• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this the dumbest carry idea, ever? The M906 blank firing pistol

Badger Johnson

Title says it all. From an ad in my gun magazine. Shoots only blanks, is legal 100% everywhere (??).

The copy said the shooter pulled it on a would-be burglar and fired it, gunpowder flame and brass cartridge ejected scaring the BG away.

I can't believe this is legal, or that it would be a worthwhile deterrent UNLESS backed up by an actual HG.

Obviously, the BG thought it was a real gun and just missed him...

In a bizarre way it does make a kind of freakish sense, i.e. you can actually fire it and we know that many robberies and so forth have been deterred just by the sight of a gun.

Anyone know any more on the legality?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It would help to know what state you are in. Blank guns/starter guns are legal in some states, legal in some parts of some state, and illegal in some states.

stay safe.

beebobby

I would think that carrying a blank pistol openly would have the same deterrent effect that carrying an unloaded real pistol would with the added bonus of being able to fire (noise, smoke, flash)without loading.

Outdoorsman1

I would agree stuipd idea... what if the BG figures it out after you shoot that it is a "fake" gun... your dead...

I carry fully loaded (1 in the chamber) and (God Forbid), if I ever draw my weapon, it will be only in self-defence, NOT in an attempt to scare the BG away...

Outdoorsman1

Motofixxer

Many locations have legislation regarding the use\carry of "facsimile" firearms. If anything happens while you have it, many times they will charge you with a regular firearm because that's what it's perceived to be. So why carry a fake?

eye95

That is the question, "Why carry a fake?" It has almost all of the downside with almost none of the upside of carrying a real firearm.

Badger Johnson

Yeah, what mr eye said...but someone is buying them and, in fact there's quite a few youtubes on them, demoing, firing, critiquing.

According to one youtube there are a lot of people in Germany who carry these. Not sure what their thinking is.

All I know is that if I had one, I would want a real backup gun and I would not want to be firing it to scare people, though it might function as a 'non-lethal' weapon, it's better to get pepper spray, combat flashlight and tazer well before investing in this (again as a back up to a real gun).

The -idea- of having a startling, and/or (momentarily) disabling, non-lethal, option is a good one but this one just has too big a downside.

Last edited:

eddallen1958

Let's see. Shoot him with a blank. He in return has a gun and shoots you with a JHP. If I'm going to squeeze that trigger, I want a real bullet coming out.

DevinWKuska

Hey if it gets a few anti gun nuts to carry one then I support it all the way! I live near seattle and there are too many liberal folks who wont own a gun because "Killing people is wrong." The way I figure it if they feel better about carrying these "Cap guns" then that will make OC or CC in general more accepted. Who knows maybe once they do that and they get robbed anyways.... they will become pro-gun or atleast carry for self defense. Baby steps folks... Baby steps!

eddallen1958

Hey if it gets a few anti gun nuts to carry one then I support it all the way! I live near seattle and there are too many liberal folks who wont own a gun because "Killing people is wrong." The way I figure it if they feel better about carrying these "Cap guns" then that will make OC or CC in general more accepted. Who knows maybe once they do that and they get robbed anyways.... they will become pro-gun or atleast carry for self defense. Baby steps folks... Baby steps!

Interesting thought. It will probably cost a some innocent lives but it could work. A high price to pay for education.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Many locations have legislation regarding the use\carry of "facsimile" firearms. If anything happens while you have it, many times they will charge you with a regular firearm because that's what it's perceived to be. So why carry a fake?

I believe the 'Facsimile Firearm" statute in WI only comes into play if you use a fake gun during the commission of a crime such as "Armed Robbery" because technically you are not armed, but your victim thinks you are and complies for that reason.

yes, people have been wrongfully charged for that offense in WI, the latest I remember was some kids having an airsoft gun, and playing with it in a car, an informant called it in, a cop did a felony stop, and when he found out it was a toy, wrongfully used the F-F law to charge them. Why, because he can't just let the dumb kids go on there way with a warning even though no laws were actually broken.

Badger Johnson

When I was a kid we had so many 'gun toys' it was ridiculous. In the Bond, Max Smart days they'd have replica silencers and shoulder holsters and other awesome toys.

I had a Thompson Submachine gun that would break down into about 10 other guns down to a pistol, and then screw it back together.

I had a big black M-1 type gun which was a water gun. We ran around the streets with old WWI guns with no bullets and Lugers and played combat, and many a kid would wear a pair of six-guns and cowboy hat 24/7. We took toy guns to school, and every boy had a boyscount folding knife. One guy traded me a Barlow knife for a toy hand grenade IN CLASS during our little mik break. Never a problem.

BTW, the toy grenade was completely realistic and the clip would spring off when you pulled the pin and a greenie stick'em cap would go bang. Oh and I had a toy derringer belt buckle which fired caps which I wore all the time.

Now, your kid draws a picture of a gun and he's expelled. It's kinda sad they have to miss all this fun part of a boy's childhood.

Last edited: