Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia: Governor McDonnell Signs Four Bills

Virginia: Governor McDonnell Signs Four Bills

Four down two to go.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=6456

Can't wait until next legislative session for some real meat.

Yeah!

Not much!

But we are getting our rights back ;-)

Now for all states to allow class 3 weapons for all citizens to own with no tax stamps!

Thanks for posting
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 03-26-2011 at 10:46 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

The new laws are window dressing. With a pro2A government I expected more meat with the potatoes. Overall a disappointment and does not bode well for the future. Other states are passing by our state of Revolutionary liberty.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    The new laws are window dressing. With a pro2A government I expected more meat with the potatoes. Overall a disappointment and does not bode well for the future. Other states are passing by our state of Revolutionary liberty.
    +1
    McDonnell is not much of a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I agree with you but also agree with Philip that an election cycle needs to happen before we have the votes to pass the better bills.

There were less "quality" bills entered this session because of that so I am EXPECTING good things in the future. I hope I am not disappointed!!!

PS: I was disappointed with McDonald and the Cuch as to University carry, State Forrests. They could have stood up and voiced their constitutional grounds to correct those infringements but decided to lay low and play it safe for their political career. The State Parks opinion from McDonald was only a year late and felt like a small bone being thrown to us again for political reasons rather than showing backbone and leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    I agree with you but also agree with Philip that an election cycle needs to happen before we have the votes to pass the better bills.

There were less "quality" bills entered this session because of that so I am EXPECTING good things in the future. I hope I am not disappointed!!!

PS: I was disappointed with McDonald and the Cuch as to University carry, State Forrests. They could have stood up and voiced their constitutional grounds to correct those infringements but decided to lay low and play it safe for their political career. The State Parks opinion from McDonald was only a year late and felt like a small bone being thrown to us again for political reasons rather than showing backbone and leadership.
    You noticed the State Forest issue isn't over yet, didn't you?

I heard Flordia got the OPEN CARRY bill to through something, I forgot. Atlest it's moving somewhere.

But its only for CCW holders... On the good side if your gun prints you wont get charged with anything. Right now if your gun prints/shows you can get fined.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 03-27-2011 at 06:48 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    State Forest issue and the progress(?) thereon is 3 years old this month.

Meanwhile all of the other state agency issues are as cold as yesteday's ashes. Are we being sidetracked on this one question only to have the others lay dormant?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

+1
    McDonnell is not much of a friend.
    Small victorys are the most important...
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Yes that is why I listed it as a disappointment. It should have been cleared up at least a year ago if they had any backbone!

I may sound like a broken record, but now that the Democrat-controlled Senate has firmly established that there are absolutely no consequences when they break their own subcommittee rules, the forward progress of RKBA is quite literally dead in Virginia.

I have as much respect for Philip and the VCDL as the next guy, and probably even a tad bit more, but you simply can't fight cheating that is sanctioned by "the system" if you are committed to playing fair and legal.

The future of the RKBA movement in Virginia rests squarely on the next State elections.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I may sound like a broken record, but now that the Democrat-controlled Senate has firmly established that there are absolutely no consequences when they break their own subcommittee rules, the forward progress of RKBA is quite literally dead in Virginia.

I have as much respect for Philip and the VCDL as the next guy, and probably even a tad bit more, but you simply can't fight cheating that is sanctioned by "the system" if you are committed to playing fair and legal.

The future of the RKBA movement in Virginia rests squarely on the next State elections.

TFred
    You are the first to say it, to spell it out, TFred an I do not disagree.

Ask who is responsible for enforcing the rules and why they have not taken action. There is blame enough for both sides of the political isle.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

Ask who is responsible for enforcing the rules and why they have not taken action. There is blame enough for both sides of the political isle.

You might want to mention it to Lonesome Bill (Bolling).
    He could correct it in a heartbeat. He just won't.

Who is more responsible, the criminal who commits the crime, or the cop who won't arrest and charge?

Things that make you scratch your chin.

TFred

That one involving military orders referring to the Pentagon has always struck me as kind of nuts. What difference does it make where the post office is located that serves a particular address. The only basis for the confusion is that there are people who don't understand that the "city, state, zip" line of their mailing address is not THEIR location, but that of the post office that serves their location. What useless wheel-spinning.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

THAT is precisely the point - I just didn't want to be the only one to say so.

If you cannot maintain order and cause the rules to be followed, why would I trust you to do the right thing ever? At least with our espoused enemies, we know where they stand. With Bill, he isn't talking out of both sides of his mouth; he simply is not talking or doing anything - assuredly nothing noteworthy or of merit.

If there were anybody else running for dog catcher, I would have to consider voting for them.

...if you are committed to playing fair and legal.
    So don't.

The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

IMNSHO, in the fight for Liberty, there are no rules. It's just too damn important. The tyrants agree, they're already doing it. Being honorable does you no good if you keep losing. I'd rather be called a criminal, like all of the Founding Fathers, than see my children become slaves.
    Last edited by ixtow; 03-28-2011 at 01:28 PM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

TFred
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    So don't.

The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

IMNSHO, in the fight for Liberty, there are no rules. It's just too damn important. The tyrants agree, they're already doing it. Being honorable does you no good if you keep losing. I'd rather be called a criminal, like all of the Founding Fathers, than see my children become slaves.
    As this applies here, let us not lose sight of the fact that in general OCDO is not a political forum - it is specifically targeted and limited to OCDO and RKBA on a slightly lesser scale. The Social Forum is the only area where we can go so off tangent.

I would have said:

IMHO, in the fight for OC/RKBA there are rules. Rules are damned important. The antis disagree, some are already without honor and are breaking the rules. Being honorable does a lot of good (we are winning utilizing that condition) in that such holds us to a higher standard of truth and credibility. I'd rather not be a criminal - that will benefit neither myself nor my children. Meanwhile I shall teach my children and my grandchildren the meaning of Honor, Duty and Fidelity - concepts not lost on the Founding Fathers -

I work to see that the results are improved w/o such extremes as to that which some allude.

VCDL President rebuts Henry Marsh's lies

TFred
    See Phil's letter to the Times-Dispatch:

Senate Democrats sought to curb rights

The hypocrisy in Sen. Henry Marsh's Letter to the Editor, "Voters will decide who best represents state," was jaw-dropping. He claims that under the control of Democratic leadership, they "protect(ed) citizens' rights."

Oh, really? What about the citizens' right to keep and bear arms? Last year the Democratic-controlled Senate intentionally broke the Senate's own rules to create an ad hoc subcommittee stacked with anti-freedom senators whose mandate was to kill a series of pro-gun bills that had passed the House. These were bills that strengthened and protected the right of Virginians to be able to protect themselves. The rule-breaking and stacked subcommittee were proudly admitted to by the Democratic leadership.

Protecting a citizen's rights? Not by a very long shot.

Philip Van Cleave.
    Midlothian.

No doubt that Marsh is peacock-proud of the fact that they figured out a way to defy the will of the people.

Here is the link to the letter that Philip makes reference to.

Makes an honest citizen want to puke.

TFred

No doubt that Marsh is peacock-proud of the fact that they figured out a way to defy the will of the people.

TFred
    This session Marsh was Doddering around like he was on his last legs. Maybe by next session we'll only have to contend with Saslaw.

"Our Image ..."

TFred
    But, but ....

Our image ... is at stake.

Do we really want to be imagined as a moderate state? Please.

What would our first Governor think?

Everybody worked soooo hard, but the BB Gun bill still hasn't been signed. Damn it!!

2 years in a row the Dems have cleaned the clocks of gun rights advocates.

Sad when all we can do is say "wait 'till next year" again.

I would have to say that our gun rights have not prospered since guvna timmy left. McD and the Cooch really haven't stepped up to the plate.

How many screwed by the cooch threads do we need before we wake up and smell the coffee? Wake up Virginia. Constitutional Carry and the Virginia Firearms Freedom Act have not been given a fair hearing in the Commonwealth's legislative system. The NRA sure isn't going to help us. VCDL tries, but considers P4P to be a restoration of rights and expends significant energy there.

Open carry picketing is what we need. In Richmond in front of the Legislature,the Governor's Office andState Attorney General's Office, in front of both the Republican and Democrat party offices and in Northern Virginia in front of the God %a@# NRA building.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

I have to vent

TFred
    But, but , but TFred, remember last July 1 VCDL had huge parties where VCDL celebrated the great victory that was earned. Cakes proclaiming the restoration of firearms rights were offered by VCDL at these victory celebrations.

In truth restaurant carry was just P4P scraps from the table.

Philip writes now about the injustice that was done to the Commonwealth, but it is in all honest truth, too little too late.

Many democrat party candidates will claim that they supported restaurant carry. Most will even get away with it.

The injustice that was done to the entire legislative process as well as gun rights should be a constant and loud drum beat as we go about our daily lives in the Commonwealth. Nobody wants to fight the really ugly fights in Richmond except for the Libertarians and the Tea Party candidates.

The Commonwealth is but a mere shell of what it once was, and as the scum from Md. continue to infest Northern VA our ability to ensure real freedom becomes less likely each day.

Years from now we will remember our hey day when we stood up to the Norfolk PD and City Council, when we had a massive rally at lobby day and when OCDO could talk about...

Sorry for the rant.

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    ...Philip writes now about the injustice that was done to the Commonwealth, but it is in all honest truth, too little too late....
    Thundar I think that many if not most here share your frustration. I keep pushing VCDL to come at it from the top down (constitutional carry) vs bottom up (fixing bad laws a piece at a time). I understood that the current mix of legislatures made it unlikely that many good bills would be advanced this year. We knew that last year since the election was so far off. Unless someone had the backbone to impeach the people in the senate breaking rules our advances had to wait for a better mix.

So an election cycle comes up this year with evidence that no blood ran in the streets with the measley changes we accomplished over the last years along with other states leading the way to provide out of state evidence that supports our existing arguments.

I am all for pushing for everything but am realistic enough to celebrate small victories. I am willing to wait and see if we can advance 2A right restoration next year. IF THAT FAILS we need to regroup and see what better methods are available. I do trust the leadership of VCDL and hope in VA as well as the nation that we can advance what is right via the ballot box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast