• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Wisconsin Army

Captain Nemo

I found this interesting article on a blog.

The world's largest army... America 's hunters!

A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking conclusion:

There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin.

Allow me to restate that number.

Over the last several months, Wisconsin 's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world.

More men under arms than in Iran.

More than in France and Germany combined.

These men deployed to the woods of a single American state to hunt with firearms, and no one was killed.

That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and Michigan 's 700,000 hunters, all of whom have now returned home.

Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally establishes the fact that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.

The point?

America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.

That's why all enemies, foreign and domestic, want to see us disarmed.

Food for thought when next we consider gun control.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My comments:
The Wisconsin numbers contain some other not so obvious info:

If there are an average of 1.5 hunters per household then 450,000 households in wisconsin contain at least one firearm.

When you add the number of households that contain firearms by non-hunters the total number of households that contain firearms is probably close to the original 600,000.

Of the 600,000 hunters in Wisconsin any hunter born after Jan 1, 1973 has received firearm safe handling training. The DNR reports indicate the mean age of hunters is around 40 years old which means the majority of the 600,000 have received the training. Additional mandatory training to insure safe handling in order to carry a concealed firearm is neither necessary or cost effective for the state.

The state revenue from license sales alone is $18,000,000. ( 600,000 X $30) How much does WAVE contribute to state revenues?When you add clothing sales, ammo sales, grocery sales, fuel sales, equipment sales, firearm sales, room and board sales, etc. hunting becomes an enormous economic resource for the state.

The 600,000 number only represents deer hunters. The figures go up significantly when you add small game/waterfowl only hunters and archery only hunters.

These numbers are awesome. Just think of the power we would have in the legislature if we hunters/gun owners could put our differences and egoes aside and speak with one voice. The antis wouldn't have a chance.

anmut

I found this interesting article on a blog.

The world's largest army... America 's hunters!

A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking conclusion:

There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin.

Allow me to restate that number.

Over the last several months, Wisconsin 's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world.

More men under arms than in Iran.

More than in France and Germany combined.

These men deployed to the woods of a single American state to hunt with firearms, and no one was killed.

That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and Michigan 's 700,000 hunters, all of whom have now returned home.

Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally establishes the fact that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.

The point?

America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My comments:
The Wisconsin numbers contain some other not so obvious info:

If there are an average of 1.5 hunters per household then 450,000 households in wisconsin contain at least one firearm.

When you add the number of households that contain firearms by non-hunters the total number of households that contain firearms is probably close to the original 600,000.

Of the 600,000 hunters in Wisconsin any hunter born after Jan 1, 1973 has received firearm safe handling training. The DNR reports indicate the mean age of hunters is around 40 years old which means the majority of the 600,000 have received the training. Additional mandatory training to insure safe handling in order to carry a concealed firearm is neither necessary or cost effective for the state.

The state revenue from license sales alone is $18,000,000. ( 600,000 X $30) How much does WAVE contribute to state revenues?When you add clothing sales, ammo sales, grocery sales, fuel sales, equipment sales, firearm sales, room and board sales, etc. hunting becomes an enormous economic resource for the state.

The 600,000 number only represents deer hunters. The figures go up significantly when you add small game/waterfowl only hunters and archery only hunters.

These numbers are awesome. Just think of the power we would have in the legislature if we hunters/gun owners could put our differences and egoes aside and speak with one voice. The antis wouldn't have a chance.

Have a link? I'd like to put that on FB.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
That's also enough patriots to RESET this Country. God forbid something like that would happen.

With just 450,000 police in the US ( Combined, Local, County, state & federal ) & our over stretched Military with just 1.2 Million members that's ALL of our troops ( Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine , Coast Guard, Reserves & National Guard )

Last edited:

phred

fyi. There were 977,505 hunting licenses sold in Wisconsin last year. This info was taken from a fact sheet given at the Safety Instructors Banquet a couple weekends ago. Bow hunters/licenses may also be included in this. Since there are several types of hunting licenses (Sportsman, Patron, big game, small game, etc), actual numbers of individual hunters may not be able to be easily determined. The DNR would have to do a sort and sift of all of their information.

CalicoJack10

There are also about 448,000 veterans in Wisconsin and it is estimated that less than 1/4 hunt. This is based on a study that was done by some college student. When I find the link to it again I will post it up here.

civilwarguy

There are also about 448,000 veterans in Wisconsin and it is estimated that less than 1/4 hunt. This is based on a study that was done by some college student. When I find the link to it again I will post it up here.

unfortunately as i have found out NOT all veterans are pro carry. I know first hand of one who thinks anyone carrying who is not LEO should be arrested and the key thrown away.:banghead:

CalicoJack10

unfortunately as i have found out NOT all veterans are pro carry. I know first hand of one who thinks anyone carrying who is not LEO should be arrested and the key thrown away.:banghead:

WOW!

That is crazy!I have met thousands of veterans, and I work with or talk to many of them to this day. I only met 1 that is not a fan of guns, but she had no problem with me carrying. I can't say that I have ever met one that is against carrying.

The general consensus is that it is our right, and that is what we fought for, our Rights.

civilwarguy

WOW!

That is crazy!I have met thousands of veterans, and I work with or talk to many of them to this day. I only met 1 that is not a fan of guns, but she had no problem with me carrying. I can't say that I have ever met one that is against carrying.

The general consensus is that it is our right, and that is what we fought for, our Rights.

I know what you mean but the one in particular i am speaking of (a few here know to what i am referring) has literally become a thorn i my side to the point even sitting in my house carrying i am always just waiting to see what he is gonna pull next to infringe on my rights or what story he is gonna make up to get the police to punish me. CalicoJack if you want to talk about this more please feel free to PM me but i will leave it at what i have stated in the public area.

Captain Nemo

Thanks phred for the total number of hunting license sales. I've been trying to get the numbers from the DNR. The 600,000 number I used was a rounded off number of deer hunters based on license sale count. Your number adds 377,505 more for a total of 977,505 license sales. Some, of course, are multiple sales to one person so it isn't representative of the actual number of hunters. If we use a figure of $20 as the average cost of the 377,505 licenses it totals to $7,500,000. That added to the $18,000,000 of gun deer license sales equals $25,500,000 contributed to the DNR coffers by hunters as a result of hunting license sales alone. Pheasant stamps and turkey stamps and permit request costs would add even more to that figure.

Too bad the hunting community as a whole doesn't want to get involved in our cause. They of course will be more than happy to share the benefits.

My opinion and the figures are estimates.

Interceptor_Knight

Most "Hunters" are most definitely not soldiers nor even prepared for self defense using a firearm.
Chai Vang did not receive a single gunshot wound.
Not a single neighborhood "Hunter" returned fire at James Cruckson.

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
WOW!

My American Legion in Michigan just banned all firearms from their post....I know what hypocrites. The National and State legions were no help as local posts are free to do whatever they want. Funny as the preamble to the legions constitution is to protect and defend the US Constitution.

Venator

Most "Hunters" are most definitely not soldiers nor even prepared for self defense using a firearm.
Chai Vang did not receive a single gunshot wound.
Not a single neighborhood "Hunter" returned fire at James Cruckson.

Perhaps, but the point is that there are lots of people with lots of guns, that could be called upon if needed. Even if 10% from each state were motivated to action, that's a hell of a lot.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
My American Legion in Michigan just banned all firearms from their post....I know what hypocrites. The National and State legions were no help as local posts are free to do whatever they want. Funny as the preamble to the legions constitution is to protect and defend the US Constitution.

Even the Rifles they use for Honor Guard ? Military Funerals

Interceptor_Knight

WOW!

I have met way too many over the years. The majority of vets which I have met who are against the carry of firearms by anyone but police have been Vietnam era vets. This is the same for those against offensive looking black rifle owneship.

Venator

Even the Rifles they use for Honor Guard ? Military Funerals

Our post lost them in a fire, (old post burned to the ground about 4 years ago.) I don't know if they replaced them. Perhaps the honor guard own their own and don't bring them in the post.

But I'm sure they would allow those guns anyway, hypocrites...