• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with form 1 supressor

Pagan

Ok so I just sent in my form 1 application, to construct a 9mm supressor. So sometime next year when it gets approved,lol, and I can actually build it, could I just holster it on my weapon and go out for a stroll? Mine is only going to be 3.6 inches long and 1 inch diameter, so it will be low profile.
I have read through the Va. laws concerning supressors, and from what I can tell, is that first, I must have a CHP, which I do, and two is that I can't carry it concealed. Anybody have any more info on this, or have actually done it?
Thanks in advance.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Ok so I just sent in my form 1 application, to construct a 9mm supressor. So sometime next year when it gets approved,lol, and I can actually build it, could I just holster it on my weapon and go out for a stroll? Mine is only going to be 3.6 inches long and 1 inch diameter, so it will be low profile.
I have read through the Va. laws concerning supressors, and from what I can tell, is that first, I must have a CHP, which I do, and two is that I can't carry it concealed. Anybody have any more info on this, or have actually done it?
Thanks in advance.
Maybe one of theose "just because you can" do it does not mean you should. The same reason I don't carry my super shorty shotgun AOW with 6.5" barrel

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Maybe one of theose "just because you can" do it does not mean you should. The same reason I don't carry my super shorty shotgun AOW with 6.5" barrel

+1 on what Ed said !

Where did you read you had to have a CHP to carry a legally registered suppressor?

Pagan

Also, I would not go out with it to the mall, or beach,I'm just talking about walking or biking in more secluded areas.
Although I must admit that going to lobby day, "just because I can", sounds interesting. BUT I value yall's input, or I would not be asking in the first place.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Also, I would not go out with it to the mall, or beach,I'm just talking about walking or biking in more secluded areas.
Although I must admit that going to lobby day, "just because I can", sounds interesting. BUT I value yall's input, or I would not be asking in the first place.

That's really a decision you have to make.
My love for large frame, large bore revolvers is common knowledge and I don't carry them for the wow factor, it's what I carry 90% of the time in the sticks where I spend most of my time.

BUT..I'm considering switching to a smaller frame 9mm:cry: in the burbs just to be more subdued and attract less attention.

Lobby day...who knows. Dejeepers carried his AR off pretty well but he did get a lot of press that could have been harmful.

Last edited:

DJEEPER

Lobby day...who knows. Dejeepers carried his AR off pretty well but he did get a lot of press that could have been harmful.

yes indeed. This something you have to take into consideration. my every day carry is not my AR pistol....partly for that reason, also for how cumbersome the ar pistol can be at times.

I think if you actually needed to draw to defend, your suppressor could cause problems under high anxiety and pressure.

Walt_Kowalski

I can't wait for the day when suppressors no longer have the stigma that the movies have given them, and instead promote the user as one that is concerned over the hearing of himself and others around him.

Thundar

Not for carrying the supressor but the centerfire pistol with a threaded barrel part of the law.

WARNING, WARNING!!!!
Talk about supressed open carry (SOC) may lead to the banning of SOC discussions on OCDO. Remember what happened to Long GUn Open Carry!!!
WARNING, WARNING!!!!

You are correct Virginia has a stupid assault firearm law for centerfire pistols, rifles and shotguns. threaded centerfire = assault firearm

You could just use a Sig Mosquito with a threaded barrel (it is only sold in .22LR) and just do the BATFE paper drill for the supressor. No CHP required.

Pagan

Since mine is going to be so short and thin, I am going to build it with the ability to use a wipe, just behind the endcap. So I could still get good sound reduction with a smaller caliber, 1 supressor that will work with any weapon of 9mm or less, and threaded 1/2 28 tpi.

DJEEPER

WARNING, WARNING!!!!
Talk about supressed open carry (SOC) may lead to the banning of SOC discussions on OCDO. Remember what happened to Long GUn Open Carry!!!
WARNING, WARNING!!!!

haha, yes. Lame, isnt it? sort of the opposite of what this site is about, hm.

45acpForMe

prev | next § 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

I see that CHP voids restriction but originally read (a) and (b) together thinking only those localities applied to both. WRONG!

Where did you read that you couldn't conceal it? I would think that it would make less of a commotion if it was concealed.

So I guess if I am OC-ing my H&K USP Tactical it will be RAS enough for any police officer to stop me and ask for a CHP! Maybe VCDL can take up this next year and get rid of the dreaded "Assault firearm" clause (or more)!

Last edited:

Pagan

Man I must have mis read that, I went back to the COV and looked, I could have sworn I saw that in there just 2 days ago! I'm not complaining about being wrong, this time.

All American Nightmare

That's really a decision you have to make.
My love for large frame, large bore revolvers is common knowledge and I don't carry them for the wow factor, it's what I carry 90% of the time in the sticks where I spend most of my time.

BUT..I'm considering switching to a smaller frame 9mm:cry: in the burbs just to be more subdued and attract less attention.

Your going to carry a 9mm :shocker:WHAT? You feeling ok?