• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun-rights advocates seek to mainstream carrying in public - Richmond Times Dispatch

curtiswr

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...hts-advocates-seek-to-mainstream-c-ar-930673/

Malcolm Patterson bristles at the thought of gun owners openly carrying weapons into Pocahontas State Park, where his young sons were running around on a playground.

Philip Van Cleave, president of the pro-gun Virginia Citizens Defense League Inc., said he should be able to take a gun with him everywhere he goes, with the exception of courtrooms, prisons and secured areas of airports. He shouldn't have to think about where he is allowed to take his weapon and where he can't, he said. He wears a gun to run errands at Wal-Mart, to pick up groceries at Food Lion or to go out to dinner with his wife — just in case.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
"In Virginia, with a growing urban population, vast regional differences in feelings toward guns have developed. In Arlington, Bennett said, guns are "viewed with horror and suspicion," whereas, in Southside, "virtually everyone owns a gun, and many people carry them."

Gee, anyone want to advance a guess as to why Arlington might be like this, hmm? Can we spell, "demographics"?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
"In Virginia, with a growing urban population, vast regional differences in feelings toward guns have developed. In Arlington, Bennett said, guns are "viewed with horror and suspicion," whereas, in Southside, "virtually everyone owns a gun, and many people carry them."

Damn Skippy!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana::lol::monkey:lol:

Gee, anyone want to advance a guess as to why Arlington might be like this, hmm? Can we spell, "demographics"?

Carpetbagging Yankees! Give it to Mary Land.

riverrat10k

Not too bad an article. Not but so slanted. At least there are quotes from both sides of the issue. Hopefully, the reader will be able to discern the illogic of the anti's feelings and the logic of the pro's facts.
I don't see how anyone can disagree with the right to protect one's self and one's family by any means possible.

curtiswr

Not too bad an article. Not but so slanted. At least there are quotes from both sides of the issue. Hopefully, the reader will be able to discern the illogic of the anti's feelings and the logic of the pro's facts.

I don't see how anyone can disagree with the right to protect one's self and one's family by any means possible.

By way of projections of their own ill-intentions, persuasions, and temptations.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

How could anyone vote for Obama. How could anyone agree with Airport scanners. How could anyone like nearbeer.:uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
WV deserted Grape. Granted, they had reason enough....but I'm still having trouble forgiving my mountain Brothers for grabbing the bagel.

So which would you prefer, Arlington or WVa? Heck by golly, in Arlington you can't even tell who's related. :uhoh:

doug23838

Lots of really negative comments on the RTD article. And the negative comments seemed to have the most "thumbs up" indications of agreement.

It is distressing that some members of our polite society think open carriers are "playing cowboy" or "playing policeman", or that OC is designed to "intimidate and cow the public".

I was also distressed that one commenter did not want anyone armed coming to the aid of someone suffering at the hands of a criminal (re: the Tucscon shooting).

I am perplexed by the irrational fear of firearms evinced by some commentors and their absolute fear of an openly carried firearm by a person behaving lawfully.

Last edited:

Dreamer

WV deserted Grape. Granted, they had reason enough....but I'm still having trouble forgiving my mountain Brothers for grabbing the bagel.

As someone who grew up in WV, and who's mother was a WV Golden Horseshoe winner (and therefore, I had WV history pounded into my head from a VERY early age), I must take exception with this claim...

Actually, WV was created by the Union government, in DIRECT violation of the US Constitution, Article IV, Section 3:

Section. 3.New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
The people of WV had nothing to say in the matter. In fact, most residents of what is now WV didn't care one wit about the Civil War. They were, for the most part, loggers and small-scale farmers--there were no plantations to speak of in WV, and very little industry.

Statehood was forced on them by the Union, because of strategic, geographic reasons.

Just wanted to clear that up...

Last edited:

bom1911

Wow. So many commenters getting themselves worked up into a lather over nothing. The overly emotional tripe thrown about by these anti's make you wonder how many of them are in need of psychological help.

TFred

Bennett called that logic "ludicrous," saying data show that people who attempt to use their guns to thwart crime overwhelmingly end up being harmed or harming other innocent people.
Are there any documented cases of this? Let alone "overwhelming" numbers...?

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As someone who grew up in WV, and who's mother was a WV Golden Horseshoe winner (and therefore, I had WV history pounded into my head from a VERY early age), I must take exception with this claim...

Actually, WV was created by the Union government, in DIRECT violation of the US Constitution, Article IV, Section 3:

The people of WV had nothing to say in the matter. In fact, most residents of what is now WV didn't care one wit about the Civil War. They were, for the most part, loggers and small-scale farmers--there were no plantations to speak of in WV, and very little industry.

Statehood was forced on them by the Union, because of strategic, geographic reasons.

Just wanted to clear that up...

They should have gone a little further in depth when they gave you a history lesson.

WV when still the mountains of Va (My part of the country) was being ignored by the Va legislature and they felt they weren't getting a fair shake. The truth is, none of the mountain people were but my part surrounded the Shenandoah Valley so we had more say.

WV did indeed split in direct violation to the Constitution, but there were some twists and word games to allow it. The Wheeling conventions if memory serves me. The people in WV did have a very BIG say in it and went along with the North in order to get more control over their own well being.
That decision didn't work out too well since the Yankees didn't treat them any better than Va. did.

None of the mountain people had Plantations including us...but we fought on the right side nonetheless because the War of Northern Aggression was about a hell of a lot more than Slavery.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So which would you prefer, Arlington or WVa?
West Virginia any day!

Heck by golly, in Arlington you can't even tell who's related. :uhoh:
You haven't been to any of the Mexican neighborhoods...have you?:lol::lol: