• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with form 1 supressor

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Time to get out of the burbs. You need to spend more time on the farm.

You're telling me. I have some tobacco plants that are two feet tall and sitting in pots here in the burbs and have another 14000 tobacco seeds in the mail.

But the thing I hate most about the BURBS ....is:

[video=vimeo;21709480]http://vimeo.com/21709480[/video]

ODA 226

Ok so I just sent in my form 1 application, to construct a 9mm supressor. So sometime next year when it gets approved,lol, and I can actually build it, could I just holster it on my weapon and go out for a stroll? Mine is only going to be 3.6 inches long and 1 inch diameter, so it will be low profile.
I have read through the Va. laws concerning supressors, and from what I can tell, is that first, I must have a CHP, which I do, and two is that I can't carry it concealed. Anybody have any more info on this, or have actually done it?
Thanks in advance.

Why for?:eek:

45acpForMe

What are you asking? Because inquiring minds want to know.

Why submit a form? ...Because it is the "current" law.
Why build it? ...Because he can save $400 at least over buying one.
Why carry it? ...Because my daughters hearing is worth saving. (often I am around kids)
Why conceal it? ...Because OC-ing it may cause panic in certain hoplophobes.

Why ask why?:cool: ...Why not?

Last edited:

ODA 226

What are you asking? Because inquiring minds want to know.

Why submit a form? ...Because it is the "current" law.
Why build it? ...Because he can save $400 at least over buying one.
Why carry it? ...Because my daughters hearing is worth saving. (often I am around kids)
Why conceal it? ...Because OC-ing it may cause panic in certain hoplophobes.

Why ask why?:cool: ...Why not?

You know that both of us have legal suppressors. I, personally, find that walking around with an extra 3 to 6 inches of metal attached to my pistol is a little unwieldy and would make for a much slower draw in an emergency. Just sayin'.....

Pagan

Well if I were to holster it in a drop leg rig, my draw will be just fine, the can should weigh about 5 .oz and will only be 3.6 inches long, more suppressor than silencer. But honestly I was thinking about if I had to use it to thwart a carjacker, shooting my gun in my car would probably be very painful.

But also I am thinking of a way to thread my p11 barrel, which when equipped with a can of the size I am planning to build, should only make the gun about as long as my P93 w/o a can . Thus my draw will be fine, even from the hip.

45acpForMe

You know that both of us have legal suppressors. I, personally, find that walking around with an extra 3 to 6 inches of metal attached to my pistol is a little unwieldy and would make for a much slower draw in an emergency. Just sayin'.....

I agree, in my case the 11 inch TiRant would make it even more unweildly.

I dread the thought of firing my weapon from within the car (more so with kids in it).

I could conceal it in one of my jackets but would probably have it as my BUG and have another in a holster on my hip as primary.

rob99vmi04

I would not suggest that you should carry a can on a gun being used for personal protection.

Reasons:

1-A can reduces the reliability of the firerarm itself.

2-use of a class III item in a SD situation usually results in a lot of splaining to do! And can cost you a lot of money in the long wrong, based souly on the image of useing such a device for protection. Don't believe me? Just ask Gary Fadden...http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_168_28/ai_112685749/

Just remember if you have use a gun for protection in a Self Defense situation, you will not have to explain your logic and reasoning to people that are on forums such as this one. The prosecuting attorney is going to hold up your gun and anything you had on you at the time, rattling off garbage and pre-concieved notions only found in a James Bond film or movies about itallian hitmen. You will have to explain it to 12 people who may not view things the same way we do. Self defense is self defense in my book regardless of whether you choose a F/A Suppressed Submachine gun or a J frame Revolver, we view it as the circumstance is more important than the items used. Howver, people on the jury have lots of incorrect and negative knowledge and pre-conceived notions as to what suppressors are used for, and it may be unlikely that they view them in a postive light such as a we do.

The easierer part of using a gun for self defense is pulling out the gun and pulling the trigger. The hardest part is articulating your reasoning and why you did it. The last thing you want is to give the other side any additional ammuntion to be used against you in a negative light. Unfortunatly, class III items such as Machine guns, suppressors, SBR'S, SBS's, AOW's, and Pistol AR's/AK's may add this negative light and may require you to explain your actions past just using the item because you thought you were in fear of your life. I used to have an article from IIRC from a Virginia Legal Review website that discussed this issue and why it was a bad idea to use these for Self Defense. I'll see if I can find it.

Anyway this is just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Pagan

Seems to me that if you have to shoot somebody, then there will already be a lot of explaining to do. Also I see a supressor, as something totally differnt than an SMG.
I understand your thoughts, and do appreciate your input, none the less.

nuc65

Activist Member
That's really a decision you have to make.
My love for large frame, large bore revolvers is common knowledge and I don't carry them for the wow factor, it's what I carry 90% of the time in the sticks where I spend most of my time.

BUT..I'm considering switching to a smaller frame 9mm:cry: in the burbs just to be more subdued and attract less attention.

Lobby day...who knows. Dejeepers carried his AR off pretty well but he did get a lot of press that could have been harmful.

My Sig looks the same from the outside whether it is configured in .22, 9mm, .357 or .40S&W, unless you are looking down the barrel.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My Sig looks the same from the outside whether it is configured in .22, 9mm, .357 or .40S&W, unless you are looking down the barrel.

Yeah but it's still a small bore. I started to carry a .357 on Saturday but just couldn't do it.:(

nuc65

Activist Member
Yeah but it's still a small bore. I started to carry a .357 on Saturday but just couldn't do it.:(

I've considered getting a .50 cal for OC but haven't decided if I want to spend that much on the bullets, when it seems like the .40 S&W should be good. Where does the gun stop being a small bore?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I've considered getting a .50 cal for OC but haven't decided if I want to spend that much on the bullets, when it seems like the .40 S&W should be good. Where does the gun stop being a small bore?

Good question and the term is misleading. Anything .44 or over is a large bore for my uses.
They don't make a .50 that's a useful cartridge IMO and I have a 45/70 so it's .44 or .45 for EDC.

The 45 ACP is fine for walking around the Burbs but I hate autos because I have to chase spent cartridges. I buy ACP brass in 1000 lots and still they won't last as long as 100 44 Magnums because they get lost.

The .45 Colt AKA long colt, is the most useful cartridge in existence except for the 454 Casull which includes the Colt. The selection of guns is limited though.

The .44 Magnum is hands down my favorite. It will do everything the .454 will do with a tad less authority and the selection of guns is very broad. You don't have to chase brass, you can load it down for quiet or hot for enough penetration.

The .357 is OK if you want something little to put in your pocket.

The.40 was designed for police officers like Novacop (Limpwristed):banana:

Last edited: