Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking into OC, Shelby Township

Looking into OC, Shelby Township

I'm a 19 year old male from Shelby Twp, and I really want to get into OC. However I'm not sure where to start. IE:Places that are OC friendly in Macomb County, what type of pistol/holster would be good for someone of my body type and age. 5'6" 220lbs. "yes I'm a bigger guy" Any info would be greatly appreciated, I have been lurking around here for a while and I really think it's time to take the plunge and get my feet wet.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Welcome Andrew.

May I suggest watching the forum for when there is an OC event (lunch, dinner, get together) that you can attend and just show up even if you don't have a sidearm and learn as much as you can from the folks there.

Sometimes there are folks who may be able to give you a ride to an event if needed.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Here since November...I'd say that's lurking.

First get comfortable carrying around your house and yard, keep watching the youtube videos posted here to know how to handle the worst case scenarios (but the odds are they won't happen) then around town and parks (where you know its legal). Don't go anywhere that has any liquor license.

Welcome
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar

Welcome

Hello acrews! welcome to OC!
    I started out carrying into the places around town that know my face then expanded from there. A meet and eat is a good way to get out and feel more comfortable with other OCers around. 99% of the time now we dont have any issues with OCing, I haven seen a bad encounter with police in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by acrews View Post
    I'm a 19 year old male from Shelby Twp, and I really want to get into OC. However I'm not sure where to start. IE:Places that are OC friendly in Macomb County, what type of pistol/holster would be good for someone of my body type and age. 5'6" 220lbs. "yes I'm a bigger guy" Any info would be greatly appreciated, I have been lurking around here for a while and I really think it's time to take the plunge and get my feet wet.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
    Everyone's answered the first part, so I'll take on the 2nd. With regards to what type of pistol, that's pretty much up to you. Carry what you know. If you're used to semi-autos, then pick one with controls you're comfortable with.

The firearm is pretty much a personal choice. Some like Glocks, and then there are more distinguishing people who prefer something different. I've always leaned toward 1911 types. Although a grip safety is not totally necessary, the manual safety is. It's also important that all my handguns work the same, or nearly so. Up for safe, down to shoot on the safety lever.

For an OC holster, you'll want something with good retention. A lot of people like the Blackhawk Serpa. But any good retention holster should do.

Do you have a pistol already, or are you looking to buy one soon?
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Welcome aboard, Andrew! Your questions have been pretty much covered. I would reiterate the very good suggestion that before you OC alone, you should come to a get-together. A person new to OC and not having a CPL is generally at higher risk of getting in a legal jam. We can help you to significantly reduce that possibility.
    Last edited by DanM; 03-28-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

+1 to all replies!

Make sure you read and understand the laws before open carrying your pistol. The members here can only give advice, and it is up to you to know where you can and cannot carry.

Thank you for all the replies.
    As of right now I do have a pistol available to me, however it is not currently registered in my name ((working on having it put in my name)) It belongs to my father. It's a 9mm S&W, however I am looking into getting a new pistol for myself, something that is somewhat inexpensive for now as I am a poor college kid , I would eventually like to get my hands on a Sig P226. So if anyone could give me ideas on a somewhat cheap, yet reliable pistol that would be greatly appreciated. Also as far as retention holsters go do you recommend a Level 2 or 3?

On a side note:
    I've spoken with the Shelby Twp PD about OC and the consensus is they all support it 100% "out of the 8-10 officers I've spoken to", however the answers on weather or not they would stop me have varied. It has gone from if someone calls us we'll come out run the gun make sure it's not stolen, to I'm not going to stop you at all.
    Last edited by acrews; 03-28-2011 at 03:59 PM.

As of right now I do have a pistol available to me, however it is not currently registered in my name ((working on having it put in my name)) It belongs to my father. It's a 9mm S&W, however I am looking into getting a new pistol for myself, something that is somewhat inexpensive for now as I am a poor college kid , I would eventually like to get my hands on a Sig P226. So if anyone could give me ideas on a somewhat cheap, yet reliable pistol that would be greatly appreciated. Also as far as retention holsters go do you recommend a Level 2 or 3?

On a side note:
    I've spoken with the Shelby Twp PD about OC and the consensus is they all support it 100% "out of the 8-10 officers I've spoken to", however the answers on weather or not they would stop me have varied. It has gone from if someone calls us we'll come out run the gun make sure it's not stolen, to I'm not going to stop you at all.
    Define "cheap."

This one runs about $500.00, give or take. Actually, I think I paid $480.00 for this one. Yup, it was $480.00, INCLUDING the tax.

This one can vary between $250. and $320.00 depending on who you buy it from and whether it's made in Russia, East Germany, Bulgaria or China. This one is Bulgarian.

Still too expensive? There's always Hi-Point.
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 04-04-2011 at 12:39 PM.
    Big Gay Al

Buy the best firearm you can afford. Do not buy something cheap, though. Life's too valuable to bet on a cheap firearm, particularly a cheap auto.

I've gotten rid of pistols that I personally loved, but couldn't trust to be there for me 100% of the time. Come to think of it, its a lot like members of the opposite sex. Some are lovely to look at, lots of fun, but you can't be sure they'll be there when the going gets tough. There's nothing more dangerous than an unwarranted feeling of security.

I'm not a demagogue, I have several types and makes of sidearms, but I won't have two things in my house- an inaccurate weapon, and one that does not go 'bang' EVERY time I pull the trigger, unless I can attribute it to an error I made.

Stick with the 'higher end' manufacturers (OK, you can start flaming me now, but I'll remain firm). If you get a cheap sidearm, get one thats as heavy as possible, so you can still use it as a club when it jams / mis feeds / misfires. Plan on $500.

Secondhand can be an excellent choice, but take someone knowledgeable to help fully realize its condition. Some are Princesses that have not been fired much, but may have holster wear. Some gleam like jewels on the outside, but have had two lifetimes of rounds down the tube.

Some ranges have a selection of weapons you may try for a small fee; an excellent way to get a feel for different calibers / models / manufacturers.

All the ins and outs of selecting a used firearm could fill a number of books, but represent a significant savings over new. Some shops will let you fire a prospective used weapon, some won't. Make sure they have a warranty (at least 30 days), buy / beg / borrow as many different types of ammo in that caliber, and shoot, shoot, shoot in that warranty period.

Me personally, no warranty, no sale. Test firing is a plus, but not a deal breaker for me.

When you find a ammo that works (and weapons have preferences) practice with it and carry it. Also buy a good quantity of the worst stuff, preferably the one that jams / mis feeds / misfires. Why? Its also excellent for practice, so when a jam happens, clearing it will be instinct.

Personally, I won't carry anything less that a 40 cal, but if you can't physically handle the recoil, work with it anyway. What seems excessive to begin with becomes less intimidating with practice.

Make sure whatever you decide on that it fits your hand comfortably. Steel Magnolia doesn't like my Glock 27 or the Beretta 96, but handles a full size 45 1911 like a pro. It fits her hand better because of the magazine design (single stack vs double stack).

But, the most important thing is, 'the little pistol you carry is better than the big one you left home....'

Best of luck!
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Define "cheap."

This one runs about $500.00, give or take. Actually, I think I paid $480.00 for this one.

This one can vary between $250. and $320.00 depending on who you buy it from and whether it's made in Russia, East Germany, Bulgaria or China. This one is Bulgarian.

Still too expensive? There's always Hi-Point.
    I would really not rather get a hi-point after the things I've heard and read about them. So I guess my price range would be around $250 or so. Also here is another question say my father and I are out and he lets me OC his pistol while I'm with him would that be illegal since the firearm is technically not registered to me?

Also here is another question say my father and I are out and he lets me OC his pistol while I'm with him would that be illegal since the firearm is technically not registered to me?
    Nope, you can't do that.

MCL 28.422

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

(12) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol.

(b) The person is at a recognized target range or shooting facility.

(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a pistol.

(d) The owner of the pistol is physically present and supervising the use of the pistol.
    You would have to be at the range.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

My suggestion would be to use the S&W 9mm you have available to you (once it's registered in your name) and spend your money on a decent belt, holster, and self-defense ammo.

Since you're short on cash this would seem, to me, to be the most effective use of what limited funds you do have.

Bronson
    Last edited by Bronson; 03-29-2011 at 01:45 AM.
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

I would really not rather get a hi-point after the things I've heard and read about them. So I guess my price range would be around $250 or so. Also here is another question say my father and I are out and he lets me OC his pistol while I'm with him would that be illegal since the firearm is technically not registered to me?
    DO NOT confuse cheap with unreliable. I worked security in New Orleans after Katrina. There were a number of guys there working with me, who carried Hi-Point pistols. I watched those Hi-Points work while some (but not all) of the Glocks and Springfield XDs jammed.

My philosophy is this, you buy what you can afford. A Hi-Point today, beats having nothing at all. Generally, they are very reliable. And if you happen to get one that isn't, send it back to the factory, they'll fix it or replace it.

I believe you can still get 9mm Hi-Points for under $200.00. Your other alternative would be to find a nice used gun. Sometimes those are better, since they're already broken in.
    Big Gay Al

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

On a side note:
    Of course without PC this is an illegal seizure. They can't just run your gun. Do not agree to any search or seizer ever. You also don't have to give ID or your name.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

One other consideration- the less expensive weapons are less expensive for a reason, such as die cast / powdered metal / plastic bits & pieces.

It may look good, but will it stand up to the amount of punishment it needs to go through while you become proficient? I've seen a Bersa 380 literally snap the safety lever off during recoil after only a few boxes of ammo. I've seen ejectors snap off 45ACP Tauruses (or would that be Taurii?) after a few hundred rounds.

Either disabled the weapon, fortunately at the range, and not in the middle of a firefight. Failed weapon = dead shooter, or worse.

On the used front, I've seen many quality weapons that look like they had 8-10 rounds down the tube, and then spent the next few years in the sock drawer until the need for a few bucks comes up, and there you are, a nearly new (insert favorite manufacturer here) for far less than new.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    One other consideration- the less expensive weapons are less expensive for a reason, such as die cast / powdered metal / plastic bits & pieces.
    Sort of like....Glocks.
    Big Gay Al

Thank you all for the great tips I really do appreciate it a lot. I think as soon as I am able to I'm going to be looking into a hi-point 9mm or 40 S&W, I feel kinda bad asking my old man for his first gun My question is since I can't buy from a FFL and I have to buy through a private seller how hard would it be for me to obtain one that is new? Also since I am not yet 21 am I even able to purchase my own ammunition? I plan on OCing as much as possible this summer so I really want to start preparing now.

Thank you all for the great tips I really do appreciate it a lot. I think as soon as I am able to I'm going to be looking into a hi-point 9mm or 40 S&W, I feel kinda bad asking my old man for his first gun My question is since I can't buy from a FFL and I have to buy through a private seller how hard would it be for me to obtain one that is new? Also since I am not yet 21 am I even able to purchase my own ammunition? I plan on OCing as much as possible this summer so I really want to start preparing now.
    As long as you are legally able to own a firearm, you could receive one as a gift from your relatives. You'd still need a purchase permit, which would mean getting one from your local PD or sheriff's office. As for the ammunition, to make things easier, I'd say get a 9mm, that way you can use your father's ammo, and just give him money to "replace" what you use. If you get what I'm saying.

As for all the flak you're gonna get for buying a Hi-Point, just ignore it, and go visit the Hi-Point forums for moral support. The nice thing about a Hi-Point, when you run out of ammo, you can toss the gun at the bad guy, and probably do even worse damage.
    Big Gay Al

Sort of like....Glocks.
    Are you picking on my combat Tupperware?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    Are you picking on my combat Tupperware?
    Well, uh, Yeah!

Honestly, I just like to pick on Glocks "perceived" weaknesses. Everyone has their favorite, mine is the 1911. As far as Glocks go, I think I'd rather try a Springfield XD.
    Big Gay Al

Well, uh, Yeah!

Honestly, I just like to pick on Glocks "perceived" weaknesses. Everyone has their favorite, mine is the 1911. As far as Glocks go, I think I'd rather try a Springfield XD.
    I have an XDm and a gun range I am a member of in Dimondale. Get yourself a box of 9 mm, PM me, and we can arrange for a time for me to pick you up and go shooting with it...
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I have an XDm and a gun range I am a member of in Dimondale. Get yourself a box of 9 mm, PM me, and we can arrange for a time for me to pick you up and go shooting with it...
    Really? That would be great. I presume FMJ is ok?
    Big Gay Al

Really? That would be great. I presume FMJ is ok?
    I shoot the Winchester White box. 100 ct. is $24+tax at Meijers. FMJ is fine.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I shoot the Winchester White box. 100 ct. is $24+tax at Meijers. FMJ is fine.
    I have never seen ammo at Meijer. I'm in the Metro Detroit area. I did a search on their website and got nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast