• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPEN CARRY LONG RIFLE OR PISTOL ON A SLING ACCROSS YOUR BACK in MI

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathtolltally

I feel silly asking this question as my gut tells me that common sense trumps legality but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what other opinions are.

I have an AK Pistol that I would like to open carry. I know, I know, there are those of you that will say "why would you want to OC an AK Pistol or AR15"? The answer is because its my right for one.

Second, I work in detroit and I cant tell you how many times the sight of that AK saved me from a situation. Plain and simple, when people see it they will not approach you regardless of what thier intentions are and I prefer it that way.

I have seen others OC AR15's and get away with it but what about if the rifle is not in a holster? If its simply on a sling is it legal to carry OC?

I also have an AK Pistol and wanted to know if thats legeal to OC on a sling on your back without a holster. I also purchased a weapons catch but do I need it to be legal?

Please help with legalities.

Thanks!!

deathtolltally

You should seek help in the MI subforum.

Thanks for your response. Where is the MI Subforum? I am new to this site.

--Moderator Note--
LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC:
This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Outdoorsman1

Why would someone ask the same question a year ago then ask it again now...????

I guess the first 4 words to the first reply by sultan62 was dead on...

Originally Posted by sultan62
"You should seek help in the MI subforum."

Outdoorsman1

protect our rights

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Actually that thread was about the 2nd Amendment. Which this forum IS for.

Let me check the title, motto etc of the home page - nope not there.

Let see maybe the rules so confirm your contention - nope not there either.

The forum is not so nearly broad based as you suggest/insist. It is much more narrow in focus being directly and restrictively aimed at open carry by design and wishes of the owners of the site. There have been many comments from them and rule adjustments to reflect that. The General Forum is intended as a collection point for gun things not specific to OC; the Social Lounge for threads/posts not related directly to OC or RKBA.

Would you prefer that the thread had been moved to one of these latter categories from the beginning? Being that the item was likely of more interest to Michigan members, it would seem to me that much consideration was shown leaving it there and open for so long.

stainless1911

Banned
LGOC is legal, but it WILL at this time, cause more harm than good to the OC movement as a whole. I am personally a firm supporter of your RIGHT to carry an AK, but its not the right time. LGOC is off limits on OCDO, I strongly disagree with the rule, but it is what it is. The places listed in 750.234d are still off limits, and you must transport the rifle in accordance with the law. If it is less than 30 inches in length, then it must be registered as a pistol, and carried under the CPL laws of the state. If it is registered as a pistol, then we are again within the rules of OCDO.

protect our rights

Let me check the title, motto etc of the home page - nope not there.

Let see maybe the rules so confirm your contention - nope not there either.

The forum is not so nearly broad based as you suggest/insist. It is much more narrow in focus being directly and restrictively aimed at open carry by design and wishes of the owners of the site. There have been many comments from them and rule adjustments to reflect that. The General Forum is intended as a collection point for gun things not specific to OC; the Social Lounge for threads/posts not related directly to OC or RKBA.

Would you prefer that the thread had been moved to one of these latter categories from the beginning? Being that the item was likely of more interest to Michigan members, it would seem to me that much consideration was shown leaving it there and open for so long.

So 2nd amendment talk is no longer allowed here? I was simply stating( maybe in confusing words?) that there is nothing in the rules that state you can't defends someones 2nd amendment rights on this forum. If that is the case I have joined the wrong forum and I assume many others have too.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
IMHO - a proliferation of postings promoting "non-standard" handguns like the AR and AK variants would more than likely precipitate a rule change even less to the liking of some. As it is there is some latitude.

Paraphrasing an early statement from John (apologies if I don't get it exactly right) that OCDO is about normalizing properly holstered handguns as we go about our normal daily routines. Such is not an in-your-face effort.

Personally I agree with stainless1911 that while legal, the time is not right to push that issue front and center. Where that has been done, out stock has diminished. I choose to not mention specific events and hope that others will understand why.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Correct, save it for Halloween, OC picknics OC functions and things like the second amendment march type of activities.

If you do OC an AK or other LG, just make sure the chamber is empty because the trigghr isnt going to be covered, and someone might just stick their finger in there and shoot your gun. As long as nobody got hurt, it would be funny as hell, but would make us all look bad, and wind you up here:

pug.jpg

1245A Defender

well,,,

You state you live in Detroit. Laws are different in different states.

MI (Michigan) sub-forum is the same one you posted to last year with the exact same question.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?76864-Open-Carry-on-Sling-Need-Help

he spent 3 days here back in june 2010,
now hes here again, he will get tired soon and probably leave, maybe for 9 months.
maybe he will be back for the holidays, claiming to be new here,
and trolling the same question, can i carry an ak pistol?
bet he didnt have one back in june, doesnt have one now, and wont have one in december!

Centurion

now hes here again, he will get tired soon and probably leave, maybe for 9 months.
bet he didnt have one back in june, doesnt have one now, and wont have one in december!

Yep you called it 1245A Defender & the thread got locked by the Admins. This smells of a TROLLING EXPEDITION to me? I know because I was a lurker back in those days and had not signed up yet, but still remember that thread, and the fuss it stirred up

Golden Eagle

Yep you called it 1245A Defender & the thread got locked by the Admins. This smells of a TROLLING EXPEDITION to me? I know because I was a lurker back in those days and had not signed up yet, but still remember that thread, and the fuss it stirred up
+2

scot623

If you do OC an AK or other LG, just make sure the chamber is empty because the trigghr isnt going to be covered, and someone might just stick their finger in there and shoot your gun. As long as nobody got hurt, it would be funny as hell, but would make us all look bad, and wind you wind up here

It would be funny as hell?! You think somebody sneaking up and firing another persons weapon "would be funny as hell" only if no one is hurt? How is that funny in any way? Describe to us the scenario were a weapon being inappropriately discharged is "funny". I'm really curious, please tell us.

Last edited:

deathtolltally

Is the gun registered as a pistol? The answer to that changes the laws that you have to follow, and weather or not this thread is about to be locked.

Yes, it is an AK Pistol. I dont want to offend any of you OC'rs. Just want to know if its my right to carry it on a sling or if it had to be holstered. That is all. Thanks!!

deathtolltally

I do have an AK Pistol and I am new to these forums Jack. You guys are really rude. I would think that anyone could come on here and speak and ask questions without being harrassed. Thanks for nuthin and being the worlds biggest jacko.

Status
Not open for further replies.