florida Law is, in most cases, a blanket prohibition of all things, with exceptions that 'allow' you do to certain things. It's incredibly anti-American. But, it is part of why the "Only Ones" attitude is so deeply entrenched here.
    so you could get arrested for eating a hot dog with an improper mustard to catsup ratio because there is no law saying you can have more mustard than catsup? I looked at there seems to be no florida statues permitting anything. In fact there are plenty of statues prohibiting stuff. go figure.

Categorically.

If there were a section of law pertaining to eating hot dogs in FL, it would start off by saying "all eating of hot dogs is illegal" it would then have a bunch of exceptions and circumstances under which you would be allowed to eat a hot dog.

Read more of it and you'll start to see the theme.

Categorically.

If there were a section of law pertaining to eating hot dogs in FL, it would start off by saying "all eating of hot dogs is illegal" it would then have a bunch of exceptions and circumstances under which you would be allowed to eat a hot dog.

Read more of it and you'll start to see the theme.
    sounds like everything is legal unless otherwise stated by statue just like everyplace else. here (washington) they do the same thing... prohibit whatever, then list exceptions. florida is not that different than anyplace else.

The point being, there's some really weird stuff you wouldn't even think of waiting to sneak up on you.

Florida's Lawmaking mentality has been pretty damned vicious and anti-citizen for a long time. I'll just agree to disagree...

I think Fl statutes could be greatly reduced in words. We could first try replacing the entire body of law with:

"It is illegal for an individual or group of individuals or corporation or city government or county government to harm another individual's life or property by force, fraud, or negligence; and the state legislature is not excepted from this rule. If the state or any government breaks this rule, then any law is voided upon passage and its execution can be resisted with any force necessary. In any dispute, the unanimous decision of two private courts will be considered binding. If the loosing parties do not accept the judgements of restitution rendered, then the case can be appealed to a state court which will make a final decision and have enforcement power. All disputes where the state is a party, may not be heard in a state court; the unanimous decision of two private courts shall be binding."

Why not try it? I think it will work a lot better than what we have now.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

"Nuke It From Orbit" works fine, too.