Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: 3 Wal-mart employees

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lock Haven, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    50

    3 Wal-mart employees

    I was picking up some bath supplies and a gallon of milk when a store manager comes walking up and asks if I have a gun on my hip. The same gun she is staring at in plain sight. I told her yes. Then a male employee asks me if I can put it in the car and come back in. I said that I was not willing to do that but I would leave if he asked me to. He backed off and said that I didn't have to leave.

    At this point I am surrounded by 3 employees.

    I pulled out my LTCF and showed them that I have a permit and I have had a background check and that I know Wal-mart store policy is to respect the laws of whatever state it resides when it comes to carrying a gun. They asked me to cover it and I said that if I did that then I might come back in again in the summer in clothing that would not permit me to conceal properly and besides if I do you will expect me to do so every time someone files a complaint that they saw a gun. I said that I respect your request but I will also respectfully decline and I will be getting my milk and checking out.

    It is important to note that during our conversation I asked repeatedly if they wanted me to leave and they repeatedly said they did not.

    I called 1-800-WAL-MART afterward and asked the lady there to have someone go over store policy with the management and in the future inform the person complaining about store policy and not inconvenience the gun owners who are abiding by state law and store policy.

    It is being forwarded to another level of management and I should get a call back in a couple days.

  2. #2
    Regular Member OldCurlyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    912
    Interesting.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

    Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Were you able to complete your purchase?

    You were more patient than I would have been. Once three employees surrounded me and requested again that I conceal, I would have proceeded to the entrance, handed the milk to the greeter, and walked out.

    I can say that in all the instances where I know that corporate was contacted regarding OCers being harassed, Wal-Mart has apologized and reaffirmed its policy. In one case, I personally received a call from the area manager apologizing to me, even though I was not the carrier, just another of several concerned customers who contacted corporate.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    I would have set the products on the floor, and left.

    Why are you shopping at walmart? They use your money to support those who take your rights.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    ...Why are you shopping at walmart? They use your money to support those who take your rights.
    I shop at Wal-Mart because they represent free enterprise. They get me the most possible value for my dollar. I don't care where they get it. If Americans have priced their production out of the market, tough. They should learn from what Wal-Mart is doing and start competing again, rather than just assuming that "good patriots" buy American. America is about enlightened self-interest. I am being a "good patriot" by exercising my enlightened self-interest--which, these days, is NOT buying American!

    Oh, and they respect my right to carry openly. God Bless Wal-Mart!

  6. #6
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    I agree with Eye (Eye agree with I) that W-M represents value and in this economy, value is the prime consideration. There are things I don't like about their policies on sale of firearms, but their corporate stance on carry in their stores is good. I won't buy anything made in Vietnam, I don't GAS how cheap it is. But made in (still Red) China or 3rd world, sweatshop countries is unavoidable. Given the choice to buy American made or foreign, one is faced with the reality that not everything in American 'made' is, in fact made here. But the profit stays here if an American company. You buy a Jap car made in the US--US workers benefit, sure, but the profit goes to Japan. You buy a Ford made in Mexico, the inverse happens. Real politik has given way to real ekonomics.

  7. #7
    Regular Member NG19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warrensburg, Missouri
    Posts
    113
    First off, I am a new guy to this group, but, I also work at Wal-Mart. I agree with t1m0thy, Wal-Mart's opinion is that they agree with the local laws of what ever city they are in. There are Managers and even Upper Management that do not like guns in there stores. All you have to do is ask to speak with either the Store Manager or the District Manager and that should set the whole situation straight. A good thing to do is, if you are confronted in a local Wal-Mart is to get the District Managers phone number and put it on your cell so if the manager asks you to leave and they will not call the Store Manager then you can just say that you will call the District Manager yourself. They will generally know the law and will enforce it. Most of them have had calls like this before. Just stay calm and DO NOT WALK OUT. That is like saying that they are right and will just give them the image that we will not stand our ground to use our rights. The next time you go in you will be asked to leave, and so on and so forth. Just the same as every other Open Carrying person who walks in. If you do stand your ground then they will eventually fold due to higher authority. If the Higher Authority does not agree with you then you will have to leave and then proceed to call 1-800-WALMART to set that person straight. I am happy that it all worked out in this case.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I shop at Wal-Mart because they represent free enterprise. They get me the most possible value for my dollar. I don't care where they get it. If Americans have priced their production out of the market, tough. They should learn from what Wal-Mart is doing and start competing again, rather than just assuming that "good patriots" buy American. America is about enlightened self-interest. I am being a "good patriot" by exercising my enlightened self-interest--which, these days, is NOT buying American!

    Oh, and they respect my right to carry openly. God Bless Wal-Mart!
    That wasnt the angle I was coming from. Walmart is a major contributor to MAIG, mayors against illegal guns, and similar anti gun organizations.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    That wasnt the angle I was coming from. Walmart is a major contributor to MAIG, mayors against illegal guns, and similar anti gun organizations.
    Do you have support for this statement?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    I know someone who does, DrTodd. Lemme go ask him for the cite.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I know someone who does, DrTodd. Lemme go ask him for the cite.
    I would certainly be interested in seeing proof of this. The Walton family was and is very conservative, so unless new management they have hired has brought 180 degree change, it's hard to believe. They own 46+% of the company, so contributing to a radical pos like bloomberg is' extremely' hard to believe.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 03-30-2011 at 04:06 PM.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    I was surprised at first as well, Im sure DR Todd will be along shortly, or will provide me with a cite. He is well respected on the Michigan forums.

  13. #13
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I was surprised at first as well, Im sure DR Todd will be along shortly, or will provide me with a cite. He is well respected on the Michigan forums.
    Thanks stainless1911. The link for the MAIG coporate partnership is here: http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns....tnership.shtml

    My (personal) understanding of Walmart's "policy" is that ANY behavior could cause one to be banned from the store.

    My personal experience from September of 2009: carrying openly around 9:30pm, after about 25 minutes in the store I was approached by the manager and two other employees. They asked if I was aware that Walmart forbids firearms. I told them that I actually believed the opposite to be true... that they allowed all carry as long as it was legal. They said I was wrong and that I needed to leave the store. I asked if I could just conceal ( I have a CPL), as I was leaving anyway. They said no, that I needed to secure the firearm in my car and, if I wanted to return, I was welcome to as long as it was without my firearm.
    I left approximately $150 worth of merchandise in the cart and walked out of the store. I then emailed Walmart explaining what had happened. I received a response that they would take my comments and contact me if need be... obviously a standard response.
    I received a phone call the next day from a Walmart representative that stated that they do follow state law BUT the decision is ultimately left up to the manager; they also stated that I was welcome to shop at Walmart as long as I did not have a firearm with me. I reiterated that I would abide by their "rule" and never set foot in their Walmart again and that it seemed strange that they would be willing to forgo the approximately $3000 that I spent per year in these economic times. The person stated that they were sorry I felt that way.
    Since that time I have not stepped into a Walmart and refuse to allow ANY Walmart products be at my home; I even told a person who attended a party at my house to remove the soda from my home that he had bought at Walmart.
    This year, I have an coworker who works part-time at my employer and part-time at Walmart. When I told him of my "adventure", he said that he was not surprised but that the manager was likely no longer at that store. Although I think it likely that he has moved on to another store, I have an issue with the response that I received from Walmart and still refuse to have anything to do with them. In my mind, they are hypocrites who are attempting to pull one over on gun owners. Yes, they have cheap prices. But, my experience and the partnership with MAIG tells me that they are no friend of firearm owners.
    BTW, I was wearing my business casual work clothes: tan khaki's, dress shoes, and a button-down polo-type shirt.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  14. #14
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Here's the specific link to the Walmart partnership with MAIG:

    http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns....pr007-08.shtml

  15. #15
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    The fact that they are the ONLY corporate partner speaks volumes about their commitment to the 2nd amendment.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    That wasnt the angle I was coming from. Walmart is a major contributor to MAIG, mayors against illegal guns, and similar anti gun organizations [emphases added].
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Here's the specific link to the Walmart partnership with MAIG:

    http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns....pr007-08.shtml
    The link does NOT support the contention in the first quoted post.
    Last edited by eye95; 03-30-2011 at 09:18 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    The link does NOT support the contention in the first quoted post.
    I agree. That they want to open in New Jerk City may have had more to do with it than anything else. I see no evidence of any financial support to the pos organization.

    What I do see is a disproportionate number of black mayors. Just like Jews who are anti-2A, I can only scratch my head and wonder why? Poor inner city, decent people who need protection the most are overwhelmingly black. And a Jew who doesn't remember what "Never again!" means is a disgrace to his own history. Just my 2C, of course.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Thanks stainless1911. The link for the MAIG coporate partnership is here: http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns....tnership.shtml

    My (personal) understanding of Walmart's "policy" is that ANY behavior could cause one to be banned from the store.

    My personal experience from September of 2009: carrying openly around 9:30pm, after about 25 minutes in the store I was approached by the manager and two other employees. They asked if I was aware that Walmart forbids firearms. I told them that I actually believed the opposite to be true... that they allowed all carry as long as it was legal. They said I was wrong and that I needed to leave the store. I asked if I could just conceal ( I have a CPL), as I was leaving anyway. They said no, that I needed to secure the firearm in my car and, if I wanted to return, I was welcome to as long as it was without my firearm.
    I left approximately $150 worth of merchandise in the cart and walked out of the store. I then emailed Walmart explaining what had happened. I received a response that they would take my comments and contact me if need be... obviously a standard response.
    I received a phone call the next day from a Walmart representative that stated that they do follow state law BUT the decision is ultimately left up to the manager; they also stated that I was welcome to shop at Walmart as long as I did not have a firearm with me. I reiterated that I would abide by their "rule" and never set foot in their Walmart again and that it seemed strange that they would be willing to forgo the approximately $3000 that I spent per year in these economic times. The person stated that they were sorry I felt that way.
    Since that time I have not stepped into a Walmart and refuse to allow ANY Walmart products be at my home; I even told a person who attended a party at my house to remove the soda from my home that he had bought at Walmart.
    This year, I have an coworker who works part-time at my employer and part-time at Walmart. When I told him of my "adventure", he said that he was not surprised but that the manager was likely no longer at that store. Although I think it likely that he has moved on to another store, I have an issue with the response that I received from Walmart and still refuse to have anything to do with them. In my mind, they are hypocrites who are attempting to pull one over on gun owners. Yes, they have cheap prices. But, my experience and the partnership with MAIG tells me that they are no friend of firearm owners.
    BTW, I was wearing my business casual work clothes: tan khaki's, dress shoes, and a button-down polo-type shirt.
    Thank you for the link, although my post, supra, mentions lack of credible evidence that W-M does anything more than pimp for permission to open in NYC by the dicks' website PR links. Still, I understand your position completely.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •