• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Feds still desecrating balls bluff cemetery

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Justto clarify the rest of the park under nvrpa is carry ok, and have talked to the caretaker and he is friendly and agrees the sign is a disgrace. But the department veteran affairs is a "stone wall" according to him.

Can't find the cite right now, but I have read that guns are not allowed in any of the Dept. of Veterans Affairs cemeteries.

KBCraig

Can't find the cite right now, but I have read that guns are not allowed in any of the Dept. of Veterans Affairs cemeteries.

VA uses the CFR to ban all guns from all their properties, even parking lots.

I'll have to search for the cites too, but this is a well known problem with VA.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Remove the sign from the post, take it out to a range and use it for a target.

There, I fixed it for you. :p

......--Moderator Comment--
Even said in jest, such comments serve to harm us.

We advocate obeying the law, not acts of vandalism.

Last edited:

conhntr

Am I reading this right? This little cemetery is in the middle of a park... you can carry in the park, but not inside the brick-walled cemetery...?

Crazy.

Especially since the graves are soldiers... it would make just as much sense to replace that sign with this:

TFred

Right fred thats what makes it so stupid. The parking lot is about 1/4 mile away and besides reanactments/maintnance i have never seen anyone enter the cemeterey area (it might even be locked i never even tried the gate). I am at the park at least 1-2 times a week walking th dog/oc. Lots of out of staters and ive had good discussions with most of them. A few whackos but not many

MSC 45ACP

See, you've got a lot in common with Chicago community organizers.

And also with another politician from Houston, TX. She was elected by the residents of Houston's cemeteries and local "residents" (with no fixed address) whom she provided rides and McDonalds Gift certificates. She hasn't been impeached yet, either. They keep re-electing her. Headstones, illegals and the homeless DO get to vote in TX.

Its too bad one can't carry at VA hospitals. There are some 'characters' on the grounds of the Hampton VA hospital I'd rather not deal with on a personal level.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
And also with another politician from Houston, TX. She was elected by the residents of Houston's cemeteries and local "residents" (with no fixed address) whom she provided rides and McDonalds Gift certificates. She hasn't been impeached yet, either. They keep re-electing her. Headstones, illegals and the homeless DO get to vote in TX.

Its too bad one can't carry at VA hospitals. There are some 'characters' on the grounds of the Hampton VA hospital I'd rather not deal with on a personal level.

Do some of them have MD behind there name? :lol:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I asked the Park Service where the "federal facilities" are, to which the sign implicitly refers. Here's their response:
Greetings:

Thank you for your email to the National Park Service Discover Our Shared
Heritage Travel Itinerary Series mailbox. We are unable to answer;your
question and recommend you contact the cemetery directly. Our contact
information is

Call 703-779-9372 for further information, or visit the website of the
Veterans Administration - National Cemetery Administration

Best wishes,

Carol D. Shull
Interim Keeper of the National Register
of Historic Places
Chief, Heritage Education Services
National Park Service
1201 Eye Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: 202-354-2234
Fax: 202-371-1616

user

Accomplished Advocate
Is there any legal recourse to a private entity using a "dust in the eyes" sign? I'm still carrying a grudge about a local business who has falsely posted a sign saying that carry is unlawful on their property.

TFred

Sorry, I missed this question, earlier. Simple answer is, "no". There's a difference between "illegal" and "unlawful". The former is a prohibition; the latter merely refers to that which is unauthorized. I'd guess the average Va. GDC judge would say that the word, "unlawful", is a pretty clear indication of the landowner/property manager/tenant's intent with respect to firearms. He's not saying it's "illegal", so technically, it's not a lie.