Thread: Flying with a firearm? Good info.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Flying with a firearm? Good info.

Good info on locks, cases and rules for transporting a firearm via airlines, etc., http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/
    Here he is on youtube. Adult langouge is used. The S and F word a few times.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

I have flown with my normal carry gun several times. A pelican case is a must! TSA locks are a big no-no. Most of the time, ammo in a magazine will not go over well, as they read the law to mean it has to be in a case. Checking a larger bag with your gun case inside of it is a good idea, as it hides it from potential thieves.

I've flown with firearms to both California and Florida a few times. It is really quite easy. I landed and departed during the California trips from LAX without any problems.
    The only things I would add is to check the destination's gun laws before you leave at www.handgunlaw.us and to avoid NY and NJ like the plague.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrenchudm View Post
    Checking a larger bag with your gun case inside of it is a good idea, as it hides it from potential thieves.
    From the video they say that is a bad idea (which i agree with). If some one looks in your bag how hard would it be to walk off with a pistol case?

Quote Originally Posted by WilDChilD View Post
    From the video they say that is a bad idea (which i agree with). If some one looks in your bag how hard would it be to walk off with a pistol case?
    Are you saying sending a pistol case, by itself is a better option as it is less likely to be taken??
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

My understanding, from watching this presentation, is that if you use a gun case that is not lockable inside of luggage that is locked the TSA has to consider the outer Luggage the "gun case" and thus must only open it in your presence.

IINAL.

ETA: If it was me, I would use hard side Luggage like Pelican cases or the mortar cases the gentleman doing the presentation used, as the security of your firearm relies on the LOCKED luggage, not on the gun case.
    Last edited by Mosnar87; 04-01-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    How do you suppose they would know your gun case had no lock without first opening the suitcase?
    AFAIK, TSA is required to screen your luggage containing a declared firearm, immediately, in your presence and then tag it as screened, this usually involves an X-ray and then if something comes up that piques their interest they will ask you to open the case and they will inspect the contents. The luggage should not leave your presence untill it has a TSA inspection sticker and you have personally re-locked it.
    Last edited by Mosnar87; 04-02-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosnar87 View Post
    AFAIK, TSA is required to screen your luggage containing a declared firearm, immediately, in your presence and then tag it as screened, this usually involves an X-ray and then if something comes up that piques their interest they will ask you to open the case and they will inspect the contents. The luggage should not leave your presence untill it has a TSA inspection sticker and you have personally re-locked it.

This is generally correct. However most of the time they hand inspect these and do a bomb swab as well. The rest of what my brother said is correct!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."