• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No open carry for me :(

I now have the money to be able to purchase a hand gun, but unfortanatly, I moved to wisconsin to help my aunt out in a new store she opened up which also means I am staying with them. I am not following her rationale here. My uncle(her husband) owns shot guns. They have guns at home so what need is there for a handgun for self defense. She doen't see a need for a hand gun for self defense or defense of others. I tried sharing a couple things that have happened, one being at a library using the internet one time and some guy starts yelling at us, he was drunk and beligerent. then he started shooting. But that doesn't matter because "This isn't St Louis" I explained you never know when something will happen, again that didn't matter because "You cant have people walking around with guns everywhere anticipating that something bad could happen." So I'm not really making nearly enough money to sustain myself since I'm helping her out so until something happens in the future where different living arrangements are made, I will not be owning a handgun. I understand it is her house, and I don't want to purchase a handgun and bring it into her house if she doesn't want me to. My uncle doesn't have a problem with it, but because of my aunts ways of thinking, I won't be owning one any time soon.

Last edited:

protect our rights

I now have the money to be able to purchase a hand gun, but unfortanatly, I moved to wisconsin to help my aunt out in a new store she opened up which also means I am staying with them. I am not following her rationale here. My uncle(her husband) owns shot guns. They have guns at home so what need is there for a handgun for self defense. She doen't see a need for a hand gun for self defense or defense of others. I tried sharing a couple things that have happened, one being at a library using the internet one time and some guy starts yelling at us, he was drunk and beligerent. then he started shooting. But that doesn't matter because "This isn't St Louis" I explained you never know when something will happen, again that didn't matter because "There's not a need for people to be walking around with guns anticipating that something bad could happen." So I'm not really making nearly enough money to sustain myself since I'm helping her out so until something happens in the future where different living arrangements are made, I will not be owning a handgun. I understand it is her house, and I don't want to purchase a handgun and bring it into her house if she doesn't want me to. My uncle doesn't have a problem with it, but because of my aunts ways of thinking, I won't be owning one any time soon.

Depending on how much you love your life, (changing the quote) "Better to be juged by (your Aunt) than carried by 6." Basically what I am saying is if it were me, I would go against here wishes and do everything in my power to not let her find out. In normal business situations you can respect their right to run their business how they see fit. In the situation your in you are stuck.

Last edited:

Pyro01

I too think you should get your own handgun, but refrain from letting her know about it or carry in her business. If she finds out, she probably wouldn't throw you out or anything, she'd probably just be "disappointed". It's your money and your life, spend it how you want.

1245A Defender

well,,,

i read about your aunts store before..
she said its open carry friendly, but,,,
she wont let you buy a gun?

i know youre young, but are you an adult?
maybe its time for you to make your own life and death decisions!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Sounds to me like room & board is part of your pay, which makes you a tenant, which means you can do what you want with your space. :p

At least, far as I'm concerned.

stainless1911

Banned
It isn't worth it. What if she were your senator or representative. Oh yeah, she's not, your rights arent up to her. No disrespect to you or your family, but when someone isnt using thier brain, you should go with the decisions of those who are.

LR Yote 312

I will never understand some peoples thinking.

My own line of thinking is that: Yeah,theres (shot)guns but those
are Uncle ___'s shotguns and those are what HE will be using to
protect himself and your Aunt....Which is just fine and great....For Him.

What are you gonna use??

I bought the Browning BDA for the Mrs. so she could have her own gun.

It would do my heart proud to hear she defended herself against a BG....
But if she did it with my prized O/U Trap gun I would be more than just
a little upset.

LR Yote

Krusty

As long as you live in the home of your aunt and uncle, you must follow their rules. That's part of the deal. When I was still 16, a few decades back, I moved away from home and paid my own way in life. It may not have been the smartest move in my life, but it's something that I needed to do at the time. Maybe you could "join a target shooting league". And therefore have the need for a handgun.

It's time in your life to step up to the plate. Maybe you need a second job so you can rent your own place.

M

McX

my 'government' doesnt allow open carry around the house either. but she does allow unloaded, encased, available. the times where she balked about a firearm purchase i countered with; is it your intent to deprive me of my rights as guarenteed by the Constitution of the United States? she couldnt argue with that one. if you do decide to get a firearm, you do have another 'storage' option: vehicle carry, then it doesnt enter the house, and remains in your car, presumably your property. something to consider.

Yes, I am an adult, 29. It doesn't make any sense to me that she would say her store is open carry friendly but then say what she says. She says we can discuss it more, but I don't know where that will really go.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
You moved there to help her out & she is telling you what you can & can not posses in her home??? Tell her to PIZZZZ off ! & move back home ! Tell her if you want my help at the store, then you will allow my pistol in your home & stop telling me what to do. I have a KNT aunt like this too, FK her !

Last edited:

MKEgal

freedom_fighter's aunt said:
"You can't have people walking around with guns everywhere anticipating that something bad could happen."
So she's anti-cop?
Cops are doing their job, & it doesn't include protecting you, or her. See Warren v. DC.

NavyLT said:
Does your Aunt wear a seatbelt because it is required by law, because she is anticipating getting in an accident, or because you just don't know who is going to be driving the other vehicle and what their ability to drive or state of sobriety is?
Do they have insurance on their house, their car,
do they have smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, a first aid kit,
is one of your uncle's long guns available for you to use if someone breaks in through your bedroom window?
Do they understand how unwieldy a long gun is inside a house, why even police carry pistols because they're easier to use in more situations?

If you (& your uncle?) can't persuade her with reason, you'll either have to get a pistol & not let her find out (unless you shoot a burgler in your room) or save enough money to get your own place.
On the good side, since you live there you're allowed to carry concealed...

stainless1911

Banned
What if she told you that you werent allowed to wear a seatbelt in her car, because she was afraid of being knocked out in a crash, and the car might burn up with you in it?

A shotgun, or gun kept in the car is about as useless for home defense as a chihuahua. AS you are sitting there watching TV, and the door comes flying open, or when you return home, and find the guy with the black mask in your bedroom, how do you propose to retrieve your (likely locked, and unloaded) paperweight? Carry a handgun. Most home invasions happen within the home.

Last edited:

hardballer

As long as you live in the home of your aunt and uncle, you must follow their rules. That's part of the deal.
It's time in your life to step up to the plate. Maybe you need a second job so you can rent your own place.
Exactly right...

Tell her goodbye. I get a pistol or you work this place by yourself !
Again, Exactly right...

Not walking in your shoes so I really don't know all the ins and outs of your situation but if you feel strongly enough about this, you will have to make a decision. My Opinion, Your Aunt and Uncle have lived long enough to do things their own way and don't need any upset in their lives.

If they are 'not' nice people, drop them like a hot rock and make your own way. Why put up with the aggravation. If they are nice folk and you want to stay, live by their rules. If you can't live by their rules, get out.

Hardballer out!

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Sounds to me like room & board is part of your pay, which makes you a tenant, which means you can do what you want with your space. :p

At least, far as I'm concerned.

I notice none of the "her house, her rules" folks have addressed my argument.

The rights of tenants are well-established under the common law, and under modern law.

Can this room and board be considered part payment for your services?

Last edited: