• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

police encounter

ryanburbridge

Just wanted to know how was your enounter with leo was like . Was it a negative or positive one?

Search YouTube for open carry and you will get your answer. I have some good and some bad.

Most LEO contact will be a negative encounter since it usually involves you not being free to go about your life. LEO have a job to do and it is to arrest people for breaking laws. As a rule NEVER talk to the police. If you don't believe me search YouTube for "don't talk to cops" a long vid but well worth the time to be educated. A lawyer and a cops position on why talking to LEO is a BAD idea.

For what it's worth.

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto

MKEgal

If you're asking someone in particular, it'd be better to PM them.

If you're asking for info about & from anyone...
My encounters with my friend who happens to be a LEO are good. He's a good guy.

My 2 encounters where I've been the focus of hostile police attention have NOT been pleasant.
The one last summer was settled in my favor with a few thousand dollars changing hands (from the city to me).

The most recent one is still too fresh to talk about much. I've done ORR/FOIA requests & will forward documents to at least 1 lawyer so we can decide what to do.

I second what ryan says, though - go on YouTube & watch both parts of the "don't talk to cops" videos. It'll be one of the most useful hours you'll ever spend.

Christopher

Hey fellas, i had an encounter a couple weeks back. I was out riding my motorcycle and decided to stop in at seven eleven to get something to drink. As i was getting off my bike i noticed a lady franticly dialing her cellphone, i paid no attention to it though for all i know she could have been calling whoever.

So i went into seven eleven to carry on my business as usual and everything was fine. As i exited the store a McMinnville police officer made contact with me.
Officer:
"Excuse me"

Me:
"How can i help you"

Officer:
"Has anyone ever made contact with you carrying a gun into seven eleven before?"

Me:
"No sir"

Officer:
"Oh well somebody called the police, and said they saw someone entering the store with a gun"

Me:
"So."

Officer:
"It's okay, i asked the dispatcher what you were doing with it, and she said the woman who called said it was on his hip."

Me:
"So why are you here?"

Officer:
"To make sure you wern't robbing the place, but your not. I just don't see why the dispatcher didn't say to the person who called it was legal to open carry."

Me:
"My thoughts exactly"

Officer:
"Do you always carry like that or is it because you don't have a CHL?"

Me:
"No CHL is required to openly carry a handgun in the sate of Oregon"

Officer:
"Oh, no i know that. I was just wondering"

Me:
"But i do hold a CHL."

Officer:
"Are you from McMinnville?

Me:
"Yep"

Officer:
"Okay, i apologize for wasting your time"

Me:
"Have a nice day officer"

And thats when i hopped back on my bike and took off, overall the experience was fine he was polite and respectful of my space and my rights. And he was a little ticked that he had to waste his time and our tax dollars on me, because dispatch didn't know what to tell the "Scared lady".

Phlip74

This is why Mac is great!!!

Hey fellas, i had an encounter a couple weeks back. I was out riding my motorcycle and decided to stop in at seven eleven to get something to drink. As i was getting off my bike i noticed a lady franticly dialing her cellphone, i paid no attention to it though for all i know she could have been calling whoever.

So i went into seven eleven to carry on my business as usual and everything was fine. As i exited the store a McMinnville police officer made contact with me.
Officer:
"Excuse me"

Me:
"How can i help you"

Officer:
"Has anyone ever made contact with you carrying a gun into seven eleven before?"

Me:
"No sir"

Officer:
"Oh well somebody called the police, and said they saw someone entering the store with a gun"

Me:
"So."

Officer:
"It's okay, i asked the dispatcher what you were doing with it, and she said the woman who called said it was on his hip."

Me:
"So why are you here?"

Officer:
"To make sure you wern't robbing the place, but your not. I just don't see why the dispatcher didn't say to the person who called it was legal to open carry."

Me:
"My thoughts exactly"

Officer:
"Do you always carry like that or is it because you don't have a CHL?"

Me:
"No CHL is required to openly carry a handgun in the sate of Oregon"

Officer:
"Oh, no i know that. I was just wondering"

Me:
"But i do hold a CHL."

Officer:
"Are you from McMinnville?

Me:
"Yep"

Officer:
"Okay, i apologize for wasting your time"

Me:
"Have a nice day officer"

And thats when i hopped back on my bike and took off, overall the experience was fine he was polite and respectful of my space and my rights. And he was a little ticked that he had to waste his time and our tax dollars on me, because dispatch didn't know what to tell the "Scared lady".

I love living here!

Christopher

I love living here!

Ya i have to agree, all the police here are very curtious and respectful, they never like to just give people a hard time, (except for the criminals) :lol: Now if only all law enforcement was like McMinnville PD and Yamhill county sheriffs office.