• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

we still need to fight for constitution carry....

Hiredgun30

Idaho: Campus Carry Legislation Defeated Because Three “Pro-Gun” Legislators Voted “No”

Last Friday, the Senate State Affairs Committee voted to effectively defeat House Bill 222 by a 3 to 6 vote. This unfortunate outcome happened because three incumbents, who were previously A-rated and endorsed by the NRA Political Victory Fund in 2010, broke their promise on this issue.

All three Senators -- Brent Hill, John McGee and Chuck Winder -- indicated in their responses to our 2010 candidate questionnaire, that they would support this self-defense legislation. Our ratings and endorsements of them last year were based on their responses to our state candidate questionnaire as well as their previous legislative voting records.

This important self-defense legislation would have allowed for the lawful carry of a firearm on a college or university campus for self-defense, as long as the individual is not restricted from legally carrying a firearm by any state or federal law. While this bill would also grant authority to a college and university to restrict firearms in undergraduate housing, its opponents argued that law-abiding permit holders cannot be trusted to carry a firearm on campus.

Below are the names and contact information for these three state Senators. Contact them TODAY and let them know how disappointed you are that they did not stand up for gun owners and the Constitution.

Senator Brent Hill (R-34)
BHill@senate.idaho.gov
(208) 332-1300

Senator John McGee (R-10)
JMcGee@senate.idaho.gov
(208) 332-1304

Senator Chuck Winder (R-14)
CWinder@senate.idaho.gov
(208) 332-1354

Hiredgun30

Thank you for your email regarding gun policy in the state of Idaho. The guns on campus bill, H0222, was heard in Senate State Affairs committee this morning and I listened to thoughtful, informative public testimony on both sides of the issue. There was enough doubt raised about the bill that a motion was made to amend it, but the committee did not think that it would be productive at this point in the session and voted 6-3 against the motion. The bill will not move forward to the Senate floor.

The bill that would allow for carrying a gun without a permit, S1126, remains in the Senate State Affairs committee and the chairman has not put it on the committee agenda.

Thanks again for your comments on these important issues.

Michelle Stennett
Idaho State Senate, District 25
Minority Caucus Chair

P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0081
(208) 332-1353
Fax (208) 334-2116
mstennett@senate.idaho.gov

ecocks

Thanks for the info. None were my legislators but, hopefully, the NRA will significantly lower their rating due to their self-serving profession of support before the fact. The truth is in the doing not the talking about it

This aggravates me considerably. I'm still carrying everyday in my business without a single negative word having been said. On the other hand, I've had a dozen or more sincere questions as to why I carry, why a S&W instead of a Glock or Springfield, that sort of thing. Police are in my place all the time for the good food, 5 today, 4 on Thursday evening and probably another half-dozen in the first part of the week. Maybe twice they have asked about what I carry, no concerns over why to date.

I've had 4-5 customers do the OC discount (15%) in the last 10 days and (I think) 3 who showed their CWL for their discount (10%). They get their discount chat a bit and move on. a couple indicate they are thinking about coming to the meeting on the 11th for some good BBQ and chit-chat.

silver

What resturant do you operate ecocks? i noticed another post about your business being featured in the business review but was not able to find the column.
Love the discounts for OC and CC too... i just might have to come on in when i get back from school this summer :lol:

EDIT: oops never mind i found plenty of references in other threads. See you in wild bills sometime this summer!

Last edited:

DCR

Sheriffs, Chiefs of Police, and control-freak Mayors and legislators are the problem-

Sorry, folks, but it's the truth. The Idaho Sheriff's Association, various law-enforcement lobbyists (yes, our taxpayer dollars are going to all of them), Mayors' associations, and...wait for it...our supermajority party Republican legislators...are the problem. They all worked against it and kept it in the committee chairman's drawer until public pressure forced him to release it, but it was doomed to failure anyway because of the lobbying done by the wonderful folks I've mentioned above - it was never going to make it out of the committee because of the lobbying by the people Idaho has been voting for so mindlessly.

Still think voting Republican is your best option here? Your Republican Sheriffs, Mayors and legislators killed the bill.

Start questioning candidates now about how they'd vote (if they're legislators), and whether they'd support their Sheriff/Chiefs/LEO/Mayors' organization's solid positions against Constitutional Carry.

We've got to stop thinking that voting only one party will ensure our firearms rights - the Republicans have been in unbeatable control of this state for over 20 years, talk the talk of being pro-gun, and get great grades from the NRA, yet keep voting against our firearms rights and let their organizations, also populated almost exclusively by Republican members, take policy positions and lobby against our rights.

Stop the madness, protect your rights. Question them on the subject. Get commitments orally or in writing from them on all aspects of firearm rights. If they refuse (or backslide, as all Republican officeholders have for the last 20 years), stop voting for them. Pretty simple.

Last edited:

ISRAEL

Sorry, folks, but it's the truth. The Idaho Sheriff's Association, various law-enforcement lobbyists (yes, our taxpayer dollars are going to all of them), Mayors' associations, and...wait for it...our supermajority party Republican legislators...are the problem. They all worked against it and kept it in the committee chairman's drawer until public pressure forced him to release it, but it was doomed to failure anyway because of the lobbying done by the wonderful folks I've mentioned above - it was never going to make it out of the committee because of the lobbying by the people Idaho has been voting for so mindlessly.

Still think voting Republican is your best option here? Your Republican Sheriffs, Mayors and legislators killed the bill.

Start questioning candidates now about how they'd vote (if they're legislators), and whether they'd support their Sheriff/Chiefs/LEO/Mayors' organization's solid positions against Constitutional Carry.

We've got to stop thinking that voting only one party will ensure our firearms rights - the Republicans have been in unbeatable control of this state for over 20 years, talk the talk of being pro-gun, and get great grades from the NRA, yet keep voting against our firearms rights and let their organizations, also populated almost exclusively by Republican members, take policy positions and lobby against our rights.

Stop the madness, protect your rights. Question them on the subject. Get commitments orally or in writing from them on all aspects of firearm rights. If they refuse (or backslide, as all Republican officeholders have for the last 20 years), stop voting for them. Pretty simple.

What can I do ? I thought that being Republican was the way to go, Thanks for openning my eyes,

silver

It certainly is more the direction we want to go than (most) democrats, but still it is not perfect, or even moderately desirable really. What we need to do is let our politicians know what the people want and not let them get away with cheating, lying and hypocrisy. Only when politicians know that their careers will be damaged if they deny the will of the people, then will they adjust their actions.

For each minute your consider voting for a candidate spend 60 researching his political history and voting record. This will certainly be a start to getting what we need.

After the drafting of the constitution, upon exiting the building, Benjamin Franklin was asked by a woman waiting outside "what have your given us, sir?" he replied " A republic, if you can keep it". To keep a republic in check the citizens must educate themselves on their potential leaders so they can be prepared to choose the right person to REPRESENT THE PEOPLE. Any politician who does not represent his body of voters should be removed from office by the people.

In the words of DCR, "Pretty simple"

DCR

Good advice, Silver

We need to be better-informed voters and let our elected officials know what we expect of them.

Interestingly, many of them believe that "good leadership" requires them to vote their own conscience (read: that of their contributors) regardless what their constituents want. My newly-elected legislator, DeMordaunt, believes he was elected to "lead," not represent - he said as much in an interview within the last month.

We have a lot of educating to do - both of ourselves and those we elect to serve.

silver

Oh he does does he? i will have to explore this issue further as he is my legislator as well. Perhaps we should write him and inform him that his official title is REPRESENTATIVE DeMordaunt, not regime leader DeMordaunt.

Yes education is indeed the key. I just recently made a commitment to myself to be the best educated participant of this republic that I can. Further more, I am attempting to spread it to those around me, starting with my girlfriend as she is very easy to talk to(easy on the eyes too:lol:). I regret to say she is overly apathetic about these issues, and im not just talking about guns. It isn't her fault, it is our society that does not teach responsibility or accountability or even our complete history as a country for that matter. I am slowly getting her to see the problems in the country and educate herself (independently of what i tell her), and having more and more intelligent conversations with her on such subjects. I urge any one who sees this to do the same. I also urge you to urge your friends and your family to educate themselves.

Education is the key.

Do not let your self be led blindly under false pretenses. Obamacare anyone?

Last edited:

ecocks

Marv Hagedorn (R-State Representative, Dist 20, Ada County) was in here the other day and, aside from leaving me a note that "This is GOOD BBQ!" also mentioned he appreciated that I OC throughout the day. Comments continue to be overwhelmingly positive and questioning selection of manufacturer, caliber, where to shoot, etc. To date, only two known customers have taken offense and proclaimed they were taking their business elsewhere over the open carry issue.

DCR

Link to DeMordaunt interview

Question and answer:

Q: "Did your constituents' phone calls, emails and letters influence your votes?"

A: "It's great to have that dialogue, but at the same time my constituents elected me to do the hard research as well. I make certain that I'm as informed as I can possibly be."

-----I may be off, but my take on it is that he is effectively stating he's going to do his own research (which I take to be whatever the party elite tells him) and make up his mind, regardless of constituent input.

Whole article: http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/reed-demordaunt/Content?oid=2202266

230therapy

I'm not totally sure how I feel about this one, to be honest...

I definitely support the idea that SOME method of carry should always be legal without the government's say-so.

I don't like the idea of guys carrying a gun who doesn't know what they're doing.

When you start open carrying, nobody does it without educating themselves, or else the public will give them a hell of a crash course when they go out!

any ignorant fool can tuck a gun in his pants and cover it up though :-/ with no incentive to become anything but ignorant. but if you need a license, with some modest requirements to get that license, then you've got a lot of people going out and taking classes and stuff and learning some of those valuable things that all gun carriers better know.

If we've got wannabe's out there with concealed weapons that aren't educated on how to be responsible with it, then we may potentially end up with the kind of problems that give the gun control bastards more ammo to take away our rights with :-/

That's just my $2.25 (inflation's a bitch) what do you guys think?

I think you have much to learn about liberty.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Good luck you guys. I really hope you guys get your constitutional carry and punish that moron who cheated you all my misleading his intentions.

Also, I have no fear of Constitutional Carry. Those people who will have guns and use them just to impress someone or do other stupid things will break an existing law and go to jail, hurt someone and go to jail, hurt themselves and go to jail. Also, those same people would have done any of those things without the aid of a gun. Remember, the guns don't make people do it. The people WILL do it with something else if they would do it with a gun.

ecocks

Drop in on the meeting Jume 13th to pursue the topics of Constitutional Carry, Campus Carry (by students) and the Idaho political issues regarding the 2A. We'll have at least one Representative there but feel free to invite YOUR state legislator to attend and chat with a group of interested citizens.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
I think you have to actually read how that conversation played out, and how I've already dismissed my former apprehensions.

I was glad to see that and impressed with your acceptance of a reasoned argument. Not sure I need to allay any fears you might still have but one more point you can make when talking to others is the case of your neighbors to the west....

Washington has absolutely no training requirement for OC or for obtaining a permit to CC. Several of us manage not to shoot ourselves most days!

And what xxx.jakk.xxx said.

silver

You consider Illinois a state? :eek:

unless you can convince me otherwise. im sure you can make quite the case based on that.

Good luck you guys. I really hope you guys get your constitutional carry and punish that moron who cheated you all my misleading his intentions.

Also, I have no fear of Constitutional Carry. Those people who will have guns and use them just to impress someone or do other stupid things will break an existing law and go to jail, hurt someone and go to jail, hurt themselves and go to jail. Also, those same people would have done any of those things without the aid of a gun. Remember, the guns don't make people do it. The people WILL do it with something else if they would do it with a gun.

+1 Exactly!

plus im fed up with freggin mandates, rules, and freedom encroaching laws.
Requiring the purchase of health care? are you kidding? Not in this country man. Time to take this damn country back. we can start by repealing obamacare. Or fighting for constitutional carry. Take your pick. one will kill us and the other will only make us stronger.

sorry, i get a little carried away sometimes.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?90886-Where-are-we-headed&p=1539184#post1539184

Last edited: