• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 3-28-11: No Weakening of HB 111 - CCW in Parks & Restaurants

senojkj

Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10665, Raleigh, NC 27605, 919-664-8565, www.GRNC.org

GRNC Alert 3-28-11:
No Weakening of HB 111 - CCW in Parks & Restaurants

We are in the final push for HB 111, but don't be complacent. The enemies of your freedom and safety are hard at work making certain that your ability to protect yourself and family remains limited. Rumors are rife that their tricks to convince the General Assembly that you are not really behind this move may be taking hold. The result of this will be amendments that will render this bill not much more effective than the current law.

We know that this bill is the desire of North Carolinians because we have heard from them for years on this matter. It is consistently one of the top requests. This is within your grasp, don't let it slip away now.

A quick refresher:

HB 111, "Concealed Handgun Permit Valid in Parks and Restaurants," will restore your right to carry your legally concealed weapon in parks and in restaurants where alcohol is served. You will still be prohibited from consuming alcohol yourself while carrying, but you will thus be allowed the luxury of self protection there.

New suggested talking points:

* NC concealed carry has reduced violent crime: Since 1995, when our concealed carry law passed, the rate of overall NC crime has dropped by 27.7%, while the rate of violent crime dropped by a whopping 37.1%. This mirrors the study by John Lott and David Mustard which found that concealed handgun laws deter murder, rape, and aggravated assault.

* State parks have not seen the same drop: An extrapolation of partial data for the same years estimates only an 8.9% drop in crime within state parks. Although crime in municipal parks is not tracked, news accounts and the urban location of many suggest that crime is actually increasing in these "victim disarmament zones." HB 111 will not only benefit permit-holders, it will deter violent crime.

* NC permit-holders are overwhelmingly responsible: Of 336,743 concealed handgun permits approved since 1995, only 1007 have been revoked for any reason (that's less than a third of one percent, or 0.29%). Although the SBI doesn't keep reasons for revocation, other states' experience suggests that few of those revocations are for misuse of firearms.

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED:

* Use our auto-emailer to send the message detailed below: http://grnc.us/alerts/email3_28_11a.htm
* Call your own representative in the NC House. Tell him or her that you are paying attention and that you want them to pass HB 111 with NO WEAKENING amendments. You may find your representative here: http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

DELIVER THIS MESSAGE:

Honorable Members of the NC House:

There are troubling rumors circulating that weakening amendments to HB 111, "Concealed Handgun Permit Valid in Parks and Restaurants," will be allowed to take root and water down a very good bill. Do NOT under any circumstance allow this. I understand that dirty tricks by anti-gunners are afoot to make legislators doubt the pro-gun and pro-self-defense nature of North Carolinians. Don't believe them.

For sixteen years, North Carolina concealed handgun permit-holders have proven themselves sane, sober and law-abiding. Their overwhelming responsibility is demonstrated by the fact that permit revocations run mere tenths of a single percent.

Because the ability of lawful North Carolinians to protect themselves and their families in restaurants and parks is long overdue, I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO SUPPORT HOUSE BILL 111 by all means substantive and procedural, and to pass the bill WITHOUT WEAKENDING AMENDMENTS. Under the bill, restaurants would still be able to post against firearms, and nothing would change the current prohibition on permit-holders consuming alcohol while carrying firearms.

Make no mistake about this message: NO weakening amendment will be acceptable. I expect you to pass HB 111 as it is with NO weakening amendments.

I will monitor actions on HB 111 via Grass Roots North Carolina legislative alerts.

Respectfully,

----------------------

You may find your NC STATE representative by going here:
http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

You may write your FEDERAL congressman by going here:
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

You may write your FEDERAL senators by going here:
http://www.senate.gov/

-------------------
Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:

Hyatt Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-394-0387, www.hyattguns.com
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; http://www.cegunshows.com/
Dixie Gun and Knife Shows, PO Box 21049, Raleigh, NC 27619, ph: 919-781-1287, www.dixiegunandknifeshow.com/
Ryan & Nina Leonard, Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, www.shootersexpress.com
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, www.gunnersalley.com, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, ed@gunnersalley.com
Patrick J. Phelan, Lake Norman Firearms, Inc., 20823 N. Main Street, Cornelius, NC 28031, www.lknfirearms.com, 704-892-7839
Vanguard Security Consulting, LLC, 19135 W. Catawba Ave, Cornelius, NC 28031
DoubleD Media, 8300 Raintree Lane, Charlotte, NC 28277, ph: 704-650-5555, fx: 704-544-0326, donna@doubledme.com

Northerner

Grnc

Any idea what Ross is up to with HB 250 Militia Law Ammendments. Knowing she is a devote anti and the militia is primarily where our right to bear firearms stems... I am on my droid and don't have full access to the legislator web sight.

sultan62

Grnc

Any idea what Ross is up to with HB 250 Militia Law Ammendments. Knowing she is a devote anti and the militia is primarily where our right to bear firearms stems... I am on my droid and don't have full access to the legislator web sight.

I just read the first 20% or so, and thoroughly scanned the rest. It was just updates to NCGS 127A, along the lines of making 'he' unisex terms, capitalization, spelling changes, etc. Nothing major as far as I can tell.

tak2w

Here are some of the replies I have received....

I sent an email to all house members last week requesting their strong support for this bill with no weakening amendments. Here are some of the responses I received:

Rep. Kelly Hastings: "I am a primary sponsor of the bill."

Rep. Fred Steen: "I totally agree."

Rep. Ray Rapp: "Thank you Mr. (deleted) but I cannot support this bill without some strong amendments."

Representative Diane M. Parfitt: "Thank you for contacting me with this important information. It is always good to hear from individuals who take the time to contact us with their concerns. I appreciate your thoughts on HB 111. I will certainly look into this and will take your thoughts and ideas into consideration as it comes to the House."

Representative Daniel McComas(his aid): "Thank you for contacting our office with your concerns. I wanted to let you know that Representative McComas does support HB 111 and supports your right to protect yourself and your loved ones."

Representative Tim Moffitt: "Thank you for your email. I am a holder of a conceal carry permit who is very supportive of our Second Amendment rights. I want you to be assured that I intend to see that our citizens continue to have the right to defend themselves and their families. In fact, I co-sponsored House Bill 63, “Firearm in Locked Motor Vehicle/Parking Lot”, which states that no business, commercial enterprise, or employer shall prohibit the transportation or storage of a firearm or ammuniation when they are locked out of sight in a motor vehicle. I also co-sponsored House Bill 74, the “Castle Doctrine”, which provides immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action when the use of force or deadly force is justifiable in defense of self, others, or one’s home or vehicle, or in preventing the commission of a forcible felony. Currently I am reviewing House Bill 199 and will work to ensure that domestic violence victims are not blocked from the necessary protections that the law allows for their vunerable situations. Thank you again for your email. I hope you will continue to give your input on issues of importance to you."

All the responses were either positive or an auto-reply message, except for the one Ray Rapp. If you are in his district, you should give him a call.

Northerner

That reminds me. I contact Rep. Ross (D) via e-mail and asked her to explain the logic behind her ammendment to HB111. I wasn't sarcastic. I really wanted to understand an elected official's thoughts and logic behind her ammendment (waitresses asking you if you are carrying). .....I still have not recieved a response 2 weeks later.:confused:

cricketdad

That reminds me. I contact Rep. Ross (D) via e-mail and asked her to explain the logic behind her ammendment to HB111. I wasn't sarcastic. I really wanted to understand an elected official's thoughts and logic behind her ammendment (waitresses asking you if you are carrying). .....I still have not recieved a response 2 weeks later.:confused:

Considering her remarks during debate of HB111 this afternoon, "500 emails dragging my name through the mud", I can understand why she didn't reply to you.

M

mattwestm

A quick question about this bill. Does it allow only concealed carry or is open carry okay? Also, do you need a permit? (won't be a problem for me much longer, I'm almost done with the Florida non-res permit process)

Psst, we all know what this is about ""No question it's a safety issue. I want to know who's buying those pistols," said Harrison, a Republican." I'm sure most of it is because they want the revenue from the permits, but it's also wanting to have a list of pistol owners (why do they need this information/having a CHP messes this list up for the sheriff). Aren't the PPPs essentially shall issue anyways (they can make ridiculous requirements, but can't deny you for random reasons)? Don't they trust the federal NICS check?

Last edited:

cricketdad

A quick question about this bill. Does it allow only concealed carry or is open carry okay? Also, do you need a permit? (won't be a problem for me much longer, I'm almost done with the Florida non-res permit process)

Psst, we all know what this is about ""No question it's a safety issue. I want to know who's buying those pistols," said Harrison, a Republican." I'm sure most of it is because they want the revenue from the permits, but it's also wanting to have a list of pistol owners (why do they need this information/having a CHP messes this list up for the sheriff). Aren't the PPPs essentially shall issue anyways (they can make ridiculous requirements, but can't deny you for random reasons)? Don't they trust the federal NICS check?

No, He said so. His checks are BETTER

papa bear

http://www.wral.com/news/state/nccapitol/story/9351374/

I think the GOLO comments are 12-2 in favor of ammending NC's firearms laws. Get in there and make'm whine!

here is my comment to GOLO. the reference was to the terrorist acts that was mentioned before

"actually, 90% of the of the NUT terrorism were stopped by an armed citizen. what do you think stopped them. and true most were in a gun free zones. which exactly what the present law does. but the point is can any of you anti-rights people tell how by keeping me, a proven responsible, law abiding citizen, unarmed is going to help keep the bad guys from doing harm? "

nobama

I wouldnt expect an answer. You see, the anti liberty liberals just "know better than us" we just need to trust them like they trust us. I cant see any sane person believing the crap and BS they lay out, so there is only one other reason. They want to limit freedom and liberty. Thats it. They know what they want and they know what they do and dont want us to do.

Northerner

Considering her remarks during debate of HB111 this afternoon, "500 emails dragging my name through the mud", I can understand why she didn't reply to you.

I was actually very polite in my request, not condescending at all. I just wanted to understand her logic. Oh well.