Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: OPEN CARRY LONG RIFLE OR PISTOL ON A SLING ACCROSS YOUR BACK in MI

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    40

    OPEN CARRY LONG RIFLE OR PISTOL ON A SLING ACCROSS YOUR BACK in MI

    I feel silly asking this question as my gut tells me that common sense trumps legality but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what other opinions are.

    I have an AK Pistol that I would like to open carry. I know, I know, there are those of you that will say "why would you want to OC an AK Pistol or AR15"? The answer is because its my right for one.

    Second, I work in detroit and I cant tell you how many times the sight of that AK saved me from a situation. Plain and simple, when people see it they will not approach you regardless of what thier intentions are and I prefer it that way.

    I have seen others OC AR15's and get away with it but what about if the rifle is not in a holster? If its simply on a sling is it legal to carry OC?

    I also have an AK Pistol and wanted to know if thats legeal to OC on a sling on your back without a holster. I also purchased a weapons catch but do I need it to be legal?

    Please help with legalities.

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    You should seek help in the MI subforum.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

    OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    You should seek help in the MI subforum.
    Thanks for your response. Where is the MI Subforum? I am new to this site.



    --Moderator Note--
    LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC:
    This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    1,835
    Yet, in spite of the above, a rather lengthy thread about exactly this, has been going on for days-with intense debates on the subject at hand between the hotheads and the sensibles.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...arrested-OCing.

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,620
    =deathtolltally;1496980]Thanks for your response. Where is the MI Subforum? I am new to this site.
    You state you live in Detroit. Laws are different in different states.

    MI (Michigan) sub-forum is the same one you posted to last year with the exact same question.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ling-Need-Help
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Outdoorsman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Silver Lake WI
    Posts
    1,249
    Why would someone ask the same question a year ago then ask it again now...????

    I guess the first 4 words to the first reply by sultan62 was dead on...

    Originally Posted by sultan62
    "You should seek help in the MI subforum."

    Outdoorsman1

  7. #7
    Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    Yet, in spite of the above, a rather lengthy thread about exactly this, has been going on for days-with intense debates on the subject at hand between the hotheads and the sensibles.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...arrested-OCing.
    Actually that thread was about the 2nd Amendment. Which this forum IS for.
    Last edited by protect our rights; 03-28-2011 at 06:33 PM.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,620
    Quote Originally Posted by protect our rights View Post
    Actually that thread was about the 2nd Amendment. Which this forum IS for.
    Let me check the title, motto etc of the home page - nope not there.

    Let see maybe the rules so confirm your contention - nope not there either.

    The forum is not so nearly broad based as you suggest/insist. It is much more narrow in focus being directly and restrictively aimed at open carry by design and wishes of the owners of the site. There have been many comments from them and rule adjustments to reflect that. The General Forum is intended as a collection point for gun things not specific to OC; the Social Lounge for threads/posts not related directly to OC or RKBA.

    Would you prefer that the thread had been moved to one of these latter categories from the beginning? Being that the item was likely of more interest to Michigan members, it would seem to me that much consideration was shown leaving it there and open for so long.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    LGOC is legal, but it WILL at this time, cause more harm than good to the OC movement as a whole. I am personally a firm supporter of your RIGHT to carry an AK, but its not the right time. LGOC is off limits on OCDO, I strongly disagree with the rule, but it is what it is. The places listed in 750.234d are still off limits, and you must transport the rifle in accordance with the law. If it is less than 30 inches in length, then it must be registered as a pistol, and carried under the CPL laws of the state. If it is registered as a pistol, then we are again within the rules of OCDO.

  10. #10
    Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Let me check the title, motto etc of the home page - nope not there.

    Let see maybe the rules so confirm your contention - nope not there either.

    The forum is not so nearly broad based as you suggest/insist. It is much more narrow in focus being directly and restrictively aimed at open carry by design and wishes of the owners of the site. There have been many comments from them and rule adjustments to reflect that. The General Forum is intended as a collection point for gun things not specific to OC; the Social Lounge for threads/posts not related directly to OC or RKBA.

    Would you prefer that the thread had been moved to one of these latter categories from the beginning? Being that the item was likely of more interest to Michigan members, it would seem to me that much consideration was shown leaving it there and open for so long.
    So 2nd amendment talk is no longer allowed here? I was simply stating( maybe in confusing words?) that there is nothing in the rules that state you can't defends someones 2nd amendment rights on this forum. If that is the case I have joined the wrong forum and I assume many others have too.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Is the gun registered as a pistol? The answer to that changes the laws that you have to follow, and weather or not this thread is about to be locked.

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,620
    IMHO - a proliferation of postings promoting "non-standard" handguns like the AR and AK variants would more than likely precipitate a rule change even less to the liking of some. As it is there is some latitude.

    Paraphrasing an early statement from John (apologies if I don't get it exactly right) that OCDO is about normalizing properly holstered handguns as we go about our normal daily routines. Such is not an in-your-face effort.

    Personally I agree with stainless1911 that while legal, the time is not right to push that issue front and center. Where that has been done, out stock has diminished. I choose to not mention specific events and hope that others will understand why.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-28-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Correct, save it for Halloween, OC picknics OC functions and things like the second amendment march type of activities.

    If you do OC an AK or other LG, just make sure the chamber is empty because the trigghr isnt going to be covered, and someone might just stick their finger in there and shoot your gun. As long as nobody got hurt, it would be funny as hell, but would make us all look bad, and wind you up here:


  14. #14
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    well,,,

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You state you live in Detroit. Laws are different in different states.

    MI (Michigan) sub-forum is the same one you posted to last year with the exact same question.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ling-Need-Help
    he spent 3 days here back in june 2010,
    now hes here again, he will get tired soon and probably leave, maybe for 9 months.
    maybe he will be back for the holidays, claiming to be new here,
    and trolling the same question, can i carry an ak pistol?
    bet he didnt have one back in june, doesnt have one now, and wont have one in december!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  15. #15
    Regular Member Centurion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    metro detroit
    Posts
    41

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    he spent 3 days here back in june 2010,
    now hes here again, he will get tired soon and probably leave, maybe for 9 months.
    maybe he will be back for the holidays, claiming to be new here,
    and trolling the same question, can i carry an ak pistol?
    bet he didnt have one back in june, doesnt have one now, and wont have one in december!
    Yep you called it 1245A Defender & the thread got locked by the Admins. This smells of a TROLLING EXPEDITION to me? I know because I was a lurker back in those days and had not signed up yet, but still remember that thread, and the fuss it stirred up

  16. #16
    Regular Member Golden Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    he spent 3 days here back in june 2010,
    now hes here again, he will get tired soon and probably leave, maybe for 9 months.
    maybe he will be back for the holidays, claiming to be new here,
    and trolling the same question, can i carry an ak pistol?
    bet he didnt have one back in june, doesnt have one now, and wont have one in december!

    Yep you called it 1245A Defender & the thread got locked by the Admins. This smells of a TROLLING EXPEDITION to me? I know because I was a lurker back in those days and had not signed up yet, but still remember that thread, and the fuss it stirred up
    +2
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eastpointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    If you do OC an AK or other LG, just make sure the chamber is empty because the trigghr isnt going to be covered, and someone might just stick their finger in there and shoot your gun. As long as nobody got hurt, it would be funny as hell, but would make us all look bad, and wind you wind up here
    It would be funny as hell?! You think somebody sneaking up and firing another persons weapon "would be funny as hell" only if no one is hurt? How is that funny in any way? Describe to us the scenario were a weapon being inappropriately discharged is "funny". I'm really curious, please tell us.
    Last edited by scot623; 03-29-2011 at 12:43 PM.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    It can be more dangerous to take life so seriously.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Is the gun registered as a pistol? The answer to that changes the laws that you have to follow, and weather or not this thread is about to be locked.
    Yes, it is an AK Pistol. I dont want to offend any of you OC'rs. Just want to know if its my right to carry it on a sling or if it had to be holstered. That is all. Thanks!!

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Yep you called it 1245A Defender & the thread got locked by the Admins. This smells of a TROLLING EXPEDITION to me? I know because I was a lurker back in those days and had not signed up yet, but still remember that thread, and the fuss it stirred up
    I do have an AK Pistol and I am new to these forums Jack. You guys are really rude. I would think that anyone could come on here and speak and ask questions without being harrassed. Thanks for nuthin and being the worlds biggest jacko.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    he spent 3 days here back in june 2010,
    now hes here again, he will get tired soon and probably leave, maybe for 9 months.
    maybe he will be back for the holidays, claiming to be new here,
    and trolling the same question, can i carry an ak pistol?
    bet he didnt have one back in june, doesnt have one now, and wont have one in december!
    I do have an AK Pistol and I am new to these forums Jack. You guys are really rude. I would think that anyone could come on here and speak and ask questions without being harrassed. Thanks for nuthin and being the worlds biggest jacko.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtolltally View Post
    Yes, it is an AK Pistol. I dont want to offend any of you OC'rs. Just want to know if its my right to carry it on a sling or if it had to be holstered. That is all. Thanks!!

    It is your right to do so. We have the occasional troll here, and are always on guard. There is also the OCDO rule against LGOC, so we needed to know specifically what it was you were carrying. I wasn't offended, and I'm sorry that you were. At this time, LGOC, and carrying unconventional weapons OC isnt the best thing in our political climate. There is talk about banning OC, and legislation trying to restrict gun rights, some of it as a direct result of things that have gone on in the community over the past year, so as much as I have to choke on these words, people should watch what, where, and how they carry.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Mosnar87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Haven, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    118

    Lightbulb

    Ummm... Not trying to be rude or anything, but You might want to stop saying you are new and insulting people that say you are not new.

    Your profile clearly states that you joined on "06-21-2010" and that you started a thread titled "Open Carry on Sling - Need Help" on the same date.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Why not just bump the old thread. I gave you the benefit of the doubt here, despite some opposition. I guess out Jacks were right again, they usually are.

  25. #25
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    I do have to wonder, why ask almost the same exact question, almost a year later? AND trying to pass himself off as "new to the forum."
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •