• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fix gun checks truck

jeremy05

seems like a reasonable group to me.

Stricter background checks, and They also want all records of criminals and others who are barred from buying guns to be included in the background check database.

Whats so bad about that?

Now I know its not going to solve all the problems, but MIGHT keep a gun out of at least one BGs hand. These rules don't even affect any law abiding people.

Also from what I understand, these new rules wouldn't even have changed the Tuscon shooting.

JesseL

Stricter background checks, and They also want all records of criminals and others who are barred from buying guns to be included in the background check database.

Whats so bad about that?

Now I know its not going to solve all the problems, but MIGHT keep a gun out of at least one BGs hand. These rules don't even affect any law abiding people.

Also from what I understand, these new rules wouldn't even have changed the Tuscon shooting.

Imagine you want to give your son a firearm that's been a family heirloom for 90 years. How would you feel about becoming a felon by doing so, unless you and your son went down to an FFL and had them handle the transfer complete with filling out a 4473, calling in a NICS check, and pocketing a $50 fee for their trouble?

HandyHamlet

Then you have not done your homework or have joined the wrong forum by mistake.

:eek:

Their anti-Second Amendment truck says something about 34 murders w/guns every day.

It should read:

cold2.jpg

jeremy05

Then you have not done your homework or have joined the wrong forum by mistake.

:eek:

Their anti-Second Amendment truck says something about 34 murders w/guns every day.

It should read:

cold2.jpg

Well all i was givin was this article to read

TUCSON, AZ (KOLD) - Some of the victims of Tucson's mass shooting will be speaking out about gun control this week.

Victims and families will be joining the group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, on Monday to push for reform.

The group wants Congress to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people, by requiring all gun buyers to pass a background check. They also want all records of criminals and others who are barred from buying guns to be included in the background check database.

After the January 8th shooting that killed six people in Tucson, the group launched a truck tour, touting the slogan, "Fix Gun Checks." The group is traveling the country, asking Americans to sign a petition supporting their plan.

The truck will make a stop in Tucson Monday afternoon at Jacome Plaza downtown.

Still doesn't seem to unreasonable to me. Im sure the family heirloom story happens all the time. Im sure there are FFLs out there that can do that on the cuff for that .01% situations.

Whats so bad about wanting all records of criminals and others who are barred from buying guns to be included in the background check database???? Sounds like a good idea to me, I would have thought this was already being done!

And requiring all gun buyers to pass a background check. Makes sense to me. If I was barred from buying a gun, obviously this would make it a little more difficult. Not impossible, but a little more difficult.

Sonora Rebel

That's what the BATF 4473 is for... (Gun Control Act of 1968 18 USC) But nothing is 100% or ever will be. Y'know... there's this 'privacy' thing that's a slippery slope. Do we keep motor vehicles (or anything else) out of the hands of dangerous people? Then... there's this minor 'Constitutional Right' thing... ya might have heard of that? VPC and the Brady bunch feed on the ignorance of the general populace. Y'know... depleted critical thinking skills 'n all that. They play on emotion alone... Most libs are in that camp. GCA 68 has been in effect for 42 years... Minor point. It's done NOTHING to alter illegal human behavior. It never will.

Kingfish

Makes sense to me. If I was barred from buying a gun, obviously this would make it a little more difficult. Not impossible, but a little more difficult.
Those that cannot be trusted with a firearm cannot be trusted with kitchen knives. The only way to keep guns (or kitchen knives) out of their hands is to keep them somewhere they cannot get guns (or kitchen knives.) Which came first: massive violent crime or revolving door "justice" system?

Also, who is to say who is a "criminal"? Will you still support it when YOU are added to their list?

JesseL

I've got no problem with getting everything into the NICS database that should be there.

Requiring every gun purchase to go through a dealer with a background check is stupid though.

It's already illegal for a felon to buy a gun from anyone. It's illegal to sell a gun to someone you know is a felon. It's illegal to buy a gun with the intent of transferring it to someone you know isn't legally able to buy it for themselves.

They do it anyway.

The only thing this will do is to make felons of good people who want to transfer guns between each other without hassle.

Is it worth making felons of good people in order to make it maybe a little more difficult for bad people to get guns?

suntzu

Whats so bad about that?

They seem like a "reasonable" group to you? Reasonable in what way exactly? How do you propose to keep a gun out of the hands of a criminal? Convicted criminals generally don't go to your local gun store to buy a firearm--they buy them on the street and from friends.

I don't mean to come off like an a$$hat here BUT--criminals are criminals for a reason. They don't play by the same rules you or I do, they don't abide by the laws that our individual state legislatures pass. In fact they couldn't care less what laws your legislators or mine pass. Tennessee makes it a crime to merely possess a gun while providing only certain DEFENSES to the crime of "going armed with the intent to go armed". Now in AZ you are now a totally free state--you can carry a gun open or concealed and do so without a permit. Here we cannot and it makes me want to vomit because criminals here don't need a permit to carry, they don't have to pay that stupid $115 application fee and they don't have to dish out about $100 more for their state mandated permit class. They simply take their gun conceal it and go about their merry business to wreak whatever havoc they want as they see fit. Let a law abiding citizen carry without their mandated state approved privilege card and watch what happens.

The point of all of this is this: It isn't about safety, it isn't about keeping guns out of the hands of criminals or the mentally unstable. It is about two primary motivations (A) control and (B) money. (A) because the government wants to take and turn your right to carry into a mandated privilege by fear mongering to the masses, with the ultimate goal of making every state a mirror image of NYC or Chicago where only the thugs and the police can carry-and look what a wonderful situation those two cities have with crime. Make the people afraid and they are more easily controlled--and control is what it is primarily about. They NEVER miss a chance to capitalize on a tragedy.

(B) Money. I don't know about AZ but in TN a privilege card will cost about $200 by the time you get done paying. It is about making money for the state in the form of background checks, application fees and privilege fees, not to mention making a fortune for the permit instructors.

If you think this is about safety or security you would do well to rethink it--because it isn't and never has been.

My .02 cents.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I don't mean to come off like an a$$hat here BUT--criminals are criminals for a reason. They don't play by the same rules you or I do

Where do you draw the line and decide to become a criminal? I break a dozen or more laws a day, most are considered felonies. Yet no one is harmed, and I've done nothing wrong to anyone.

When the Law becomes something you can break while not hurting someone else, and have the punishment be so severe that you are stripped of your basic human rights for doing it... The notion that the Law is something one should respect and obey becomes a pretty silly notion.

I can't say I marginalize the so-called 'criminals' much anymore. I am one. I have more integrity and decency in me than those who wrote the Laws. Compliance with what you know is wrong? Or Defiance as the only path left to do what is right?

Which one would you be proud of?

Last edited:

suntzu

Where do you draw the line and decide to become a criminal? I break a dozen or more laws a day, most are considered felonies. Yet no one is harmed, and I've done nothing wrong to anyone.

When the Law becomes something you can break while not hurting someone else, and have the punishment be so severe that you are stripped of your basic human rights for doing it... The notion that the Law is something one should respect and obey becomes a pretty silly notion.

I can't say I marginalize the so-called 'criminals' much anymore. I am one. I have more integrity and decency in me than those who wrote the Laws. Compliance with what you know is wrong? Or Defiance as the only path left to do what is right?

Which one would you be proud of?

I think you missed the point. Or perhaps I didn't elaborate properly--to require citizens to (A) have a permit or (B) undergo all of these background checks to carry a gun is ridiculous. Criminals don't do background checks and they don't do permits. The ONLY people harmed by these stupid requirements are the people. Legislatures pass these laws because it brings them $$$$--and $$$$ is what it has always been about.

Which do you want--a privilege that can be stripped from you as easily as it is given or a right given to you even before the Constitution was written?

Stricter gun control does nothing, has done nothing and will do nothing to stop violent crime.

We the people are the individuals being marginalized.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I think you missed the point. Or perhaps I didn't elaborate properly--to require citizens to (A) have a permit or (B) undergo all of these background checks to carry a gun is ridiculous. Criminals don't do background checks and they don't do permits. The ONLY people harmed by these stupid requirements are the people. Legislatures pass these laws because it brings them $$$$--and $$$$ is what it has always been about.

Which do you want--a privilege that can be stripped from you as easily as it is given or a right given to you even before the Constitution was written?

Stricter gun control does nothing, has done nothing and will do nothing to stop violent crime.

We the people are the individuals being marginalized.

I understand your point in the absolute. I'm adding the next part of the conversation: We know Permit/Licensing/Checking is an evil scam, so why do it?

I get it, I'm not dwelling on it. what is the next step? The next thought? We have determined truth, what to do with it?

I'm suggesting that the criminalization of the honest man demonstrates that 'criminals' are merely citizens who refuse to feed tyrants. Yes, it's all about money. So stop giving it to them. Be a 'criminal.' Don't feed the beast.

Break the Law like a good Freedom-Loving Patriot should.

Where did this Country come from? Obedience to the Crown? Pshaw...

Last edited: