• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in State Parks?

Sonora Rebel

Just carry the gun 'n don't sweat it. This ain't New Jersey. There might be a problem in an 'improved area' if the Ranger's a dick, but out in the wilds you'll most likely not encounter any. I never have.

Thoreau

Just carry the gun 'n don't sweat it. This ain't New Jersey. There might be a problem in an 'improved area' if the Ranger's a dick, but out in the wilds you'll most likely not encounter any. I never have.

The 'improved areas' exception went the way of the dodo bird with the last batch of pro-2a legislation that passed. Carry of any type in any part of a state (or city, or county, etc.) park is 100% legal and can NOT be restricted in any way. No more permit requirements, no more 'improved' areas, no more 'less than 1 square mile', etc.

South Mountain, for the record, is a City of Phoenix park. I've been battling them for a while and just recently was informed that new signage is 'forthcoming' in city parks. Be sure to keep an eye on the signs and if you see any restrictions, I'd share that here, with the AZCDL, and with the Phoenix parks/rec department. (Based on size, that park has NEVER legally been able to restrict firearms, but that hasn't stopped the City of Phoenix with other parks, such as Reach 11.) Of course, seeing said signs means nothing, legally speaking, so carry away =)

Last edited:

Grimes

Yeah, I looked on the City of Phoenix, South Mountain website and in the Park Regulations, the section labeled "Sec. 24-45. - Reserved." now says

"Editor's note— Ord. No. G-5532, § 2, adopted August 31, 2010, effective September 30, 2010, repealed § 24-45 in its entirety. Formerly, said section pertained to limitations on firearms possession in parks; exceptions; classification; definition and derived from Ord. No. G-4320, § 2, passed 1-10-2001, eff. 1-10-2001; Ord. No. G-5220, § 1, adopted 8-27-2008, eff. 9-26-2008. The user's attentio is directed to § 24-44 for similar provisions. "

Last edited: