• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So you shoot someone in defense of your life, now what?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Call 911.
1) Address or intersection
2) I need police & an ambulance
3) I was attacked & (feared for my life) "thought he was going to kill me!!"
4) I defended myself
5) My attacker is hurt
6) Send help!!! Repeat address or intersection.

Note that 2-5 you're simply telling what happened, so it shouldn't be hard to remember.
I think saying "I defended myself" is better than "I shot him" for a couple of reasons. First, it establishes that you were acting in self-defense. Second, when cops hear "gun" or "shot" they start acting strange. Don't give them time to get keyed up on the drive there.

Put the gun in the holster (once you can make yourself let go, & only if you're reasonably sure the attacker won't come at you again).

Get on another phone to your lawyer, or once cops get near, hang up your 911 call & dial the lawyer.

And as hard as it would be for me, I wouldn't go near the attacker to try to give him first aid or even see if I could tell the calltaker if he was still breathing. He tried to kill me!! I'm not going near him. (Aside from the tampering w/ evidence angle, & the disease angle.)

Once the cops get there, flag them down, point out "That's the guy who attacked me! Please get the ambulance here fast!" (Because I promise you the ambulance crew is waiting just out of range until the police tell them it's safe to come in.)

Other than giving your name, etc.,
and confirming that he attacked you, you were in fear for your life, and so on,
tell them you're really shaken up & will talk to them after you calm down a bit.
If your lawyer is on the way (lucky you), mention that you'll talk after s/he arrives.

Point out witnesses the police should talk to before they walk away.

I would also tell the police that I want the person that I shot ARRESTED! (Even if his head has been "blown clean off" with a .44 magnum.)

Remember the police will take note of anything you say. If you choose to say anything, think carefully. If you're not in a mental state to think carefully, better not to say anything. But is favorable to you when a responding officer is asked if you made any statements and he looks at his notebook and says "Yeah, he said he wanted the guy on the ground arrested."

LR Yote 312

I would also tell the police that I want the person that I shot ARRESTED! (Even if his head has been "blown clean off" with a .44 magnum.)

Remember the police will take note of anything you say. If you choose to say anything, think carefully. If you're not in a mental state to think carefully, better not to say anything. But is favorable to you when a responding officer is asked if you made any statements and he looks at his notebook and says "Yeah, he said he wanted the guy on the ground arrested."

Good Thinking Shotgun !!! I see your point....

But I can almost see the entire PD here and a few other places falling to the ground laughing their a+sses off.

LR Yote

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Good Thinking Shotgun !!! I see your point....

But I can almost see the entire PD here and a few other places falling to the ground laughing their a+sses off.

LR Yote

After you arrest him, I will ID him in a line up too !!!!! Equal Laughing by cops :) Ummm sir....that 12 gauge of yours took his head clean off.......nothing to ID.

Last edited:

Max

Can anyone suggest an attorney with real experience in this issue?

There are not a lot of attorneys with much experience in defending people in defensive shootings. Get your hands on anything written by Massad Ayoob on the topic. He actually spends much of his time teaching attorneys how to defend someone who is accused of a crime in a defensive shooting.

Outdoorsman1

This is almost as good of news as a upcoming Concealed carry permit ! :):):):):)

It was also discussed at that meeting that a bill including "Consitutional Carry" has an EXCELLENT chance of being introduced...maybe even more so than a Concealed Carry Bill....

As with any bill, Constitutional, Concealed, Castler Doctrine, introduction in Madision is just the first (most important) step in it actually becoming law.... we would still have a ways to go...

After attendnig the meeting, I am more hopefull than ever for Constitutional Carry, and an extensive Castle Doctrine Bill.... both of which are my preferences

Outdoorsman1

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
The information about the USCC insurance program was useful. Is anyone aware of other insurance plans that cover defense attorney and liability judgements should a situation occur? Good Castle Doctrine/Hold Your Ground legislation should reduce the cost of such insurance.

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
It was also discussed at that meeting that a bill including "Consitutional Carry" has an EXCELLENT chance of being introduced...maybe even more so than a Concealed Carry Bill....

As with any bill, Constitutional, Concealed, Castler Doctrine, introduction in Madision is just the first (most important) step in it actually becoming law.... we would still have a ways to go...

After attendnig the meeting, I am more hopefull than ever for Constitutional Carry, and an extensive Castle Doctrine Bill.... both of which are my preferences

Outdoorsman1

Yes, Very much agreed !

cleveland

There is a lot of good info here, and I appreciate it. Frankly, I hope it becomes a wasted education. Better that I have it and don't need it, then...

Thanks again!

protias

There is a lot of good info here, and I appreciate it. Frankly, I hope it becomes a wasted education. Better that I have it and don't need it, then...

Thanks again!

Nothing in life is wasted unless you do nothing with it.

cleveland

Get your hands on anything written by Massad Ayoob on the topic. He actually spends much of his time teaching attorneys how to defend someone who is accused of a crime in a defensive shooting.

I read his book "In the Gravest Extreme" and found it very informing. Sure, it was from the 70's or 80's, but the basic information still holds today.

Nothing in life is wasted unless you do nothing with it.

That's certainly a philosophical approach. :)

lockman

State Researcher
Regardless of how you are carrying, or even where. What do you do after the shooting to insure you don't go to prison...or at least lower your chances.

If this is already covered, I could not find it. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Do you or your neighbor have pigs?

Just kidding of course, Call the police and lawyer-up. (easier said than done, but it is the best advise)

cleveland

Call the police and lawyer-up

There is quite a bit more to it then that, and that's why I asked. I don't know much about the Jesus Gonzalez case, but as I understand it he is looking at a bunch of time. I don't want to find myself in that situation.

It seems that getting a lawyer is a good idea, but before carrying I should invest in a quality education. I have had 2 sources of education that constantly come up, NRA's home defense (or the away from home) class, and Ayoob's class.

protias

There is quite a bit more to it then that, and that's why I asked. I don't know much about the Jesus Gonzalez case, but as I understand it he is looking at a bunch of time. I don't want to find myself in that situation.

It seems that getting a lawyer is a good idea, but before carrying I should invest in a quality education. I have had 2 sources of education that constantly come up, NRA's home defense (or the away from home) class, and Ayoob's class.

Jesus is looking at time if convicted. As of now, he's innocent.

I too would like to take a Ayoob class.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
I took the PPA Class a couple years ago, I did take a couple of things from the course, this being one of them... included in the course packet was a page that had a list called "When Police Arrive", I have that page on my desk at work.... I look at it daily, it is in my head now, I do my best to read it out loud (when people aren't around) so I'm accustom to saying these phrases... when my adrenaline (after the defense of my life) is pumping I'm going to relay on my training, these words are part of my training.

When Police Arrive
1. He attacked me (point at the person)
2. I'll sign a complaint.
3. There is the evidence. (point out evidence at the sense, such as the attackers weapon)
4. I need to talk to my lawyer, and I don't consent to any search or seizure.
5. SHUT YOUR MOUTH until you talk to your lawyer

He did also mention in my class to take the ambulance ride, for a couple of reasons in my eyes. 1) you look like the victim to other people at the scene (remember those people might be called as witnesses), I'm confident that what I would do is legal and the legal process will find me innocent, but you know how people can make up stories, or jump to conclusions... so looking like the victim isn't going to hurt you. 2) it will give you time to clear your head without the police trying to question you. I assume that my adrenaline is going to be very high and I might be flustered after the very traumatic situation that just happened.

Last edited: