Thread: No open carry for me :(

No open carry for me :(

I now have the money to be able to purchase a hand gun, but unfortanatly, I moved to wisconsin to help my aunt out in a new store she opened up which also means I am staying with them. I am not following her rationale here. My uncle(her husband) owns shot guns. They have guns at home so what need is there for a handgun for self defense. She doen't see a need for a hand gun for self defense or defense of others. I tried sharing a couple things that have happened, one being at a library using the internet one time and some guy starts yelling at us, he was drunk and beligerent. then he started shooting. But that doesn't matter because "This isn't St Louis" I explained you never know when something will happen, again that didn't matter because "You cant have people walking around with guns everywhere anticipating that something bad could happen." So I'm not really making nearly enough money to sustain myself since I'm helping her out so until something happens in the future where different living arrangements are made, I will not be owning a handgun. I understand it is her house, and I don't want to purchase a handgun and bring it into her house if she doesn't want me to. My uncle doesn't have a problem with it, but because of my aunts ways of thinking, I won't be owning one any time soon.
    Last edited by freedom_fighter_of_america; 03-28-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freedom_fighter_of_america View Post
    I now have the money to be able to purchase a hand gun, but unfortanatly, I moved to wisconsin to help my aunt out in a new store she opened up which also means I am staying with them. I am not following her rationale here. My uncle(her husband) owns shot guns. They have guns at home so what need is there for a handgun for self defense. She doen't see a need for a hand gun for self defense or defense of others. I tried sharing a couple things that have happened, one being at a library using the internet one time and some guy starts yelling at us, he was drunk and beligerent. then he started shooting. But that doesn't matter because "This isn't St Louis" I explained you never know when something will happen, again that didn't matter because "There's not a need for people to be walking around with guns anticipating that something bad could happen." So I'm not really making nearly enough money to sustain myself since I'm helping her out so until something happens in the future where different living arrangements are made, I will not be owning a handgun. I understand it is her house, and I don't want to purchase a handgun and bring it into her house if she doesn't want me to. My uncle doesn't have a problem with it, but because of my aunts ways of thinking, I won't be owning one any time soon.
    Depending on how much you love your life, (changing the quote) "Better to be juged by (your Aunt) than carried by 6." Basically what I am saying is if it were me, I would go against here wishes and do everything in my power to not let her find out. In normal business situations you can respect their right to run their business how they see fit. In the situation your in you are stuck.
    Last edited by protect our rights; 03-28-2011 at 01:03 AM.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

I too think you should get your own handgun, but refrain from letting her know about it or carry in her business. If she finds out, she probably wouldn't throw you out or anything, she'd probably just be "disappointed". It's your money and your life, spend it how you want.
    Join Wisconsin Carry today, defend your rights!

Wisconsin Carry member since March, 2011

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

well,,,

i read about your aunts store before..
    she said its open carry friendly, but,,,
    she wont let you buy a gun?

i know youre young, but are you an adult?
    maybe its time for you to make your own life and death decisions!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Sounds to me like room & board is part of your pay, which makes you a tenant, which means you can do what you want with your space.

At least, far as I'm concerned.

Banned
    It isn't worth it. What if she were your senator or representative. Oh yeah, she's not, your rights arent up to her. No disrespect to you or your family, but when someone isnt using thier brain, you should go with the decisions of those who are.

I will never understand some peoples thinking.

My own line of thinking is that: Yeah,theres (shot)guns but those
    are Uncle ___'s shotguns and those are what HE will be using to
    protect himself and your Aunt....Which is just fine and great....For Him.

What are you gonna use??

I bought the Browning BDA for the Mrs. so she could have her own gun.

It would do my heart proud to hear she defended herself against a BG....
    But if she did it with my prized O/U Trap gun I would be more than just
    a little upset.

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

As long as you live in the home of your aunt and uncle, you must follow their rules. That's part of the deal. When I was still 16, a few decades back, I moved away from home and paid my own way in life. It may not have been the smartest move in my life, but it's something that I needed to do at the time. Maybe you could "join a target shooting league". And therefore have the need for a handgun.

It's time in your life to step up to the plate. Maybe you need a second job so you can rent your own place.
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

McX
    my 'government' doesnt allow open carry around the house either. but she does allow unloaded, encased, available. the times where she balked about a firearm purchase i countered with; is it your intent to deprive me of my rights as guarenteed by the Constitution of the United States? she couldnt argue with that one. if you do decide to get a firearm, you do have another 'storage' option: vehicle carry, then it doesnt enter the house, and remains in your car, presumably your property. something to consider.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Yes, I am an adult, 29. It doesn't make any sense to me that she would say her store is open carry friendly but then say what she says. She says we can discuss it more, but I don't know where that will really go.

Aunt's house

Just remember "If ma ain't happy, ain't no one happy". The married guys on the forum will know what I mean.

Sounds like you need a different job and a different place to live.

You moved there to help her out & she is telling you what you can & can not posses in her home??? Tell her to PIZZZZ off ! & move back home ! Tell her if you want my help at the store, then you will allow my pistol in your home & stop telling me what to do. I have a KNT aunt like this too, FK her !
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 03-28-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by freedom_fighter's aunt
    "You can't have people walking around with guns everywhere anticipating that something bad could happen."
    So she's anti-cop?
    Cops are doing their job, & it doesn't include protecting you, or her. See Warren v. DC.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT
    Does your Aunt wear a seatbelt because it is required by law, because she is anticipating getting in an accident, or because you just don't know who is going to be driving the other vehicle and what their ability to drive or state of sobriety is?
    Do they have insurance on their house, their car,
    do they have smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, a first aid kit,
    is one of your uncle's long guns available for you to use if someone breaks in through your bedroom window?
    Do they understand how unwieldy a long gun is inside a house, why even police carry pistols because they're easier to use in more situations?

If you (& your uncle?) can't persuade her with reason, you'll either have to get a pistol & not let her find out (unless you shoot a burgler in your room) or save enough money to get your own place.
    On the good side, since you live there you're allowed to carry concealed...

Yes, I am an adult, 29. It doesn't make any sense to me that she would say her store is open carry friendly but then say what she says. She says we can discuss it more, but I don't know where that will really go.
    Tell her goodbye. I get a pistol or you work this place by yourself !
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 03-28-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Banned
    What if she told you that you werent allowed to wear a seatbelt in her car, because she was afraid of being knocked out in a crash, and the car might burn up with you in it?

A shotgun, or gun kept in the car is about as useless for home defense as a chihuahua. AS you are sitting there watching TV, and the door comes flying open, or when you return home, and find the guy with the black mask in your bedroom, how do you propose to retrieve your (likely locked, and unloaded) paperweight? Carry a handgun. Most home invasions happen within the home.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 03-28-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    As long as you live in the home of your aunt and uncle, you must follow their rules. That's part of the deal.
    It's time in your life to step up to the plate. Maybe you need a second job so you can rent your own place.
    Exactly right...

Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    Again, Exactly right...

Not walking in your shoes so I really don't know all the ins and outs of your situation but if you feel strongly enough about this, you will have to make a decision. My Opinion, Your Aunt and Uncle have lived long enough to do things their own way and don't need any upset in their lives.

If they are 'not' nice people, drop them like a hot rock and make your own way. Why put up with the aggravation. If they are nice folk and you want to stay, live by their rules. If you can't live by their rules, get out.

Hardballer out!
    Last edited by hardballer; 03-28-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    ^^^This^^^
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Sounds to me like room & board is part of your pay, which makes you a tenant, which means you can do what you want with your space.

At least, far as I'm concerned.
    I notice none of the "her house, her rules" folks have addressed my argument.

The rights of tenants are well-established under the common law, and under modern law.

Can this room and board be considered part payment for your services?
    Last edited by marshaul; 03-28-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Banned
    Absolutely yes. Room and board, being one of the, if not the greatest portion of any persons expenditures, would be considered payment, and tenants rights would apply.

I now have the money to be able to purchase a hand gun, but unfortanatly, I moved to wisconsin to help my aunt out in a new store she opened up which also means I am staying with them. I am not following her rationale here. My uncle(her husband) owns shot guns. They have guns at home so what need is there for a handgun for self defense. She doen't see a need for a hand gun for self defense or defense of others. I tried sharing a couple things that have happened, one being at a library using the internet one time and some guy starts yelling at us, he was drunk and beligerent. then he started shooting. But that doesn't matter because "This isn't St Louis" I explained you never know when something will happen, again that didn't matter because "You cant have people walking around with guns everywhere anticipating that something bad could happen." So I'm not really making nearly enough money to sustain myself since I'm helping her out so until something happens in the future where different living arrangements are made, I will not be owning a handgun. I understand it is her house, and I don't want to purchase a handgun and bring it into her house if she doesn't want me to. My uncle doesn't have a problem with it, but because of my aunts ways of thinking, I won't be owning one any time soon.
    Well, good luck with that. Hope you never need one I guess.
    Do you have a car? Keep it in your car? Just an idea....
    Did she ever say that she would kick you out of you did get one? If not, I would not tell her about your new gun.

Maybe here is a little more insight, she said erlier today that she thought I should take care of some other things first, 1 being getting some teeth fixed, but that's going to take a few grand probably to do and without insurance it's not likely to happen anytime soon, before purchasing a handgun. My aunt works another full time job and is trying to make this store work. She doesn't have anyone else to help her with the store. Although I am very dissapointed, I wanted them to be ok with me purchasing a hand gun and having it in her home. That is why I brought the topic up and asked them. I work full time at her store, and the store is still open carry friendly. There is no going back home anywhere. This is all I have at the moment. I do enjoy working at the store, and it's better then St Louis in a tent. So while I am dissappointed, I want to respect her and her house.

Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    Maybe here is a little more insight, she said erlier today that she thought I should take care of some other things first, 1 being getting some teeth fixed, but that's going to take a few grand probably to do and without insurance it's not likely to happen anytime soon, before purchasing a handgun. My aunt works another full time job and is trying to make this store work. She doesn't have anyone else to help her with the store. Although I am very dissapointed, I wanted them to be ok with me purchasing a hand gun and having it in her home. That is why I brought the topic up and asked them. I work full time at her store, and the store is still open carry friendly. There is no going back home anywhere. This is all I have at the moment. I do enjoy working at the store, and it's better then St Louis in a tent. So while I am dissappointed, I want to respect her and her house.
    I completely understand where your coming from. I just have a different view of things. My life is more important than the wishes of one of my family members. Even if that means I might have to stay in a tent. Actually long story short, I WAS kicked out of a house at the age of 18 for not complying with the no firearm rule. I decided I'd rather protect myself and my loved ones then make these people happy.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

Banned
    She gets free armed security at her store.