• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stained my 1911

Dreamer

will it harm the bore or any other metal parts in the gun?

It will strip off ANY finish, except enamel, and maybe DuraCoat.

If the barrel is stainless, and he doesn't leave it on to long, it shouldn't hurt the bore. I've used it on stainless-steel cookware (cookie sheets and frying pans) with no ill effect. But like I said, it will strop off bluing, parkerizing, anodizing, and most paint finishes...

But if you wash it off with LOTS of warm, soapy water, and then clean it with regular gun cleaner, it shouldn't be an issue, when contacting other parts...

1245A Defender

well,,,

tried the oven cleaner and let it sit for a few hours, none of the bronze color came off :(

you said the barrel had been black, but ill bet the shiny parts were still shiny, huh!
your barrel was probably black nitrate coated after heat treat, and then finish ground.
i think your first cleaning bleached out the "black", which is just a dye color, the nitrate is the brown.

hvtopiwala

well like part of the barrel was black and some of it was still silver (same with a lot of parts on the gun...they were partly silver and also partly black so im assuming its just caked on gun powder that isnt coming off lol

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Looks like you had some copper solvent in whatever you were using and leached the copper out of the bronze brush and it settled onto the metal parts. Using copper solvent on a rag may take the discoloring off without changing the bluing, but then again may not.

Besides trying to get the copper off the parts I'd suggest that you stop scrubbing your parts so hard.

stay safe.

cbpeck

In the past I have used liquid Bar Keepers Friend to remove spots of small rust and/or oxidation from the exterior of 1911 barrels. It is slightly abrasive, so I use it sparingly, and only wipe it in the same direction as the brushed barrel finish. Afterward I rinse thoroughly with tap water and then dry thoroughly. It has worked well for me in the past.

Of course, if you choose to try this you do so at your own risk. :p

Dreamer

To the OP:

You know, with all the time and money you've spent on various cleaning products, you probably could have bought a brand-new stainless steel barrel. Problem solved.

Just sayin'...

Last edited:

TOF

I have never allowed my pistol barrels to get to the point where a wire brush was required for the exterior surfaces. It is mind boggling to think that happened.

I am betting you have removed a purposeful coating.

A lot of scrubing with steel wool or other means might take it to a white metal finish but your two tone style is gone.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Regular Hoppes 9 works on metal fouling, both lead (well) and to a lesser extent, copper. Combined with a copper brush on the outside of the barrel, a bit leached into the solution, then combined with one of the more reactive metals in the finish, possibly exposed iron from a poorly kept weapon (previous owner; I read the OP)

Try Hoppes Bench Rest 9 Copper Solvent, and with a fine-wire stainless or simple plastic brush. Shouldn't really need any scrubbing; just a bit rubbing in. Then, let it soak overnight.

If that doesn't work, and assuming your finish is ruined anyway, a weak solution of H2SO4 (try a pool supply place, tell 'em you need just a bit of it), rubbed on exterior surface with a cotton ball (use gloves; the stuff is potent), should strip it. Rinse it off with water, then immediately clean and dry your firearm. Don't use it in the barrel, though, or on any of the internal parts of the firearm, as if left on too long, it pitts.

Can't help you with refinishing it, but another put out some links which looked good. That's my jackleg approach.