Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun-rights advocates seek to mainstream carrying in public - Richmond Times Dispatch

Gun-rights advocates seek to mainstream carrying in public - Richmond Times Dispatch

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/s...m-c-ar-930673/

Malcolm Patterson bristles at the thought of gun owners openly carrying weapons into Pocahontas State Park, where his young sons were running around on a playground.

Philip Van Cleave, president of the pro-gun Virginia Citizens Defense League Inc., said he should be able to take a gun with him everywhere he goes, with the exception of courtrooms, prisons and secured areas of airports. He shouldn't have to think about where he is allowed to take his weapon and where he can't, he said. He wears a gun to run errands at Wal-Mart, to pick up groceries at Food Lion or to go out to dinner with his wife — just in case.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    "In Virginia, with a growing urban population, vast regional differences in feelings toward guns have developed. In Arlington, Bennett said, guns are "viewed with horror and suspicion," whereas, in Southside, "virtually everyone owns a gun, and many people carry them."

Gee, anyone want to advance a guess as to why Arlington might be like this, hmm? Can we spell, "demographics"?
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    "In Virginia, with a growing urban population, vast regional differences in feelings toward guns have developed. In Arlington, Bennett said, guns are "viewed with horror and suspicion," whereas, in Southside, "virtually everyone owns a gun, and many people carry them."

Damn Skippy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee, anyone want to advance a guess as to why Arlington might be like this, hmm? Can we spell, "demographics"?

Carpetbagging Yankees! Give it to Mary Land.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Re: Give it to Mary Land.

OK, but I want WVa back in the deal.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Re: Give it to Mary Land.

OK, but I want WVa back in the deal.
    WV deserted Grape. Granted, they had reason enough....but I'm still having trouble forgiving my mountain Brothers for grabbing the bagel.

Not too bad an article. Not but so slanted. At least there are quotes from both sides of the issue. Hopefully, the reader will be able to discern the illogic of the anti's feelings and the logic of the pro's facts.
    I don't see how anyone can disagree with the right to protect one's self and one's family by any means possible.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    Not too bad an article. Not but so slanted. At least there are quotes from both sides of the issue. Hopefully, the reader will be able to discern the illogic of the anti's feelings and the logic of the pro's facts.

I don't see how anyone can disagree with the right to protect one's self and one's family by any means possible.
    By way of projections of their own ill-intentions, persuasions, and temptations.
    Last edited by Curtis; 03-27-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    How could anyone vote for Obama. How could anyone agree with Airport scanners. How could anyone like nearbeer.

I think it should be anywhere, without exception. In a courtroom, not only in an airport, but on an airplane. Anywhere, a right is a right except when it isn't allowed by the government.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    My wife, father-in-law and daughter think Obama is doing a great job.
    Are they zombies?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

WV deserted Grape. Granted, they had reason enough....but I'm still having trouble forgiving my mountain Brothers for grabbing the bagel.
    So which would you prefer, Arlington or WVa? Heck by golly, in Arlington you can't even tell who's related.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Lots of really negative comments on the RTD article. And the negative comments seemed to have the most "thumbs up" indications of agreement.

It is distressing that some members of our polite society think open carriers are "playing cowboy" or "playing policeman", or that OC is designed to "intimidate and cow the public".

I was also distressed that one commenter did not want anyone armed coming to the aid of someone suffering at the hands of a criminal (re: the Tucscon shooting).

I am perplexed by the irrational fear of firearms evinced by some commentors and their absolute fear of an openly carried firearm by a person behaving lawfully.
    Last edited by doug23838; 03-27-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Are they Yankees?

If Obama's goal is to cause as much damage to the economy as possible, then Obama AND CONGRESS are doing a great job!
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

As someone who grew up in WV, and who's mother was a WV Golden Horseshoe winner (and therefore, I had WV history pounded into my head from a VERY early age), I must take exception with this claim...

Actually, WV was created by the Union government, in DIRECT violation of the US Constitution, Article IV, Section 3:

Section. 3.New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
    The people of WV had nothing to say in the matter. In fact, most residents of what is now WV didn't care one wit about the Civil War. They were, for the most part, loggers and small-scale farmers--there were no plantations to speak of in WV, and very little industry.

Statehood was forced on them by the Union, because of strategic, geographic reasons.

Just wanted to clear that up...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 03-27-2011 at 11:01 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Wow. So many commenters getting themselves worked up into a lather over nothing. The overly emotional tripe thrown about by these anti's make you wonder how many of them are in need of psychological help.

Bennett called that logic "ludicrous," saying data show that people who attempt to use their guns to thwart crime overwhelmingly end up being harmed or harming other innocent people.
    Are there any documented cases of this? Let alone "overwhelming" numbers...?

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    As someone who grew up in WV, and who's mother was a WV Golden Horseshoe winner (and therefore, I had WV history pounded into my head from a VERY early age), I must take exception with this claim...

Actually, WV was created by the Union government, in DIRECT violation of the US Constitution, Article IV, Section 3:

The people of WV had nothing to say in the matter. In fact, most residents of what is now WV didn't care one wit about the Civil War. They were, for the most part, loggers and small-scale farmers--there were no plantations to speak of in WV, and very little industry.

Statehood was forced on them by the Union, because of strategic, geographic reasons.

Just wanted to clear that up...
    They should have gone a little further in depth when they gave you a history lesson.

WV when still the mountains of Va (My part of the country) was being ignored by the Va legislature and they felt they weren't getting a fair shake. The truth is, none of the mountain people were but my part surrounded the Shenandoah Valley so we had more say.

WV did indeed split in direct violation to the Constitution, but there were some twists and word games to allow it. The Wheeling conventions if memory serves me. The people in WV did have a very BIG say in it and went along with the North in order to get more control over their own well being.
    That decision didn't work out too well since the Yankees didn't treat them any better than Va. did.

None of the mountain people had Plantations including us...but we fought on the right side nonetheless because the War of Northern Aggression was about a hell of a lot more than Slavery.
    Last edited by peter nap; 03-27-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    So which would you prefer, Arlington or WVa?
    West Virginia any day!

Heck by golly, in Arlington you can't even tell who's related.
    You haven't been to any of the Mexican neighborhoods...have you?

Scared Virginians

You never know. There's a lot of crazies out there.

-- Michelle Patterson, Hoplophobe

Matt Bennett is a Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Are there any documented cases of this? Let alone "overwhelming" numbers...?

TFred
    Since Bennett seems to like background checks, do one on him. See what turns up, like this:

Gun debate heads to Hill

"If someone purchases a gun legally, there is very little a federal law could do to have an impact," Matt Bennett of Third Way, a moderate think tank, said. The advocacy group includes several former members of Americans for Gun Safety, which fought for stricter gun laws in the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Since Bennett seems to like background checks, do one on him. See what turns up, like this:

Gun debate heads to Hill
    I despise articles that do not contain a date of publication somewhere.

No way of telling how new or old it might be.

Exclamation It's in the article URL

2011/01/10

January 10, 2011.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    2011/01/10

January 10, 2011.
    Date of that the article was written/published is not in the piece to which I was responding:

Gun debate heads to Hill

In any event there are those undated, and I still despise them.

Question Gun Debate Heads To Hill

http://www.congress.org/news/2011/01/10/gun_debate_heads_to_hill

To what other article are you referring?
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast