• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help defining areas off limits to carry

Fabricator

Howdy all,

As I was dropping my garbage off at my local compactor site in North Hall Co., (Near Wauka Mtn. school) ,I wondered if that was considered an "off-limits" location for carry. It is an outdoor compactor site with nothing that could be construed as a building, other than a 8' X 12' shed roof over the actual compactor chute. Likewise, the larger "recycling center" in downtown Gainesville has "real buildings" that I have to go into as part of my business. These buildings house the sorting operations of the waste collected in the recycling bins, and are staffed by 20+ convicts, and 2-3 "guards". Are these locations considered "government buildings" since they are operated by a division of the localgovt? (Department is "resource recovery" FWIW)

See clip from lexis nexis:

(3) "Government building" means:

(A) The building in which a government entity is housed;

(B) The building where a government entity meets in its official capacity; provided, however, that if such building is not a publicly owned building, such building shall be considered a government building for the purposes of this Code section only during the time such government entity is meeting at such building; or

(C) The portion of any building that is not a publicly owned building that is occupied by a government entity.

(4) "Government entity" means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state.

(5) "Parking facility" means real property owned or leased by a government entity, courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar that has been designated by such government entity, courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar for the parking of motor vehicles at a government building or at such courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar.

Link clip came from: http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/Default.asp

Lastly, am I missing something, or is "Lexis nexis" behind the times of current legislation???

Thanks in advance,

Fabricator

aadvark

Fabricator:

The Parking Lot is OK, so as long as The Firearm is in a Motor Vehicle.

Georgia Law 16-11-127(d)(2), provides an Additional Exception.

Georgia Law does Define Government Buildings, BUT The Definition is UNCLEAR.

aadvark

Fabricator

Thanks; thats in line with what I suspected; however the ambiguity of the law makes interpretation subjective... Maybe after 4-8-11 things will improve...

Fabricator

PS: The date referenced was in regards to SB 98 FWIW

Last edited:

aadvark

Fabricator:

Senate Bill 98 has Stalled, again.

Hearings were Conducted, twice, but these were ONLY Hearings.

Please Call Timothy Beardens' Office!

aadvark