• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senate Bill 98 Hearing, Wednesday March. 30, 2011!

aadvark

To ALL Members of The Georgia Open Carry Forum

The Georgia General Assembly House of Representatives will hold a Hearing on Senate Bill 98 on Wednesday March. 30, 2011 at 3:00 p.m. in The Coverdell Office Building in Room 515!

Please!..., Call Chairman Timothy Bearden and Senator Loudermilk in support of Our Rights, and Encourage The Committee to Strike The Exception Language mentioned for Local Governments, from The Application of Georgia Law 16-11-173!

Georgia Weapons Carry Licensees SHOULD be TRUSTED State-wide, not just in some Places!

If You can..., Please Attend!

aadvark

Fabricator

Please help me understand these exceptions better. I would like to have abetter understanding before calling the chairmans' office.

"Gracias" as is said in my neck of the woods,

Fabricator

Fabricator

Chairman Bearden's cell number was on his home page: 770-880-5377 I left him a message earlier to thank him for his support of our 2a rights and encouraged him to have the "exception language" striken. I suspect that 3 hours prior to the vote is a bit late, but I will certainly use my growing knowledge of our legislative process to stay involved in the future. Thanks to all on this site that help educate the "legislative neophytes" like myself.

Kindest regards,

Fabricator

aadvark

Fabricator:

I Called Senator Jeff Mullis' Office Today, April 1st, in Regards to Your Question.

It Appears that The Liasons for The House of Representatives have Indicated that The House wants to Postpone Action on Firearm-realted Matters until Next Year when They can Create another Omnibus Firearms Bill.

aadvark

Fabricator

Aadvark,

Thanks for looking into this!!! I assume that this would be a "2012" issue, and there is little hope of seeing additional progress on this for 2011? Additionally, do you have any additonal insight into this "Omnibus" bill you mentioned? Is this likely to be a positive step for those in support of the 2A? Lastly, any ideas about what else one can do? As I mentioned earlier in another thread, I am new to getting involved in local/state government, and regretfully have much ignorance about how our rights have been compromised, and how to restore them.

Fabricator

Last edited:

Fabricator

Answering one's own question...

Howdy all,

At risk of being a post whore, and repling to my own question, I have decided to do so anyway. If I had known how accessible this information was, I would have gotten involved sooner. Let this be a lesson to others: Swallow any pride you have and ask seemingly "stupid" questions anyway. It's your rights that are at stake!

While trying to understand our legislative system, and also participate (for the first time; besides voting), I decided to do some much needed research, and ended up learning much; here's some of what I found:

1) Your legislators need to know what is important to YOU the voter, and may even listen. I placed a call to Representative Tim Bearden's office this morning, and received a call back in 2 hrs! He shared where things were with SB98, and spoke about the favorable outcome that seems likely on many other pro-2a bills in the GA Senate. He also elaborated a bit on the "Omnibus" bill they are working on, and said it will be as beneficial or more, than HB308, and should address the church carry, and many other issues that will clarify where we can/cannot carry. He said part of the difficulty with the mass of pro-2a bills currently before lawmakers is in the quantity of individual bills, and the "overlap" they have. He also thanked me for calling and voicing support/thanks. Additionally, he suggested I contact my local rep (Casey Cagle), and our Governor, Nathan Deal. He reminded me that we got where we are (with the current "prohibitive laws") by not being involved in local government.

2) Join LOCAL organizations like "GeorgiaCarry.org", and even consider the dreaded NRA... They are a way to help make your voice heard on a larger scale. If there are others worth being part of, please post them! I spoke with Georgia carry's Jerry Henry today as well, and he proved to be the consumate gentleman-scholar, and I was honored to send them more than the $16 minimum annual membership donation. He spoke of some training he is part of with Atl. police, and how it will help educate officers about lawfully armed citizens. He also told me about his recent interview with an Atlanta Journal and Constitution reporter about firearms. He did not know at the time she was "not an advocate" of weapons carry (sarcasm implied), but it goes to show how respectful conversations can be beneficial to both parties; regardless of viewpoint.
Article link here:

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/we-are-fighting-for-895709.html

Thank you all as always for tolerating my legislative ignorance here! I've spent the past 10 years building a business, and was not cognizent of what can happen to one's state and country when one is not at least partially involved/aware of legislation being proposed!

Fabricator

aadvark

Fabricator:

There are SO MANY Things I would Like to Change... I COULD 'go on for Hours', so-to-Speak.

aadvark

Tolderian

Please help me understand these exceptions better. I would like to have abetter understanding before calling the chairmans' office.

"Gracias" as is said in my neck of the woods,

Fabricator

Was this ever answered? I'd like to know as well. I read the little PDF that's up but... legalese is meant to be vague and obscure. I don't trust my eyes.

"What does it all mean basil"?