• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tri Cities Community Service

Freedom First

OC Meetup!?! Tri Cities Range Cleanup SUNDAY

::Changed to Sunday the 3rd 8am to noon!!! I'll probably go tomorrow even if there is a bit o rain...::

Well guys, there is a 71 year old man making us shooters look bad. He jumped right into cleaning up the Owens Road mess ALL BY HIMSELF.

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2011/03/26/1423966/pasco-man-cleaning-up-other-peoples.html

Before I read the Herald yesterday I took a couple of my kids out there for a recon by pickup. Here’s some pictures of the wreckage as it appeared then.

Pictures

I would like to set up an OC/RKBA meetup for next weekend to bring lots of hands and more than a couple pickups to the task at hand. I have called Mr. Mitchell, the hard working 71 year old man, about my (hopefully our) desire to help. I’ve never shot out there but I might someday and I would like it to remain open for the rest of us non-slobs.

So, 8am to noon on Saturday April 2nd, let’s make our presence known here in the Tri Cities in an entirely positive way. Sorry for the short notice but I hate to think of him out there daily. Me and my Boy will be there!

My plan is to fill our pickup and use our Waste Management dump trip to empty it. I'm also gonna call them this week and see if we can dump free that day if it's range junk. Anyone know people at Griggs and/or Ranch and Home? Maybe they could sponsor some help or airtime since alot of the ammo our there is from their stores...

Mark
Freedom.First.1775@gmail.com

Last edited:

DevinWKuska

Wow those pictures are just insane! What kind of lazy bums would go shooting and leave a mess like that? Even when I go shooting out in the boon docks I do my best to cleanup... wow!

scootter31

I'd like to help, but I have to work Saturday. Any possibility of moving this to Sunday?

Freedom First

Wow those pictures are just insane! What kind of lazy bums would go shooting and leave a mess like that? Even when I go shooting out in the boon docks I do my best to cleanup... wow!

Lazy messy bums. :banghead:

Ya know, it's only a four hour drive from Spanaway... Three if you hurry and miss LEO... :D

Last edited:

Freedom First

Hey, I'm easy.

I'd like to help, but I have to work Saturday. Any possibility of moving this to Sunday?

Scootter, I will be there tonight if the rain stops. 5-6pm. Gonna actually do a bit of shooting after filling the truck with mess. Just look for the old yellow Ford.

If you want to come on Sunday you should and I will try to be there as well as your is the only other response I have gotten to this thread. I was actually hoping to push this out a week if that will help others be willing to get involved. Any takers?

I think it's important that the RKBA folks be willing to stand up and be a positive force in the eyes of the normal folks. The bad press regarding Owens Road covers ALL shooters, including OCers even if we're innocent. :uhoh:

scootter31

Well then, Sunday 8AM - noon. Did I just cause a major downpour Sunday morning?

Come on folks, get out and do some good. Look at the up side, you will get some exercise and get to meet ME. :p

Oh, if we could push this to next Sunday, even better for me.

Last edited:

amzbrady

I dont know if I'm going to have Thurs or Friday off. I hauled a trash bag out today, and plan on going back to get another bags worth. This is one of the best places to shoot I have ever seen. Plenty of room for everyone to spread out. I'll post when I find out to see if someone wants to meet up, I have a bunch of 9mm and 22LR to have some fun with.

Nivek

Would love to attend, and I DO have the day off, but other than a street name, I have no idea where this place is. Somebody have a map link, or at least the name of a nearby town so I can google it?

...nevermind, I found it. Not sure I want to be up at 3AM on a Sunday though. If only it were closer :(

Last edited:

cbpeck

I'm gonna be out of town this weekend, as Freedom First already knows... I'll do my best to be available the following weekend in event that y'all don't have it all cleaned up already.

I'll also pass this thread on to a few friends in the area.

Freedom First

amz,

I'll be out there for sure on Sunday and probably a while tomorrow. I don't work here in town much so it'll be rare that I can make a lunchtime shootfest.

Be safe!

El Bumpus...:eek:

Freedom First

Saturday

Had a good morning filling the truck with range refuse, shooting and going to the dump. I got to practice live fire drawstroke from my Serpa and did fairly well.

The wind was pretty lame at 20-30mph the whole time but it was a good time to teach my boy on shooting in a crosswind. He caught right on and was shooting well by the end.

We discovered a great range tool: old fire extinguisher... At 100 yards you can hear it ring like a bell when you hit it with a .22LR and a 5.56 really makes a whack sound. I'm gonna talk to a customer of mine and see if they have a few old ones I can transform into range toys.

I met Chuck, the 71 year old guy who has been working on the mess for a couple weeks now, and we had a good talk about the site. More to follow.

I'll be out tomorrow to grab another pile between 8 and 9. Any help would be great!

Freedom First

Thanks to Scootter for showing up and helping this morning! :banana:

We cleaned up another site and then I went back to the site we cleaned up yesterday to shoot there. Jeeze. Some dork brought some junk and shot it up and of course left it a mess... So, me and the girl picked up after them. Lame.

I took my daughter up to Jump Off Joe to see the entire Tri Cities from above and to get a close up on one of the big windmills. She was thrilled and we had a great time.

amzbrady

Thanks to Scootter for showing up and helping this morning! :banana:

We cleaned up another site and then I went back to the site we cleaned up yesterday to shoot there. Jeeze. Some dork brought some junk and shot it up and of course left it a mess... So, me and the girl picked up after them. Lame.

I took my daughter up to Jump Off Joe to see the entire Tri Cities from above and to get a close up on one of the big windmills. She was thrilled and we had a great time.

I dont have much room in my trunk, but I try to take a garbage bag full, away each time I go there. I didnt know you could get right up next to the wind mills. We need to explore out there a little more. It's nice to have such an awesome place to shoot.

Capn Camo

let me know when the next cleanup is scheduled, sounds like a good community service thing. a_patriot@ymail.com

PS I just emailed someone who should be in the know.. and if it might mean having a place to shoot, ill consider springing for a roll off if thats OK with the owner.

Last edited:

Capn Camo

Heres the reply from someone in a position to know (which aint me...):

"Kennewick General hospital district is legal owner.

But no controls. I know of 4 hits and more close calls than combat Zone. I do not want any part of it until there are ranges and "some rules"

As it is, people shoot across hills ( really little berms) and can't see who or what is on other side.

Went there one day several years ago. was shooting into a hillside and somebody at 90 degrees was shooting right over me.

I got out there and haven't been back.

The liability is on the shooter and the hittee."

(from someone with combat experience to know how dangerous a "combat zone" is...)

Anyway, the owner is KGHD. Its bad form, and potentialy illegal to shoot or do anything else there without the owners permission, after all, it is private property. that no one says anything doesnt change the ownership or laws regarding trespass.

For a mass-cleanup (which apparently is whats needed, a dozen or more people and a day??) it would be necessary to "close" the area so theres no stray fire. I dont want to have to wear a BP vest to clean up trash!!

Last edited: